IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
03-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
heres the prep , working on the captures now , will post another time
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din! That would scare the bejeezus out of me, hanging my Z out like that!
03-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
You're a better man than I, Gunga Din! That would scare the bejeezus out of me, hanging my Z out like that!
It appears to be firmly attached. This is surely going to test the shake reduction of that 28-45 though!
03-19-2021, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
whowasiworkingfor?

fed ex?

Attached Images

03-19-2021, 10:33 PM   #50
Veteran Member

whowasiworkingfor?

the feds?
Attached Images

03-19-2021, 10:39 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

none of the above?

? ? ? ? ?
Attached Images

03-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

? ? ? ? ?
Great shots 672....

Not my cup of tea, so to speak, I don't like heights and as long as the plane's engine is working I'm not leaning out the window or door.

03-20-2021, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

flying

...it was a great flight and the 28-45 performed quite well. This was the one time I can honestly say I wish I had that 25mm...... The 28-45mm is not as sharp side to side when shooting straight down as it is when looking forwards, I suspect the 25mm prime would perform better in that regard, due to less moving parts and overall weight....

heres a clue as to which photos were for assignment
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
03-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

...it was a great flight and the 28-45 performed quite well. This was the one time I can honestly say I wish I had that 25mm...... The 28-45mm is not as sharp side to side when shooting straight down as it is when looking forwards, I suspect the 25mm prime would perform better in that regard, due to less moving parts and overall weight....

heres a clue as to which photos were for assignment
Hey, got some questions about this last one:
  • What did you use to attach the camera to the cross pole? Looks like a gimbal...? Or just some kind of bracket...
  • How much stiffer did the 2 angle poles make the cross pole?
  • How springy was the cross pole?
  • What was the metal of the poles? Galvy, or aluminum?
  • Do you think square stock would have been stiffer for the cross pole?
  • How did the cross pole react with the wind?
03-20-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

questions

thx texan!

the camera is on a Wimberly Gimbal version one.

the two angle poles stiffened the cross bar significantly

the cross pole was quite springy , esp in desert winds. perfect for 500th of a second (or greater) with IS on. I did one video reference with the 1DX2 hang and the rolling shutter was like jello in an earthquake......

the poles were aluminum 1 1/4" with steel sleeve connectors. each pole is six feet long.

if more rigidity was the objective I would have used one 30 foot length of steel pipe and a ten ton truck to bring it and more assistants , instead of one.. mobility was key.

the desert wind that day was around 11 MPH and the cross brace was fine, but we wrapped the set up well before the afternoon winds of 21MPH......
03-21-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Hi,

Aw, just a little bit higher than you were on the lift.

Really cool there, both the lash-up and the shots.

Stan
03-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

thx texan!

the camera is on a Wimberly Gimbal version one.

the two angle poles stiffened the cross bar significantly

the cross pole was quite springy , esp in desert winds. perfect for 500th of a second (or greater) with IS on. I did one video reference with the 1DX2 hang and the rolling shutter was like jello in an earthquake......

the poles were aluminum 1 1/4" with steel sleeve connectors. each pole is six feet long.

if more rigidity was the objective I would have used one 30 foot length of steel pipe and a ten ton truck to bring it and more assistants , instead of one.. mobility was key.

the desert wind that day was around 11 MPH and the cross brace was fine, but we wrapped the set up well before the afternoon winds of 21MPH......
Thanks, good info Here's something to look into that I have used before: Superstrut 1-5/8-in x 1-5/8-in Silver Electroplated Half Slot Channel Strut in the Struts department at Lowes.com

Will also be available at other places, of course. Find it in the electrical department with conduit. I *think* it's stiffer than other options. Not sure about all the lengths available at your local Lowe's or HD, but there are connectors I think. A specialty electrical or steel supplier could be a better bet. The holes can be handy.

Here's another thing that I found out from something unrelated to photography. If you take square stock steel and mill off a millimeter or so off of one side, it comes out with a bow from the milling. If you put the bow up, then load it the bar will wind up straight. It's a complicated story how I found that out....
03-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another thing that I found out from something unrelated to photography. If you take square stock steel and mill off a millimeter or so off of one side, it comes out with a bow from the milling. If you put the bow up, then load it the bar will wind up straight. It's a complicated story how I found that out....
That is a smart idea in this application. in long span roofs we've used a similar technique where the roof is built with a "bow" and when it is finally under full load the bow is reduced to almost flat. Is called pre-camber.
03-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #59
Veteran Member

strut

oh yeah that strut material would take some load for sure. I tried to make a bridge like support with ratchet straps and a short perpendicular pipe but it had to be from the bottom to flatten the main pipe, so was in the way of the camera and head......
03-22-2021, 05:43 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
built with a "bow" and when it is finally under full load the bow is reduced to almost flat. Is called pre-camber.
Flat trailers for semis are made this way too. Just my 2 cents. (I worked on semis as a summer job when I was a University student). Most reinforced concrete structural beams are designed this way too.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 03-23-2021 at 03:26 PM.