Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone using Hartblei 45 tilt/shift on 645?

Didn't see any reviews here. Just curious about using it on medium format.

Thanks,

barondla

04-22-2021, 12:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yup, I use it on the 645NII, K5 and the K1. works a treat. On the K1 this allows to do 3 picture pano and lovely Tilts. I just ensure that the I've dialed in atleast F11 for landscapes. On the 645NII, this makes some lovely creative portraits at F8
04-22-2021, 04:06 AM   #3

Anyone knows how the Hartblei lenses compare to the Arax 35mm T/S? I would like to buy a Hartblei for photogrammetry but only if it's significantly sharper than the Arax I own.
04-22-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Yup, I use it on the 645NII, K5 and the K1. works a treat. On the K1 this allows to do 3 picture pano and lovely Tilts. I just ensure that the I've dialed in atleast F11 for landscapes. On the 645NII, this makes some lovely creative portraits at F8
F11 +? Thought the whole idea of tilt was to get depth of field without stopping the lens down significantly? Are you stopping down for more for are because that's where the lens is sharpest? There appears to be different versions of this lens, which do you have?

Please consider doing a review of your Hartblei and posting in the review section here.

Thanks,
barondla

04-24-2021, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

You right in a way, but the problem with Sheimflug (as you may already know) that unlike regular lens, where the plane of focus becomes a block of focus as the aperture is decreased, the DOF when tilted is razer thin near the camera and expands like a cone as it move away. If I dial in say F3.5 or F4, the foreground will be sharp as long as it is 2D-flat. If on the other hand the foreground contains any amount of 3D objects, this is when the F8 or F11 helps.

Now suppose, I'm trying to click a tulip field, the very tips of tulips in the foreground will be sharp but the anything below will be blurry mess :-/ unless one exploits this trait (as in some portraits).

Thanks for the suggestion, I will consider doing a review.
04-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You right in a way, but the problem with Sheimflug (as you may already know) that unlike regular lens, where the plane of focus becomes a block of focus as the aperture is decreased, the DOF when tilted is razer thin near the camera and expands like a cone as it move away. If I dial in say F3.5 or F4, the foreground will be sharp as long as it is 2D-flat. If on the other hand the foreground contains any amount of 3D objects, this is when the F8 or F11 helps.

Now suppose, I'm trying to click a tulip field, the very tips of tulips in the foreground will be sharp but the anything below will be blurry mess :-/ unless one exploits this trait (as in some portraits).

Thanks for the suggestion, I will consider doing a review.
Thanks for the explanation. I knew tall items up close could go partly out of focus, top to bottom. I've never used Scheimpflug, only read about it. The example I saw dealt with trees. Your scenario is much shorter and closing the lens down more makes perfect sense. F11 is still a lot better than F22-32.

Do you use the lens for landscape or macro (with extension tubes)? Does it usually manage to get everything you want in focus? There is a fascinating comparison of tilt vs image stacking at Dpreview in the medium format forum. Is this an often used lens or only once in a while? Trying to decide if it's worth my investment.

Hope you do a review. Would love to read it. Couldn't find any reviews here. Found the Luminous Landscape review.

Thanks,

barondla
04-25-2021, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

My thumb rule for when to use the 45mm SR is simple. If stuff in the frame aren't moving - photo-stack. so usually 45mmSR gets used in landscape where there is a relatively flat foreground and elements of the foreground are moving - for example plants, flowers, insects etc which is extremely difficult to photo-stack. That said, I do sometimes use the 45mmSR if i need to push some pesky objects to a blurry grave ;-) . apart from Macro and Landscape, the 45mmSR is brilliant when used for portraits, although now-a-days it is a bit cliche.

Yes, when properly aligned, the 45mm SR does get everything in focus as long as the foreground is relatively flat (in horizontal or vertical dimetion, as you tilt sideways as well) , OTOH, no one can stop us from Photo-stacking several Tilted images - the stacking software doesn't mind , for example if we have field of wild flowers with distant mountains + one lovely tree trunk with a nice texture on either side of the frame, I first tilt for get the flower fields in a frame (with blurry tree trunk) then keeping the setup in the same position, click another picture with a tilt favouring the tree-trunk. 1+2 photo-stack - usually a better picture. IMHO one needs to per-visualise how the lens and stack-combinations come together, lest the entire effort ends up in the bin (yup, several hundreds of mine).

Hope this help and happy to answer any other questions

04-30-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by romay Quote
Anyone knows how the Hartblei lenses compare to the Arax 35mm T/S? I would like to buy a Hartblei for photogrammetry but only if it's significantly sharper than the Arax I own.

Let me try posting a picture here soonish and I'll let you decide. I do not have an Arax so I wouldnt know, but all I can say is it is sharp enough for me; it does suffer from significant CA and flare issues so you need to be aware of that. Hartibelei these days are selling lenses that are apparently made out of Zeiss branded glass for a lot money, and that might be better at CA, Flare etc., All the best.

Since I seem to be only one having this strange beast and willing to talk, I'm happy to help this community in any way I can (as far as I can). Feel free to PM me for specific questions.
05-01-2021, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Here you go folks ... Hope this answers your questions about sharpness . Centre is the whole image. The two 100% crops from the foreground and background is also attached. Camera used - K1

Name:  SuperRotator_PinkTulip.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  281.4 KB

Last edited by vijaykishan; 05-01-2021 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added the body that was used
05-01-2021, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you! Note to T/S affectionados, the distant part of the image will have some degradation due to atmospheric turbulence -- maximized along low altitude (near ground) horizontal paths.
05-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Thank you! Note to T/S affectionados, the distant part of the image will have some degradation due to atmospheric turbulence -- maximized along low altitude (near ground) horizontal paths.
Exacta-mo
05-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here you go folks ... Hope this answers your questions about sharpness . Centre is the whole image. The two 100% crops from the foreground and background is also attached. Camera used - K1

Attachment 532993
Very helpful to me. Looks very good. Just to be clear does your lens use the Russian glass or is it the new one with Zeiss glass?

Thanks,
barondla
05-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Very helpful to me. Looks very good. Just to be clear does your lens use the Russian glass or is it the new one with Zeiss glass?

Thanks,
barondla
The old one, AFAIK from the old Jena factory in Ukraine.... more info here Carl Zeiss AG - Wikipedia.
05-10-2021, 05:25 AM   #14

On Hartblei / Wiese, sie links below.

Wiese Fototechnik shift & shift/tilt lenses
Wiese Fototechnik P645 45/3.5 Shift&Tilt ? Pentaxians
05-10-2021, 05:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Very useful information, thank you. I wish the Superrotators we still built (not the super expensive Zeiss type), my copy works well, and I wish I had the option to buy with a narrower angle of view.