Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

645z: how to correctly remove the lenses

Hello everybody,
I recently bought a 645z with a few lenses and I love everything of them. There is one point that still I cannot grasp and is how to correctly remove the lenses.
In my hand pushing the button on the lower left (or right it depends) of the camera mouth is not sufficient to free the lens. I need to wiggle a little and try and try and try before the lens is free to move.
What am I doing wrong?
PS: my lenses are all FA

02-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sevilla Quote
Hello everybody,
I recently bought a 645z with a few lenses and I love everything of them. There is one point that still I cannot grasp and is how to correctly remove the lenses.
In my hand pushing the button on the lower left (or right it depends) of the camera mouth is not sufficient to free the lens. I need to wiggle a little and try and try and try before the lens is free to move.
What am I doing wrong?
PS: my lenses are all FA
Sounds odd. Either you are not completely pressing the button, or there's a problem with your body. You should not have to do any wiggling....
02-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read this and first said, 'this is an issue?' So, I got out my Z and tried it myself. I kinda see why you are asking now.

So, what I automatically find myself doing is to 1) put the LCD of the camera against my chest, 2) grip the lens to be removed in my left hand (mostly, but I tend to support the camera a bit too with my left hand, 3) using my right middle or ring finger, I push the lens release and turn the lens to the right, and off it comes.

I suppose it depends to on the size of your hands but that's what I do. When it's on a tripod, I recall I tend to remove it from the front of the camera, right hand turning the lens, left pushing the release button.

Hope that helps. Honestly, it's essentially what I do with my k mount cameras as well. Now if you were asking about the Pentax 6x7...now that's a different story and is a handful.

Afterthought, I don't think it really matters whether the lens is a 645 A, FA, DFA lens (or as I first had to remove a 6x7 lens with a 6x7 to 645 convertor on it, same process) with this either. Ok, I'll grant you if you are rocking say the enormous 645 FA 600 lens, you might need a slightly different process...just sayin'
02-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As was mentioned, pushing down on the button with one hand, and removing the lens with the other may be the most efficient method.

02-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Periodically ... as in seldom, I find that a particular lens will release easier if first I apply slight pressure as though I am mounting the lens, and while holding it there, press the release button and remove the attached lens.
02-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all, never had that problem with my K1II or K5II and what has been suggested is what is also in the manual. There may be a little problem with the push button but I think I will live with that even if still in KEH warranty.
I thought that that may have had to do with the autofocus engaging the little screw that is why I mentioned FA lenses.