Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,056
Anyone ever shoot 35mm film in the Pentax 6x7?

The are 35mm film spools designed to fit the 6x7. It allows shooting Xpan like panoramics. Never tried it, but looks like fun.

Thanks,
barondla

02-10-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,990
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Never tried it, but looks like fun.
certainly enticing! but the kits i have seen cost a pretty penny and with cost of film just getting and running 120 only makes sense to me

Last edited by Aaron28; 02-10-2021 at 09:49 PM.
02-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 39,579
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
It allows shooting Xpan like panoramics. Never tried it, but looks like fun.
It is probably easier to simply crop the 6x7 negative to 24mm wide at the mid-line.


Steve
02-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,056
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
certainly enticing! but the kits i have seen cost a pretty penny and with cost of film just getting and running 120 only makes to me
Yeah, the original Pentax kits run $200 +. There are now 3d printed ones made by hobbyists. There's a setup for $25!

This link shows one way to do panos: Shooting 35mm film through a Pentax 67 ? Peter Jeffrey

This link shows a $25 kit: Panoramic Conversion Kit For Pentax 67 (6x7) | eBay

Looks like fun. Wish I still had the darkroom set up. It is also possible to shoot FujiFilm Instax instant in the 6x7. One shot at a time with a changing bag. I have the required Instax camera and might give it a try.

---------- Post added 02-10-21 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is probably easier to simply crop the 6x7 negative to 24mm wide at the mid-line.


Steve
That's possible. Might not be as much fun. I also like the exposure going thru the sprocket holes when the mask is left out.

Thanks,
barondla

02-10-2021, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,990
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
This link shows a $25 kit:
neat!
02-10-2021, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
cmohr's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brisbane. Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,536
I looked into this a few years ago when I was offered a 67ii at a good price with a 105/2.4 on it. from reading it looks great, and the bonus is you can get films developed at the lab, and contact sheets of them. For home processing prints, you need large format enlarger, you can make up your own neg holder to keep the film flat.

One of the issues I had read about, was the film getting a curve in it in the camera due to not having the top and bottom of the film in guides, not much, but it seemed an issue to some, not sure if that was an age thing with different cameras, maybe not putting consistent tension on the film??? But, if you are doing arty stuff anyway, not overly an issue. I didn't go the the 67ii because at that same time I ended up selling my house and then had no space for a darkroom. Still very tempting tho.
02-10-2021, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #7
Junior Member
AmsAmt's Avatar

Join Date: May 2017
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 27
Great fun
Got my holders here Custom Petrakla 35mm to 120 Roll Film Adapter Set. Free | Etsy
There some even cheaper on the famed E... site
Enjoy the process ��
02-10-2021, 11:43 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian
disconnekt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,259
The FPP (Film Photography Project) sells various types of adapters, and they have a 35mm-to-120 one for $30 bucks: Adapter - 35mm to 120 Film Adapter Kit / Sprockets! ? Film Photography Project Store

02-11-2021, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Catalunya
Posts: 16
I don't have Pentax 67 but I have tried it in a Fujica G690BL, just popped a roll in and taped the film leader to the spool, no adapters and it worked fine. You don't have much to lose trying
02-11-2021, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NOOSA, QLD
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,061
It is not panorama, either actual or implied. Just a vicious crop that is quite silly. There have been reported problems using these adaptor spools in older Pentax 6x7 / Asahi Pentax cameras with longer film spool poles; in one case I remember the poles had to be cut down to prevent jamming. I have seen the adaptor used in a Pentax 6x7 but the results did not inspire me (or the other owner!) to keep at it. Frankly, it's a corruption of the format's characteristics that make it so appealing.
02-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Lord Lucan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Wales
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,201
The 6x7 frame is about twice the width of a 35mm frame, so (obviously) putting a 35mm film into the gate will give you a negative no wider than if you took it on 120 film, and the recorded scene will be no wider (ie no more "panoramic") than if you took it on 120 film. It will just be not as tall on the 35mm film, same as if you cropped the 120 film in the darkroom.

You will only get a wider (more "panoramic") scene on the 35mm film in a 6x7 camera if you use an ultra-wide lens, the 45mm say. This would record about the same scene width as if you took two shots with a 35mm camera with a standard lens, swivelling laterally between shots, and later stitching them together. But you could get the same scene by simply cropping the 120 film after using the 45mm lens, or for that matter using a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera and cropping later.

If you want whole rolls of wide aspect ratio shots, maybe 35mm film in a 120 camera is cheaper than cropping 120 film. I'm not impressed otherwise.

PS: Some MF film cameras with interchageable backs (Bronica? Mamiya ?) offered 35mm backs. They were said to be used by some cheap pros for events, wishing to impress the client with a big camera but actually saving film costs. Or maybe to get more shots between film changes.
02-11-2021, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,056
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The 6x7 frame is about twice the width of a 35mm frame, so (obviously) putting a 35mm film into the gate will give you a negative no wider than if you took it on 120 film, and the recorded scene will be no wider (ie no more "panoramic") than if you took it on 120 film. It will just be not as tall on the 35mm film, same as if you cropped the 120 film in the darkroom.

You will only get a wider (more "panoramic") scene on the 35mm film in a 6x7 camera if you use an ultra-wide lens, the 45mm say. This would record about the same scene width as if you took two shots with a 35mm camera with a standard lens, swivelling laterally between shots, and later stitching them together. But you could get the same scene by simply cropping the 120 film after using the 45mm lens, or for that matter using a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera and cropping later.

If you want whole rolls of wide aspect ratio shots, maybe 35mm film in a 120 camera is cheaper than cropping 120 film. I'm not impressed otherwise.

PS: Some MF film cameras with interchageable backs (Bronica? Mamiya ?) offered 35mm backs. They were said to be used by some cheap pros for events, wishing to impress the client with a big camera but actually saving film costs. Or maybe to get more shots between film changes.
At one time there were 35mm films that weren't available in 120. Not sure if that is the case these days. There's also the artistic look of image surrounding sprocket holes, when a mask isn't used. Just more ways to be creative.

Thanks,
barondla
02-13-2021, 03:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Lord Lucan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South Wales
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,201
I remember (c1990?) a sales push for "panoramic" 35mm P&S film cameras. These could take normal 36x24mm frame shots, but also had a slider or lever which brought a pair of masking blades in from the top and bottom of the film gate to give a panoramic (or more accurately a "letterbox") format. I never knew anyone who owned one, but presumably the popular high street photo processors would have had to co-operate by installing some significantly more expensive equipment. Assuming the aspect ratio was 3:1 for example, rather than the usual 1.5:1, they would need processing machines with enlargers capable of 12"x4" prints rather than the usual 6"x4" prints, otherwise the customers were going to be very disappointed with a 6"x4" "panoramic" prints that consisted of 6"x2" pictures on stock 6"x4" paper with a lot of white space above and below [correction - it would be black space]. There is also the fact that a film could contain a mix of normal and panoramic shots, so any processing machine would need to adjust for both on the fly.

Does anyone how those things worked out in practice? I cannot imagine many high street processors would have invested in special equipment for these cameras, and those camera owners might have had to go to a professional lab to get 12"x4" prints done. I hate to think of the picture quality of a 12" enlargement from a 1990's P&S. Pro lab processing was not part of the market these cameras were aimed at, and I don't think the idea lasted very long.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 02-13-2021 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Correction about black space
02-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,913
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I remember (c1990?) a sales push for "panoramic" 35mm P&S film cameras. These could take normal 36x24mm frame shots, but also had a slider or lever which brought a pair of masking blades in from the top and bottom of the film gate to give a panoramic (or more accurately a "letterbox") format. I never knew anyone who owned one, .
Lots of people on this forum who had one. The Pentax Z-1p had this feature and possible some other Pentax SLR models at the time as well....
02-16-2021, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The are 35mm film spools designed to fit the 6x7. It allows shooting Xpan like panoramics. Never tried it, but looks like fun.

Thanks,
barondla
They work pretty good on my P67s. Going to a changing bag sucks for reloads, though. Even when running two bodies (I have four) is a pain. Instead I've repurposed all my RB67 70mm backs and load them with bulk rolls of 35mm. Inside a changing bag, of course. After having my brother machine narrow-core supply spools and the take-up spools I get about 62 exposures. 5 backs gives me about 310 exposures total. No stinking changing bag needed out in the field. With the 50mm and it's floating element on my RB 67 cameras I get 1x2.75 inch 'Mexican Panoramas' that are just stunning.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
35 film in 67, 35 pano with 67, 35mm, 35mm film, 645d, 645z, 6x7, camera, cost, film, fun, instax, kit, kits, link, medium format, pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone (ever) just shoot in-camera B&W JPEG? BigMackCam General Photography 59 12-25-2020 05:56 PM
Anyone ever used a Sigma 1.4 35mm Art on a P30? Papa_Joe Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 03-31-2020 07:36 AM
For Sale - Sold: Samsung ECX 1 35mm Point & Shoot Film Camera - Coolest camera ever :) scottDee Sold Items 2 03-29-2019 01:47 PM
Likelihood of there ever being a 35mm digital back/converter/retrofit ever? Vicioustuna2012 Pentax DSLR Discussion 33 02-25-2018 03:49 PM
Anyone ever shoot NY Fashion Week w/ Pentax DSLRs? kenyee Photographic Industry and Professionals 2 09-23-2013 02:58 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top