Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2021, 01:32 PM   #1

Autofocus not working on Pentax 645n

Hi everyone,

I've acquired a Pentax 645n with a 55mm manual lens last December, I've been shooting with it and everything works well so far
Now, I just bought a used FA 120mm Macro F4 lens today (autofocus lens) form Kamerastore.com and when I tried it on, I could only use manual focus and autofocus didn't seem to work.

The lens itself is used but in good mechanical and optical condition as certified by Kamerastore, no apparent sign of shock or anything. And all functions of the camera body have been working perfectly so far.
So I'm wondering where that autofocus problem could come from ?

Do you think I should try an open up the camera ?
Any insight is welcome!

Vic from France

02-02-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Vic. Welcome to the Forums!

To engage autofocus on the FA645 lenses, you need to push the focus ring away from you so it clicks into place and the words "AUTO FOCUS" are exposed on the top of the lens barrel. Then you're good to go
02-03-2021, 12:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Sandy,

I do know how FA645 lenses work and I did push the focus ring forward and clicked it into place. Still the lens doesn't autofocus, nothing happens...
02-03-2021, 01:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victorguerrier Quote
I do know how FA645 lenses work and I did push the focus ring forward and clicked it into place. Still the lens doesn't autofocus, nothing happens...
You might be surprised how often users aren't aware of that feature

In your case though, I'm out of suggestions. Good luck.

02-03-2021, 01:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should clean the contacts on the camera and on the lens. That can help.
02-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't remember everything about that lens (sold it and kept my A version), but I thought that on the rear mount there is an autofocus shaft that turns the AF mechanism - the camera has the screw drive portion that fits into the female part on the lens. I would start there and see if the autofocus drive on the camera seems to work and if the one on the lens spins when you turn the focus collar/ring.

Jaron Ball (NimsloGuy) takes apart an FA 75mm with defective focusing. Might be worth a look through the video to see the focus shaft footage.
He is great and has fixed three 645N bodies for me already. One was completely dead and he used parts from other 645N bodies to give me a camera that works perfectly.
02-09-2021, 12:11 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hi Vic. Welcome to the Forums!

To engage autofocus on the FA645 lenses, you need to push the focus ring away from you so it clicks into place and the words "AUTO FOCUS" are exposed on the top of the lens barrel. Then you're good to go
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
To engage autofocus on the FA645 lenses, you need to push the focus ring away from you so it clicks into place and the words "AUTO FOCUS" are exposed on the top of the lens barrel.
Hi there, I also am having trouble with recently purchased 75mm FA lens on a Pentax 645N body. The autofocus is not working at all ( it is on AF etc ) . I do not see what you mean by the above advice - I cannot push the focus ring away - are you able to explain this in more detail ( maybe a photo ) , thanks?

02-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nwinsley Quote
Hi there, I also am having trouble with recently purchased 75mm FA lens on a Pentax 645N body. The autofocus is not working at all ( it is on AF etc ) . I do not see what you mean by the above advice - I cannot push the focus ring away - are you able to explain this in more detail ( maybe a photo ) , thanks?
The FA 75mm does not have the same mechanism as some other FA lenses. Your FA 75mm has a simple switch to move between autofocus and manual focus. Some lenses have a clutch type system, where you move the entire focus grip forward and back to engage in autofocus or to switch to manual focus.