Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hasselblad comparison?

Has anyone got to use both the 645Z and the X1DII? Being as how I’m going to have to get new lenses with either and knowing neither will be used for action shots just curious on everyone’s experience…

JJ

04-22-2021, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a side note: You can get an adapter to use your new (!) 645 lenses on your other Pentax DSLR's, so an advantage they do double-duty.
04-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Just a side note: You can get an adapter to use your new (!) 645 lenses on your other Pentax DSLR's, so an advantage they do double-duty.
Can it work the other way with my FF lenses on the 645?

JJ
04-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote

JJ
No there isn't.
Here's one for 645 to K.
Pentax Adapter K for 645 Lens (645 to K mount) Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

04-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can also use older Hassy lenses on the 645Z with an adapter.
The Hassy X1D was a bit painful; I'm sure the II is better, but I haven't seen one yet (COVID not helping).
I love my 645Z.
04-22-2021, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't believe that you'll see any difference in the files from these 2 cameras with correct exposure at low iso's. If I had to bet then I'd bet the Z would have better shadow recovery and maybe less good highlight clipping characteristics (it seems to be biased that way. Fine with me!). So, then it comes down to form factor preferences, maybe some software aspects, and those aspects of mirrorless that might be beneficial to your shooting.

As far as adapting lenses is concerned, I was an early adopter of this 7 years ago with the Sony A7R. What I can say is that yes it is possible. Also, though, that it can be more awkward than it is ultimately worth.
04-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
The Hassy X1D was a bit painful; I'm sure the II is better, but I haven't seen one yet (COVID not helping).
I love my 645Z.
The new one is getting good reviews compared to the previous model, the price is slightly more than the Z and I’m leaning towards new vs 7 year old tech set...

JJ

04-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

JJ
There are two specific reasons...
  1. The FF lenses have a shorter registration distance than the 645 (so the FF frame lenses would need to sit inside the 645 mirrorbox).
  2. The FF lenses do not have a image projection that would cover the 645 sensor, so if you were able to get an image, it would occupy a small circle on the 645 sensor.

04-22-2021, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The registration distance would likely force FF lenses to lose infinity focus, but it's possible that some FF lenses cover the 33x44 sensor which is about 25-30% larger than FF. So limited to close ups.

The image circle may also be bigger at closer focus distances / when the lens is further away from the sensor.

People have successfully adapted FF lenses to mirrorless medium format while preserving infinity focus because the registration distance is short enough to accept an adapter.
04-22-2021, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new one is getting good reviews compared to the previous model, the price is slightly more than the Z and I’m leaning towards new vs 7 year old tech set...

JJ
I'd take the Pentax. Never considered Hassey the king of tech. They sure aren't focused on being thrifty. Do they even build cameras anymore, or does someone else build them? Look at the lens prices.

Thanks,
barondla
04-22-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

I’d be curious to what other people say about this. Hassie is of course one of the giants of MF, but they seemed really aimed at pure studio work without even trying to pretend that they want to do a whole lot of field work. Pentax is sort of in the middle, and Fuji seems to lean a little more field with their smaller rig and PDAF. If Pentax AF is anything like their other lines, what texandrews described above will be correct as far as how the sensor performs.
04-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #12

About camera sensors..... Camera Sensor Review - DXOMARK They are close.
04-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I'd take the Pentax. Never considered Hassey the king of tech. They sure aren't focused on being thrifty. Do they even build cameras anymore, or does someone else build them? Look at the lens prices.

Thanks,
barondla
Actually they do still build their own cameras, and they have an interesting history. As for field work it seems people are using them for landscape and street pics...

04-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I love my 645Z.
Is there a particular adapter that is recommended for use with the older 500 C/M film-era lenses?
04-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 11GTCS Quote
I’d be curious to what other people say about this. Hassie is of course one of the giants of MF, but they seemed really aimed at pure studio work without even trying to pretend that they want to do a whole lot of field work. Pentax is sort of in the middle, and Fuji seems to lean a little more field with their smaller rig and PDAF. If Pentax AF is anything like their other lines, what texandrews described above will be correct as far as how the sensor performs.
Actually they did a lot of field work with the X1Dii in review videos, now I agree their other models are more suited for indoors...
Here’s the original model review

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 04-24-2021 at 08:02 AM.