Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 645 Battery Holder

I read a thread in here and someone mentioned they were coming up with a replacement battery holder for the 645. Someone also posted in the 645 Facebook group that they were doing the same thing. Might be it's the same person, but I can't be sure. He has posted a start on a STL file he was working on, and I had a look at it. The roots of the project were definately there, but it had a ways to go. Until that point, I never realized there was much demand for this item, but it appears there is. Regardless, I figured this might be something I can work on to help out the comminity. Seeing as I basically do this sort of reverse engineering for a living, I figured I'd give a go at modeling this. So what I've come up with I think is a very good start. I've got my friend 3d printing a prototype so I can see if it will actually physically fit in the camera as it's supposed to, and I'll go from there. I've attached a few pictures to show my progress. Feel free to give me any input on what might be a good thing to change. This is basically modelled like the existing on, and the person who was working on it, mentioned he was doing this up to work with a 9V battery, so that is definately something I can look into as well if the interest is actually there. Only thing I've not modelled in is the texturue on the grip. I probably won't be able to easily duplicate the pattern, but I can definately come up with something.

As you can see from my overlay of my 3D scan vs the CAD I created, it's not perfect, but seeing as the original is like a million years old (lol), I took some educated guesses. I'll know for sure if it's a problem when I do my test fit of the 3D printed prototype.

Attached Images

04-24-2021, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new tech puts life into an older device, fantastic. loving it. Enjoy.
04-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The grip pattern is glued on rubbery stuff anyway. Is the plan to take the metal parts off an existing cracked battery holder?
04-25-2021, 04:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
The grip pattern is glued on rubbery stuff anyway. Is the plan to take the metal parts off an existing cracked battery holder?
Honestly not sure what the best option would be for this. The 9v version should be a lot easier. I have no experience with plastic, so not sure how easy it would be to transfer over from an old grip to a new grip. My current grip is in perfect working order, so I definitely am not going to tear it apart to try for obvious reasons. I’m just trying to help out with the basic frame at this point.

05-06-2021, 05:04 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quick update. I got a 3D printed prototype made. It wasn’t printed at the correct resolution, but was still good enough to test fit in my camera. Wasn’t perfect, but I could get it to lock. Took a bit of pressure to get it locked, but it did work. It seems it’s a little wide on the outside where it’s supposed to mount flush with the camera. Not sure if it’s because the print was a bit “off” of if my model is a bit off. I’m going to try printing another version and see how that works.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
05-08-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great work!

I'd include it in this list:
More Pentax related 3D printable goodies - PentaxForums.com
05-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Quick update. I got a 3D printed prototype made. It wasn’t printed at the correct resolution, but was still good enough to test fit in my camera. Wasn’t perfect, but I could get it to lock. Took a bit of pressure to get it locked, but it did work. It seems it’s a little wide on the outside where it’s supposed to mount flush with the camera. Not sure if it’s because the print was a bit “off” of if my model is a bit off. I’m going to try printing another version and see how that works.
Excellent project and results. Why is there such a demand? Do the originals wear out or break?

Thanks,
barondla

05-09-2021, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

645 battery holder - PentaxForums.com
05-09-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Explains why I've seen 645s listed for sale without battery holder. Seems like there should be some way to strengthen the holder.

Thanks,
barondla
06-01-2023, 05:32 AM   #10

Is this project still in development?

I know nothing about scanning or 3d printing but have given considerable thought to the solution as my battery holder is somewhat broken. Seems to me, although no-one knew at the original design / manufacturing stage, but the holder plastic is not sufficiently strong and the plastic is obviously, too thin. OK those are statements of the bleeding obvious!

In my humble opinion, one problem lies with the spring loaded battery contacts. They have to provide pressure to make good contact, but the pressure from six batteries is all bearing on some very thin plastic which was never sufficiently strong. If the spring pressure was less, and the contacts not so large, then the top and base plastic could be thicker. Even 1mm on both surfaces would make a considerable difference.

But what do I know?