Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2021, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Wow.Thought that stuff was sorta fake/sketchy. Do tell!Me too.
Buy low...sell high...and never invest what you cannot afford to lose.

Start off with a small account on Coinbase, small sums, see what you think and see how you do.

Re the 28-45 F4.5 vs the 32-64 Fuji - there was a sample image I saw with the Fuji with very soft sides - worse than my Nikon 14-24 which was a joke for this. So bad I cropped square. Maybe the lens was a bad copy - but it was very smeary in the sides. Given the 4:3 aspect ratio this is pretty worrying.

I've not seen this issue with any Pentax lens - but the 28-45 costs new 4400 - the Fuji 32-64 literally half this amount so no wonder it is a lousy performer.

01-28-2021, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
Buy low...sell high...and never invest what you cannot afford to lose.

Start off with a small account on Coinbase, small sums, see what you think and see how you do.

Re the 28-45 F4.5 vs the 32-64 Fuji - there was a sample image I saw with the Fuji with very soft sides - worse than my Nikon 14-24 which was a joke for this. So bad I cropped square. Maybe the lens was a bad copy - but it was very smeary in the sides. Given the 4:3 aspect ratio this is pretty worrying.

I've not seen this issue with any Pentax lens - but the 28-45 costs new 4400 - the Fuji 32-64 literally half this amount so no wonder it is a lousy performer.
A pro reviewed the Fujifilm 100 mp mf camera (he owns it). He was less than impressed with the zooms. He loved the 110 F2. He also wasn't a big fan of the tiny joystick ergonomics vs the Fuji APS-c camera's.

Thanks,
barondla
01-28-2021, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It was crypto for me - paid out well and treated myself to the 645z I was in the market for an SLR replacement for my D810's and the deal was good. Sony didn't get a look in. I've always just wanted one and now I have one. eBay churned up a lovely 200f4, 80-160 - and Park cameras a nice 45-85 and I bit the bullet on a new 28-45 which blows Fuji's 32-64 out the water.

That said - if I was ok with mirrorless I'd have gone with Fuji. I really hope Pentax continue with the system and put the 100mp sensor in a revised 645z for 2022 or so
It was Drexion ETFs 3X for me, so I just got the 645Z and all the lenses except the 28-45 and couple of long telephotos and having fun, also all the P67s except the fisheye and about three of the ultra long telephotos and love using them on the Z.
01-28-2021, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was crypto for me - paid out well and treated myself to the 645z I was in the market for an SLR replacement for my D810's and the deal was good. Sony didn't get a look in. I've always just wanted one and now I have one. eBay churned up a lovely 200f4, 80-160 - and Park cameras a nice 45-85 and I bit the bullet on a new 28-45 which blows Fuji's 32-64 out the water.

That said - if I was ok with mirrorless I'd have gone with Fuji. I really hope Pentax continue with the system and put the 100mp sensor in a revised 645z for 2022 or so
That's fantastic, SFT! What a combo you have now.

The Fujis except for the real top of the line only have Contrast Detect autofocus, so I would *never* buy them. I don't just shoot landscapes. Same for the Panasonic and Sigma mirrorless full frames.

01-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax should have refreshed the FA lenses they are still selling.
Like the Q system in its end phase, the 645 system is hanging on until the current stock of lenses is sold off.
01-28-2021, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Like the Q system in its end phase, the 645 system is hanging on until the current stock of lenses is sold off.
It's possible.

As discussed above, the economics of medium format is dubious, and Fuji might not recover their investment. Hasselblad didn't, and they were market leaders along with Phase One.

We know that Ricoh has re-dedicated itself to the K mount, but if the Excel spreadsheets say money can be recouped, I think medium format is actually a good place to bring mirrorless back into the Pentax lineup. Inside it would be the engine of the K-3 III.

And it would have a flippy screen.
01-28-2021, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's fantastic, SFT! What a combo you have now.

The Fujis except for the real top of the line only have Contrast Detect autofocus, so I would *never* buy them. I don't just shoot landscapes. Same for the Panasonic and Sigma mirrorless full frames.
Actually, over the last couple years all the X system cameras have PDAF, even the entry-level models. Fuji calls it "Hybrid AF". The reason I would never buy them is only the top-tier bodies come with a decent EVF.
01-28-2021, 10:00 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Actually, over the last couple years all the X system cameras have PDAF, even the entry-level models. Fuji calls it "Hybrid AF". The reason I would never buy them is only the top-tier bodies come with a decent EVF.
Nuh, not in medium format, Luftfluss.

Banding is a result of the baked-in algorithms unable to conceal that strips of the sensor are blind spots, there's nothing reaching them, they're used for autofocus.

The recent GFX100 suffers from this now it has PDAF.

No mirror = taking pixels away from the sensor.

01-29-2021, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nuh, not in medium format, Luftfluss.

Banding is a result of the baked-in algorithms unable to conceal that strips of the sensor are blind spots, there's nothing reaching them, they're used for autofocus.

The recent GFX100 suffers from this now it has PDAF.

No mirror = taking pixels away from the sensor.
The PDAF issue is a big issue on the Z7, A7R3 so again if Pentax get this sensor - fits it to a 645zII you'll have a proper 100mp crop MF camera. What's not to love