Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #1

Pentax 67 Waist Level Finders

It looks like over the years Pentax updated the waist level finders for each generation of the 67 bodies. I'm wondering if the changes are purely aesthetic (eg: Asahi Pentax (6x7) vs. Pentax (67) vs. PENTAX (67ii)) or if there are actual functional differences between them.

i've used Hasselblads for a while and over the years the WLFs changes in functional ways - i much prefer the more modern ones from the 70s/80s over the early ones. I'm wondering if it's the same for the Pentax 67 WLFs?

Or are they all the same just with different fonts and branding on the nameplate?

Wrt the Hasselblad ones the material differences being:
  • The way they collapse and fold up (pinch rather than fold 3 pieces in order)
  • The way you flip the magnifier up (small metal tab vs plastic slide)
  • The way you pop the WLF up (plastic tab vs. pinch the edges)
  • Replaceable diopters (i don't use them but the option is nice i guess)
Edit: When browsing images they all look the same, but i thought the Hasselblad ones all worked the same until i got a couple of them and figured it out.

Last edited by jchabalk; 04-10-2021 at 07:01 PM.
04-10-2021, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jchabalk Quote
It looks like over the years Pentax updated the waist level finders for each generation of the 67 bodies. I'm wondering if the changes are purely aesthetic (eg: Asahi Pentax (6x7) vs. Pentax (67) vs. PENTAX (67ii)) or if there are actual functional differences between them.

i've used Hasselblads for a while and over the years the WLFs changes in functional ways - i much prefer the more modern ones from the 70s/80s over the early ones. I'm wondering if it's the same for the Pentax 67 WLFs?

Or are they all the same just with different fonts and branding on the nameplate?

Edit: When browsing images they all look the same, but i thought the Hasselblad ones all worked the same until i got a couple of them and figured it out.
They are all the same and just cosmetic changes. All waist level finders will work on all Pentax 6x7/67/67ii bodies.

Phil.
04-11-2021, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Yes only a cosmetic change when they went from the 6x7 to the 67 generation of the camera. I shoot with a WLF on both of my 67 cameras and my 500C/M too. But I wasn't aware there was functional differences with them in the Hasselblad system.

04-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
cool, that you both, that's helpful.

The older hasselblad ones i find a bit fiddly, sort of like the older Rollei waist level finders, rollei seemed to merge with hasselblad's design somewhat by the time they got to the 2.8f cameras.

I'm interested in picking up one of these for my Pentax. I have a "67" version but it's good to know there's no functional difference between them all.

04-11-2021, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I'm interested in picking up one of these for my Pentax. I have a "67" version but it's good to know there's no functional difference between them all.
Also note that all the lenses were updated with only cosmetic housing changes too going from the 6x7 -> 67 except two. The 67 55mm and the 67 200mm did get an optical update for the better in the 67 generation.
04-11-2021, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This forum accessories page shows all the Pentax 6x7 system finders and may help in your decision as what to buy:

Each generation of Pentax 6x7 bodies had their own set of four viewfinders, so there are a total of 12 in all. (Excluding the marine finders)

Pentax 6x7 Viewfinders - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Phil.
04-16-2021, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find the waist level finders odd to use on a rectangular format, without a rotating back. The magnifying hood is useful at times. Love the light weight of waist level finders.

Thanks,
barondla