Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2021, 09:36 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Behind the Scenes of "Post your medium format photos!"

In these challenging times, I thought it would be fun (and even instructive) to start a thread where we can - if we wish - post pictures that show the processes/experiences involved in creating the fine images we see on the "Post your medium format photos!" thread. Some of this might be technical - 'see what I did to achieve that effect'; some of it might be storytelling - 'see what I went through to get the shots in the can!'; some of it might be simple humour!

Hope this idea is appealing to everyone here...

To start the ball rolling, here's a shot that I posted a while back and a 'behind the scenes' picture to go with it:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

---------- Post added 02-09-21 at 03:40 PM ----------

And now something more recent...

[IMG][/IMG]

Various 'behind the scenes' shots taken by my wonderful and long-suffering partner, Debbie, on her iPhone. And yes, the shot was taken without a big tripod or lots of lenses - just one lens, a Lee filter and a RRS table-top tripod (all shoved into a carrier bag while wading through flowing water).
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Anyone else care to contribute some shots?

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 02-08-2021 at 09:44 PM.
02-08-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean all those shots to be "private" when we click on the flickr link?

What are you shooting with?
02-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Paul - yes, the 'behind the scenes' shots above are set to private on Flickr because I don't mean them to be shown generally as my work. The actual images I made are Public because those are the ones I mean to showcase widely. I am just hosting the behind the scenes shots there so I can post them here, amongst friends, for fun. I wouldn't want anyone visiting my Flickr page to see them as my proper work, if you know what I mean. Hopefully the size they appear above is big enough to make the point though :-)
02-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great idea Ed, just need to start taking phone shots....

02-09-2021, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you can barely get out of the house, taking pictures is not an easy endeavour...

02-09-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea Ed. I will see if I can get a few of those also.
02-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I started a thread years ago. It's taken a beating but it's still there.
Photographer and Photo - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

It didn't turn out to be one of the more popular threads.
I'd help you out, but I don't shoot medium format. Well, one roll in the last 25years.

Last edited by normhead; 02-09-2021 at 08:47 AM.
02-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ed: I love that umbrella setup. Is that a normal flash umbrella that you somehow inverted, or a beach umbrella for the easily sunburned?
02-09-2021, 03:32 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I went and the shot seven NC lighthouses with the P645D I bought expressly to shoot lighthouses with. I only took a cell phone shot of the MF rig for three of them, though. But, I will share what I have and remember to always shoot the MF rig with a cell phone in the future.

Hatteras

Shooting Hatteras

Ocracoke

Shooting Ocracoke

Bodie Island

Shooting Bodie Island

These were all on the same day. I had an issue getting to Hatteras and Ocracoke. It took three tries to get these. My first trip got Currituck and Bodie but I was way too late in the day for Hatteras. So, that meant another trip. That trip didn't get them, either, because NC route 12 has a habit of the ocean and wind washing across the road and burying it under a sand dune. And, that is what happened on Trip Two.

Trip Three worked out. I headed down to the coast the afternoon before and stayed the night. So, Hatteras was the morning shot. To get from Hatteras to Ocracoke requires a ferry trip. And, quite a wait. By then the clouds came in. But, that was a blessing in disguise as I hadn't ever seen Ocracoke before and I find out it has a texture. No photo of it I have ever seen shows that! And, so the clouds prevented my blowing the thing out.

So, a late lunch on the island and another ferry trip back and, gee, Bodie is illuminated by the low sun under the edge of the coastal clouds. So, why not stop and shoot that one again?

And, there is my Behind the Scenes story. For now. I have ID'd 96 more lighthouses to go shoot. I might be at it a while!

Stan
02-10-2021, 03:32 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where I go really to shoot my images of the Saint Lawrence ... lol !

I go to an old, almost abandonned federal wharf (last image below) in the village of Portneuf, 15 miles from where I was born. I hope you're not too disappointed ...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 02-10-2021 at 05:23 PM.
02-10-2021, 06:53 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice idea for a thread. Great images and setups. I'll help out and add a setup.

It iced on my day off. Wanted to try some macro icicle shots. Hooked the umbrella to the Uni-Lock Major tripod to protect me and the 645Z with 120 macro and Raynox 150 & 250 closeup lenses. The small Gitzo tripod supported the Plamp with blue background. The blue mat kept me from freezing to the deck.

I hate using camera phones. Setup picture provided by Pentax Q7 with 08 ultrawide (18mm eq.).
Thanks for looking,
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
02-10-2021, 07:50 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Ed: I love that umbrella setup. Is that a normal flash umbrella that you somehow inverted, or a beach umbrella for the easily sunburned?
Hello there!

It was actually a camera umbrella set-up that I bought in Sydney. Designed specifically to be used in this way... At the end of the handle was a tripod bush, to which I was able to attach a quick release plate. There was some play there, so it wasn't impossible to make it work loose and fall in persistent or gusty high winds, but it generally stood up ok. Sadly, I am not sure where I've put this useful device - since this picture was taken, I emigrated Australia - UK in 2018, then emigrated back again in 2020 - a few things went astray in the process, and this was one of them. I'd like to replace it some time.

Top tip 1: on no account attach it to the same tripod as the camera; in the sort of stormy weather where you want this rig, it's extremely likely that the amount of vibration it causes would render a tripod pointless for the camera!
Top tip 2: set up the camera's tripod on a lean so that it's definitely underneath the umbrella, without any contact between any part of the two tripods! You can see this arrangement in the picture above.
02-17-2021, 02:58 AM - 8 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last night we had a rare couple of hours with sort-of clear skies. I tried my luck with Orion but it didn't work out in the end, the fog layer in the sky together with the light pollution created a grey mask. On the other hand as also great fun being eaten by winter mosquitos...

645z with 600mm lens and 1.4TC.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N9750  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
645Z  Photo 
02-17-2021, 08:15 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah! Winter mosquitoes. Fortunately here in S. NH (21F at writing), ours are limited to the other seasons.

P.S. Thanks for the EXIF. I'm surprised that a single shot for 405 seconds seems to be free of star trails.
02-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
I'm surprised that a single shot for 405 seconds seems to be free of star trails.
Yes that is only possible in Asia and Africa, we stop the world if we have stuff to do. Like taking 400 second shots Orion