Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #1

Pentax 645 first-frame advance problem

Hi all!
I was hoping to get some insight to a problem i've recently been made aware of with my first-gen Pentax 645.
Now when I load a fresh roll, the advance-to-first frame wind-on is not working as it used to. Instead, after loading a new roll, the camera fires, and advances 1 frame like normal, instead of rolling to the first actual frame. This causes the camera to expose the backing paper instead of actual film ��

The frame counter etc all seem to be fine.

I've tested with fresh batteries and ensure the roll is loaded correctly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Imaje; 02-22-2021 at 09:00 AM.
02-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What film are you using? e.g. Kodak Alaris Portra 400 ?

Are you sure you have the alignment arrows in the right spot?
02-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
What film are you using? e.g. Kodak Alaris Portra 400 ?

Are you sure you have the alignment arrows in the right spot?
Thanks ProfessorBuzz,

I have tried with a roll of Fuji Pro 400H (where I first noticed the problem) and sacrificed a roll of HP5 to test and have the same problem.
I can confirm that I align the arrow up exactly with the dot and have even tried aligning it just a hair before as well to no effect.

---------- Post added 02-22-21 at 11:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imaje Quote
Thanks ProfessorBuzz,

I have tried with a roll of Fuji Pro 400H (where I first noticed the problem) and sacrificed a roll of HP5 to test and have the same problem.
I can confirm that I align the arrow up exactly with the dot and have even tried aligning it just a hair before as well to no effect.
In addition, my 645 (second hand purchase in Japan) has never stopped or automatically wound on at frame 16 as the manual states. Instead, I cover the lens and I have to shoot past frame 26 then I hear the finished roll inside the film carrier.
This wasn't a big problem but not shooting the first 6 frames is a bigger problem
02-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imaje Quote
Hi all!
I was hoping to get some insight to a problem i've recently been made aware of with my first-gen Pentax 645.
Now when I load a fresh roll, the advance-to-first frame wind-on is not working as it used to.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
This really sounds like a firmware glitch.

I would try to reset the CPU by removing the AA batteries and then removing the CR1220 lithium cell. If you have a volt or multimeter, test that it's at least 3 volts, and if not, buy a new one.

After replacing all the batteries, try another test. Hopefully this will reset the chip to do what it was programmed to do before some ones and zeroes got scrambled.