Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2021, 06:19 PM   #1

Pentax 67II eyepiece

Hi everybody.

I would like to put an eye piece cup on the viewfinder. I have found new rubber cups on ebay etc. My question is am I missing a part or something as it looks like there is a thread in the viewer. The cups look like they are just a cup with no thread.

Any help or advice?

Photo uploaded

Thanks
Marcus

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
03-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As far as I can tell it is missing a metal ring similar to the one listed here

PENTAX 67ii Eyepiece Ring 2 Diopter for 67ii Penta Prism Finder/magnifier for sale online | eBay
03-14-2021, 05:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Missing eyepiece

The eyepiece ring seems to be missing on your camera:

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
As far as I can tell it is missing a metal ring similar to the one listed here

PENTAX 67ii Eyepiece Ring 2 Diopter for 67ii Penta Prism Finder/magnifier for sale online | eBay
Thanks for that. It seems like that one has sold.

Any other leads?

03-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
Right thank you.

Any leads to where I could get one?
03-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MG116 Quote
Right thank you.

Google tells me there is one (overpriced IMHO) on eBay. You could also try the usual suspects (Keh.com, Yahoo Japan, etc.).

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi everybody.

I would like to put an eye piece cup on the viewfinder. I have found new rubber cups on ebay etc. My question is am I missing a part or something as it looks like there is a thread in the viewer. The cups look like they are just a cup with no thread.

Any help or advice?

Photo uploaded
Did you just buy your 67II and it was missing the eye-piece ring or did you misplace your's?

If your camera is a new purchase I would contact the seller and get some money back, the 67II is not a cheap camera and it should have come with this part.

Your other option is to get a cheap non-metered 6x7/67 prism and use the eye-piece ring from it. It will fit on the 67II AE prism, as all the 6x7 viewfinder accessories are the same size.

Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASAHI-PENTAX-6X7-MINT-PRISM-mint-mint-GORGEOUS-Free...sAAOSwPktfvZAq

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 03-16-2021 at 12:31 PM.
03-16-2021, 09:43 PM   #8

Right thank you.

I have read in several threads online that the Nikon F4, F90/N90, F100 (among others), and Fuji 645 rangefinders share the same screw in eyepiece. I actually do have the OEM Pentax eyepiece in mine, but may still switch to a Nikon as they are rubber coated and I have already majorly scratched my glasses on the Pentax after my first use.

I have not personally tested the fit so YMMV, but if the F100 eyepiece does work (someone on this forum about a decade ago said it worked perfectly), you can get them for around $20 USD on ebay.
03-17-2021, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #9

Following up, I just left my local camera shop with a new Nikon F100 eyepiece. I tested an F4 eyepiece, and it did fit as long as the rubber surround was off, but with the rubber on, the thread was too shallow and would not 'catch'. The F100 has glued on rubber and a longer threaded shaft which screws in just fine. I can now jam my face up to the camera with glasses on and not ruin another pair. Best $10 I've spent!
Attached Images

Last edited by nickelphoto; 03-17-2021 at 02:55 PM. Reason: removing double image attachment
03-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Did you just buy your 67II and it was missing the eye-piece ring or did you misplace your's?

If your camera is a new purchase I would contact the seller and get some money back, the 67II is not a cheap camera and it should have come with this part.

Your other option is to get a cheap non-metered 6x7/67 prism and use the eye-piece ring from it. It will fit on the 67II AE prism, as all the 6x7 viewfinder accessories are the same size.

Example:
ASAHI PENTAX 6X7 MINT PRISM mint mint GORGEOUS Free Shipping, | eBay

Phil.
Hi nickelphoto

Thanks for reply. I did buy mine new but that was over 10 years ago. I cant remember if it had one from new. The shop I bought from in HK doen't look like they sell this stuff anymore.

---------- Post added 03-17-21 at 06:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickelphoto Quote
Following up, I just left my local camera shop with a new Nikon F100 eyepiece. I tested an F4 eyepiece, and it did fit as long as the rubber surround was off, but with the rubber on, the thread was too shallow and would not 'catch'. The F100 has glued on rubber and a longer threaded shaft which screws in just fine. I can now jam my face up to the camera with glasses on and not ruin another pair. Best $10 I've spent!
thanks again nickelphoto

I will start to look for one of these.
Where did you buy yours from? Do they have anymore?
I'm in Australia hopefully if they do have one they may post?
03-17-2021, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

took a look....my eyecup has nikon D2 on it
03-18-2021, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #12

Where did you buy yours from? Do they have anymore?
I'm in Australia hopefully if they do have one they may post?
I got mine from a local camera shop in the US, but these should be much easier to find (and cheaper) on eBay than the Pentax specific eyepiece. Just search for Nikon F100 eyepiece and you should be good!
03-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickelphoto Quote
Hey sorry to hassle but did you get the F100 eyepiece with the rubber already glued on? Is that how they are standard?

Just looking and ones ive sen are separate. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.
03-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #14

Hey sorry to hassle but did you get the F100 eyepiece with the rubber already glued on? Is that how they are standard?

Just looking and ones ive sen are separate. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.
From what I was told at the camera shop, the F100 is glued on where the other models (F4, F90, N90, etc.) have a rubber surround that is removable. The eyecup with removable rubber does not have a deep threaded shaft so it barely catches thread and only when the rubber is not on. With the rubber on it will not screw in at all.

My goal was to get something that would allow me to add my own large rubber eyecup to, but I believe I would need to carve off the rubber that is on the F100 to do so. If I find another one for cheap, I may still pick it up to try, but for now it solves my main issue of preventing glasses scratches.

I can tell you that when I was looking on eBay for "Nikon F100 eyepiece", the F100 was often one of several camera models in the subject. If you see one without rubber, it's not F100.
03-29-2021, 01:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a large 3rd party eyecup on my 67 to protect my glasses. The extra leverage it gives to any rotation gradually unscrews the combination (it has fallen off once and nearly so several more times). I will look for an F100 eyepiece having read this, thanks.