Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2021, 10:24 AM - 12 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Night Passage

and catching a few Z's between stacked exposures...

---------- Post added 02-23-21 at 10:03 AM ----------

Walking The Dog

...and standing in the middle of California Street in morning traffic....

02-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
What lens should I use ?

K3, K1 or 645Z on the Bellows ?

@&?%$$#@ Where is my pot of white paint to adjust focus ? %&$##@

Ah ! Finally. Nice results ...
Cool tiny starbursts...
02-23-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Night Passage

Walking The Dog

That is a great street shot! And I don't even like street shots...
02-24-2021, 07:03 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With too much time on my hands these covid days and motivated by curiosity I hooked up a series of teleconverters to the P67 400mm f4 lens mounted on the 645z. The rig is difficult to handle and definitely needs a sturdy and heavy-duty tripod and head.

Live-view of the island it is aimed at. The exposure readings are totally off, because the camera is reading the aperture at f/8, but in reality is around f/16. Thus getting the correct exposure takes a few test shots.

The red square is about the frame I had with the 645z and all the teleconverters.

Picture with 645z uncropped. According to google maps this is +/- 4.1km (2.5 miles) away. If you zoom in you will see a man standing on the upper deck just behind the wheelhouse.

Picture of the moon taken a few days ago with the same setup, about 80% crop:

In my opinion this combo of teleconverters has very limited practical use, such as moon shots perhaps. For landscape it does not perform that well for obvious reasons. I did not test for any differences in IQ if the sequence of the P67 TC's were swapped or not. My reasoning was that the TC1.4 will most likely enhance the image sharpness whereas the TC2.0 will not, so it made sense to me to first use the 1.4, then the 2.0 etc.

---------- Post added 2021-02-25 at 10:37 AM ----------

Night Passage

Walking The Dog

Mike your pictures are exceptional. Good eye for spotting the scene in the distance.

Last edited by TDvN57; 02-24-2021 at 07:38 PM.
02-25-2021, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Night Passage

Walking The Dog

Wonderful Mike! The final images are worth seeing again regardless, but seeing some of the backstory and 'peeping behind the curtain' makes it even more wonderful.

Thanks for sharing...

In the Milky Way shot - what left the bright trail along the horizon? Otherworldy!
02-25-2021, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
--- If you zoom in you will see a man standing on the upper deck just behind the wheelhouse. ...
Looks like he sensed he was being watched.
02-25-2021, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Night Passage

Walking The Dog

Street shot has spectacular composition and timing. Fantastically creative.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

02-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Wonderful Mike! The final images are worth seeing again regardless, but seeing some of the backstory and 'peeping behind the curtain' makes it even more wonderful.

Thanks for sharing...

In the Milky Way shot - what left the bright trail along the horizon? Otherworldy!
thanks.
that bright trail was an early morning fishing boat heading out across Monterey Bay.

---------- Post added 02-25-21 at 11:41 AM ----------

With too much time on my hands these covid days and motivated by curiosity I hooked up a series of teleconverters to the P67 400mm f4 lens mounted on the 645z. The rig is difficult to handle and definitely needs a sturdy and heavy-duty tripod and head. ...

Mike your pictures are exceptional. Good eye for spotting the scene in the distance.
Thanks!!

And i really enjoyed your erector set lens stacking experiment. I have done similar before in the pursuit of knowing what gear will support my needs in the field, and which pieces will not.
Amazing result on that boat/rocks shot. I would not have expected that much clarity.
02-25-2021, 11:04 PM - 6 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just posted this on the main thread:
[IMG][/IMG]

Here are some 'behind the scenes' pictures showing the ridiculous height required to get the picture. The cops pulled over at around 2.30am to enquire what I was up to - but were friendly and curious.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
02-26-2021, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I just posted this on the main thread:
[/url][/IMG]

Here are some 'behind the scenes' pictures showing the ridiculous height required to get the picture. The cops pulled over at around 2.30am to enquire what I was up to - but were friendly and curious.
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

That takes a lot of dedication.
02-26-2021, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a possible application space for that poorly publicized photographic accessory, the midnight chainsaw.
02-26-2021, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

very cool, Ed!!
02-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a tiny camera! Great view 'rescued' at night. How did you deal with the sodium lights?
02-26-2021, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
very cool, Ed!!
Thanks Mike - not a patch on your shots above.

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
What a tiny camera! Great view 'rescued' at night. How did you deal with the sodium lights?
Hey Jens,

Thanks for that. In the 'behind the scenes' shot, the car was included partly for a sense of scale. The top of the tripod is perhaps 3 metres off the ground and the camera higher still!
To be honest, the lighting wasn't too bad. As you might see from one of the 'phone shots above, for some reason, a series of street lights in the vicinity was turned off. It's been that way for a while there now (it's one reason I went for the shot). Although some light was spilling over from street lights on the other side of the carriageway, it was much less - so I was able to adjust the colour balance quite easily in that area. The other factor was that the shot was taken with a nearly full moon over my shoulder; because the street lighting on the scene was relatively faint, the moon had some influence - and its colour, I think, counterbalanced the street lighting's colour to some extent.

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Looks like a possible application space for that poorly publicized photographic accessory, the midnight chainsaw.
I know what you mean, and there have been times when I have done a bit of trimming in other places. But a few problems here... 1) It's right next to a busy main road, so a tall man wielding a chainsaw in the middle of the night would be very visible, including to the cops with whom I had a friendly encounter that night; 2) it's opposite lots of houses and clearly overlooked; 3) the problematic plants are actually a little way into dense bush, so out of reach without smashing my way through, chest deep in undergrowth that's probably home to snakes and spiders; 4) it's protected bushland, so a serious offence (not that this would stop me if I thought I could get away with it and I were doing no real harm, but see points 1 & 2).
So I might just have to be glad that I have the shot in the can!

That takes a lot of dedication.
Thanks mate!

Last edited by Ed Hurst; 02-27-2021 at 01:58 AM.
02-28-2021, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

This is a pond high in the Oregon Coast Range we get to with our mountain bikes.

Pentax 645, A 645 35mm f3.5 & Portra 800