Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wish Pentax made a 645 tilt adapter.

Would love a macro extension tube that allowed tilt for more depth of field. It would use 645 lenses on a 645. This wouldn't focus to infinity, but would work well for macro. Just a dream. Always wanted the Rollei SL66 for it's built in tilting focusing bellows. It did work at infinity.

Thanks,
barondla

04-20-2021, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wrote "Pentax San" in Tokyo in the 1990's suggesting they design a "tilt and shift" lens for the Pentax 67. I proposed a 70 mm f/2.8 focal length that could help the photographer apply the Scheimpflug Principle and extend depth of field in WA landscape pictures. To my surprise, Pentax answered my letter, saying that such a lens would be of help only to very few people and thus was not economical to produce. They said they had already the 75 mm f/4.5 shift lens that could fulfill my needs. In reality, it was the tilting I was really interested in. So I had to do without all those years and developed a liking for short telephotos and their detail extraction potential instead of using wide-angles. At the time, I was an admirer of western photographer David Muench who was using a Linhof 4X5 technical camera with a 75 mm extreme WA (equivalent to a 24 mm in FF) and "attacked" his images with a very close and sharp foreground anchor and depth of field extending to infinity. I had to learn to live with our medium-format limitations. Using extreme openings like f/45 in medium-format is not a real solution as it kills resolution.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-21-2021 at 02:22 PM.
04-20-2021, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #3

Or go Bellows ! Novoflex makes one which fits the P645 bodies - Universal Tilt-/Shift Bellows . The last I checked, they do not make an adoptor for the P645 lens though, that's a bummer but they do have adopters for other MF and LF lenses.
04-20-2021, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d love one (maybe it exists already) that shifted and adapted to PK mount. Since there’s really only the one shift lens in the existing Pentax Arsenal, that would give more flexibility when using shift for other things.

04-20-2021, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, it's on my suggestion list. My candidate would be the 67 45mm. I feel like they could partner with Hartblei on this...I've got a 45 shift that is maybe an Arsat lens in a Hartblei mount.

Tilt shift would be cool, but I could also live with just shift for my work---the 67 45mm is a good lens...
04-20-2021, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I wrote "Pentax San" in Tokyo in the 1990's suggesting they design a "tilt and shift" lens for the Pentax 67. I proposed a 70 mm f/2.8 focal length that could help the photographer apply the Scheimpflug Principle and extend depth of field in WA landscape pictures. To my surprise, Pentax answered my letter, saying that such a lens would be of help only to very few people and thus was not economical to produce. They said they had already the 75 mm f/4.5 shift lens that could fulfill my needs. In reality, it was the tilting I was really interested in. So I had to do without all those years and developed a liking for short telephotos and their detail extraction potential instead of using wide-angles. At the time, I was an admirer of western photographer David Muench who was using a Linhof 4X5 technical camera with a 75 mm extreme WA (equivalent to a 24 mm in FF) and "attacked" his images with a very close and sharp foreground anchor and depth of field extending to infinity. I had to learn to live with our medium-format limitations. Using extreme openings like f/45 in medium-format is not a real solution as it kills resolution.

Regards
Appreciate your efforts to convince Pentax to produce a tilt shift lens. I don't understand the logic of their decision. Actually, I don't understand why they designed a shift only lens to begin with. Architecture has to be a smaller niche than landscape photography. The optics of a shift lens has to be the most expensive component. Why build a lens mount that only shifts? Make it tilt and shift and double the number of potential users. Canon figured it out.

Wonder why some Chinese company doesn't modify the 67 75 lens to tilt and shift? It would sell if affordable.

---------- Post added 04-20-21 at 03:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yeah, it's on my suggestion list. My candidate would be the 67 45mm. I feel like they could partner with Hartblei on this...I've got a 45 shift that is maybe an Arsat lens in a Hartblei mount.

Tilt shift would be cool, but I could also live with just shift for my work---the 67 45mm is a good lens...
You know I love this idea.

Thanks,
barondia
04-21-2021, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote

I have a Hartbeli 45mm in the P645 mount and it works superbly on the 645NII and quite nicely on the K1. There a bit of CA, which can be easily fixed in post. BTW, AFAIK (Apr-21) Hartblei still offer lenses in pentax mount as a custom work.
04-21-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

I don't need tilt...but shift would be very handy for me. A lot of the 645 lenses have larger image circles than the crop 645z sensor so a shift adaptor would make a lot of sense, and use, of a lot of Pentax glass.

04-22-2021, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
don't need tilt...but shift would be very handy for me.
Hello,

Pentax sells a P67 75 mm f/4.5 Shift lens that can be fitted on a 645Z with their '67 to 645' adapter. This lens does not afford a wide-angle FOV though (60 mm equivalent in FF). See the "Lens Review" section.

Regards
04-22-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Hello,

Pentax sells a P67 75 mm f/4.5 Shift lens that can be fitted on a 645Z with their '67 to 645' adapter. This lens does not afford a wide-angle FOV though (60 mm equivalent in FF). See the "Lens Review" section.

Regards
The problem being that 75mm FL on the Z is not so useful for the situations where one typically needs shift in interiors or architectural work, those being the meat and potatoes of shifting. That's why both Canon and Nikon, plus 3rd parties, make T/S lenses in wide FL's. the 67 45mm adapted to shift roughly equals 35mm FF equiv FL, and imo is about the longest FL that is very usable for the above use-cases.

The ideal for the Z would be something in the 25-28 mm range, but I don't see that happening. Since the 67 45mm design is "off the shelf" and shift or tilt shift lenses are manual, I think that's an achievable goal for Pentax.

I have one of the rare as hen's teeth Pentax 28mm shift lenses for FF.