Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

Buying "Vintage" 67 equipment from Japan on eBay

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this, i've been looking for a couple of Pentax 67 lenses on eBay recently just due to the fact that they don't seem to be available anywhere else. Over the last few years i've purchased gear from other manufacturers on there too and have noticed the same confusing trend.

I see people talk regularly about the descriptions being overly generous with regard to the condition (eg: eBay Like New Mint ++++ is equivalent to KEH Bargain condition (this is only a slight exaggeration))

The thing that i find perplexing though is the sales formats. There are a bunch of sellers of Pentax (and Nikon and i'm sure others) gear in Japan, many of them have very similar pictures of what they're selling, they seem to use the same condition template, highlighting different attributes. And while there are exceptions to this many sellers have about the same number of feedback points etc.

I'm very careful when i evaluate these things but there's only so much you can see in the images, and in what questions you ask before completing a purchase. I've yet to get burned, but i've had to discover things after the fact and return and/or deal with it.

I assume i'm not alone here, does anyone have any tricks or hints for shopping on this stuff?

04-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I’ve bought more 645 and 67 gear from Japan in the last six months than I should admit. Yes, the headlines are always Mint++++++ or Exc+++++, and so I just ignore that. In the description, however, I find lots of honesty. There tends to be a checklist (dust, fungus, haze, scratches, etc.) and they say what the condition of the lens is in that regard. I actually take comfort in the heavily templates listings because I do see the variation in condition noted when it’s applicable. Dust is omnipresent, but I will just stay away from any other defects, even if they say it doesn’t affect image quality. I have been pleased with my purchases in terms of condition matching the description, gear matching photos (somehow lucked out with a seller who didn’t seem to realize that the late model 67 200mm was attached to a 2x rear converter and sold the combo for what the lens alone typically goes for), fast shipping (arrives faster than when you buy from a US seller), and good packaging. No customs duties on camera gear, so it speeds right on through.
04-15-2021, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #3

I didn't have 645 or 67 camera but had bought over 10 lenses for my K1 and K5 from Japan. Sure its more easy to find the gear in Japan as I believe they have the highest Pentax user %.
I usually find the gear on 'Yahoo Japan Auction' and so far so good. There is the rating of the seller on the page and I usually avoid seller with less than 98.5% positive rating.
Also I believe the description is pretty detail (overall appearance / optical performance / mechanical movement..) on most of the gears. Good Luck!
04-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have bought many 645 and 67 lenses from Japanese sellers on eBay. They are brutally honest - the proof is in the description as others have said. The photos are usually of the actual item, especially when they point out cosmetic damage (e.g. a scuff or crack)

The only 67 lens I bought was a 55-100mm, but every 645 lens has been very accurately described (DFA25, FA45-85, FA80-160, DFA90, A120, A200)

04-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've generally found the same thing, the sellers are quite honest. the use of the same template and very similar and high quality images always makes me think there's some clearing house for this stuff and individual sellers end up being responsible for chunks of it. It's always seems odd that the listings are so similar.

I've only gotten high quality stuff, and kind of amazingly quick shipping. This most recent time i had a problem with the lens and the seller has been super quick to acknowledge it and offer a return.
04-15-2021, 11:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I try to avoid sellers with positive feedback <99%...Additionally, asking very specific questions on the condition matters a lot, because some will say “to my eyes “.... so the rating of some products is Ex+++ or so, just to keep the price in a specific range and to catch our attention.
04-16-2021, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buying from eBay in Japan has been a very rewarding experience the last 3 years. You find rare items, sometimes at ridiculous prices.

Always check 1) the status of the seller 2) no haze, no fungus 3) perfect mechanical condition and peruse the actual pictures of the lens to see any defects. Take your time and be "choosy".

Most often you can return the item if it doesn't fit the description and be refunded entirely.

Lately I purchased a late-model P67 200 mm f/4 in "like-new" condition for 103.00 $, a steal really. I found a late-model P67 500 mm f/5.6 behemoth for 319 $ in pristine condition and performing awesomely. All my 645 and 67 zoom lenses were bought in Japan and the quality of the items has always been more than satisfying. I also found a 645 Auto Bellows for 200 $.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-21-2021 at 02:21 PM.
04-16-2021, 05:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Lately I purchased a late-model P67 200 mm f/4 in "like-new" condition for 103.00 $, a steal really.
I managed to snag one for $119…and it had the 67 rear converter T6-2x attached to it. Pristine condition.
04-16-2021, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good for you, lucky guy ! Knowing the quality of the P67 200 mm f/4 lens, a price of 100 $ is a steal. All metal, focusing like a dream, tack sharp, built to last a lifetime, what more can you wish for.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-21-2021 at 02:21 PM.
04-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've bought 6x7 and 645 lenses from Japan. Never had a bad deal. The lenses have always been in beautiful shape, as described. Makes me wonder if they ever use them?

Th only weird thing, is seeing lenses rated mint with fungus. That doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it is a cultural/language difference. They might see mint applying to wear and care by user vs fungus, which is an act of nature.

Thanks,
barondla
04-16-2021, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I've bought 6x7 and 645 lenses from Japan. Never had a bad deal. The lenses have always been in beautiful shape, as described. Makes me wonder if they ever use them?

Th only weird thing, is seeing lenses rated mint with fungus. That doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps it is a cultural/language difference. They might see mint applying to wear and care by user vs fungus, which is an act of nature.

Thanks,
barondla
I have seen "App Mint++++" in a headline, which I take to mean the appearance is mint. Then you dig in and discover mention of fungus. I do think that the headline description is about exterior appearance for them, and so it's important to read the whole thing.
04-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

No, you're not alone. I purchased a camera advertised in excellent condition but had a broken shutter.
04-16-2021, 09:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OTOH, now I would never buy a used digital camera body from any seller. Once, KEH in Atlanta had a nice looking K5 IIs body for sale but they would never reveal the shutter actuation count. So it was "Bye, bye, Charlie Brown !" Never buy without knowing the shutter count. Hard to know this info for a film camera (like a P67 or a 645N) though ...

Regards,

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-21-2021 at 02:20 PM.
04-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like others, my experience with buying from Japan, both for K mount and medium format, has been very good. Look at the description and the pictures, not just the rating. And pay close attention to what's included, such as lens hoods. But there's good deals to be found, and the descriptions for the things I've bought have been pretty accurate.
04-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #15

Original Poster
Here's a response to a question on the condition of a lens i was interested in:

QuoteQuote:
There are a few dust in the lens, but no fungus.
However, I just checked the condition with normal light, but very strong light like LED light.
It may have very thin fungus if you see it with strong light.