Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wired remote

Can someone with experience tell me which wired remote to buy for 645Z? The internet would be happy to sell me any version with any plug, that cant be right. And dont even get me started on the dead ends in Pentax USA website.......

Thanks in advance

02-16-2021, 10:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you mean a simple one - shutter release button with locking function - but nothing else? As opposed to an intervalometer...

Assuming that's what you mean, the Pentax item you want is CS-205. I actually use a Canon one because it was easier to obtain and seems to be more robust. But they are both just simple lockable switches attached to a jack plug - so both work fine.
02-17-2021, 01:57 AM   #3

I confirm what Ed says, CS-205 works fine.
02-17-2021, 03:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you! for the replies. I had been using wireless but need something simpler for air to ground work........

02-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the "Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras with 2.5mm Sub-Mini Connections" with my Pentax cameras. Below I describe how it performed and also a shortcut to the product at B and H is listed. Please note that as I say below, the product only worked intermittently at first, and after I filed down the base of the plug it seemed to perform as it is supposed to a majority of the time. I am not sure if it does perform with the 645Z, but as I said it has with my K-5IIs and K-3II.

I have never used the CS-205 so I do not know how it performs.

At first I found that this product (Vello RS-C1II) worked only intermittently with my Pentax K-5IIS and K-3II. I found out later that this was due to the plug not sitting deep enough in the camera socket. So per some advice from a forum member, I filed down the plastic part of the base of the plug. Since then it has worked fine.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765659-REG/Vello_RS_C1II_RS_C1II_Wire...981&

EDIT Please note that another reason why I was told the plug on the model of this product I mentioned would not make a total connection with the Pentax camera originally, was that the plug was not straight, that it was turned at an angle. So, I noticed that there is a plug with the same name on Amazon that shows a straight version of the plug, which may possibly perform better. A shortcut to the product is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Vello-RS-C1II-Remote-Switch-Select/dp/B007CB58NY

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-17-2021 at 03:07 PM.
02-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can tell you that the Pentax product (CS-205) works flawlessly with the 645D/Z. The plug fits well and it 'just works', so no need to improvise with other products that may need to be filed down, etc..
I did eventually have one fall apart on me, but that was after it had been rattling around my bag for years, so probably my own fault! The plug on the end of it is certainly vulnerable to getting bent, and this can still happen if the plug is left attached to the camera when you put it in the bag. So my advice (which I don't always follow myself!) is to remove the plug when it's not in use, and store it somewhere safely where it's protected.
02-18-2021, 03:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI, in case it's useful info., the Canon wired release I use on my 645Z is a RS-60E3. It's just a lockable switch (like the Pentax CS-205) and has a plug on it that fits the camera perfectly. The device seems to be functionally interchangeable with the Pentax one. When I bought one, it was cheaper and also more readily available in some places...

Gives you another option, anyway.

02-19-2021, 12:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you all, I definitely think "whats available" will decide which one I get.