Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quick Release Plates (with peg) for Pentax MF

Having owned the 645z since 2015, then having sidelined my photography for a few years, I'm now getting back into the craft. Previously, I have utilized the Manfrotto RC2 qr plates (originally for Canon gear), I've always knew they weren't the best for big heavy cameras but I made do. I came across, bought and have now tried the below Arca style plate that has a peg specifically for Pentax MF cameras:

amazon.com : Hejnar Photo Arca Type bidirectional Camera Plate for Pentax 645Z - Made in U.S.A : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

At $38, it's a little pricey (what isn't for MF) but works nicely. The peg utilizing the associated hole on bottom of Pentax cameras keeps it in place very well. What I miss about the RC2 heads is the lock levers that prevent accidental dropping. I guess that feature is akin to bicycle training wheels It doesn't surprise me to see Pentax provide the solution for the common problem of camera's twisting on a single point 1/4-20 thread and it appears this hole has been on all of their MF cameras. Getting other manufacturers to follow their lead is another story.

My question is if anyone knows of ANY other QR plates that use that peg hole?

Attached Images

04-07-2021, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Acratech $39

Really Right Stuff Currently out of stock

Kirk - $55
04-07-2021, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the RRS ones and they work well, but I'm off RRS as a company now for political reasons. Looks to me like these Hejnar ones will be fine. Didn't realize Acratech made them, have to check them out....
04-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #4

Have an Acratech one on each side of my 645D so that I don't have to find a hex wrench to move a single one while in the field.

04-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Acratech and Kirk seem like good options. Didn't see the RRS for Pentax 645. Thanks for the replies.
04-07-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 72ndPoolShark Quote
Didn't see the RRS for Pentax 645.
Might not be available any more. It's listed at B&H but is not on the RRS site any more.
04-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Iwould mention I use the Pentax quick release system. But I don’t want to drive the used prices up!
04-08-2021, 07:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I searched for "Pentax quick release system" but did not find anything. Is this something that was made by Pentax? I'll reimburse you for any price hikes caused by discussing it

04-08-2021, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a pair of those Hejnar plates and I absolutely love them.

I also use manfrotto RC2 plates(no lug) for my backup system, but as far as arca-style QRs go, that is the best I've seen.

---------- Post added 04-08-21 at 11:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I have the RRS ones and they work well, but I'm off RRS as a company now for political reasons. Looks to me like these Hejnar ones will be fine. Didn't realize Acratech made them, have to check them out....
Yup, I too refuse to give my money to RRS.

Last edited by mikeSF; 04-09-2021 at 08:14 AM.