Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zany idea allowing DSLRs to one up mirrorless

Mirrorless uses the DSLR's mirror tunnel space against them. DSLR's could use that space to do something mirrorless can't.

Why not have a button that mechanically locks the mirror up and opens a trap door in the bottom of the mirror box? Then a miniature projector would raise up into the mirror box and allow projecting images onto a screen. Crazy, but could be useful.

Thanks,
barondla

04-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
locks the mirror up and opens a trap door in the bottom of the mirror box?
we'd have to move the PDAF somewhere else then, because I believe that's the location where those phase detectors are stored.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Then a miniature projector would raise up into the mirror box and allow projecting images onto a screen.
What's being projected? The sensor image into the viewfinder? Wouldn't the miniature projector that raised up interfere with the incoming light before it hit the sensor?

---

I guess I would also be concerned with projection lag time - my #1 complaint with mirrorless as it is.

Fun thought experiment !
04-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn’t all the PDAF hardware up top now? Or am I thinking of something else?

You could flip the mirror over and have the projector point up from the bottom...

-Eric
04-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Isn’t all the PDAF hardware up top now?
Maybe you're thinking of the AF points or light meter?
I'm pretty sure the PDAF is still below the mirror, as seen by the lil lenses below the mirror in this picture:

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by FozzFoster; 04-29-2021 at 11:07 AM.
04-29-2021, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think he means literally being able to use it as a projector. The amount of light and the amount of power and heat seems like it would be counter productive and small projectors are pretty widely available.
04-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think he means literally being able to use it as a projector.
oh I see, to view already taken images on a wall or something. Instead of plugging a camera into your computer to view the images on a bigger screen.
Wouldn't need to be in the mirror box then - something like the focus-assist light could do that projecting, no?
Although your heat/power/cost impracticality argument is really going to crux of this issue.
04-29-2021, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Maybe you're thinking of the AF points or light meter?
I'm pretty sure the PDAF is still below the mirror, as seen by the lil lenses below the mirror in this picture:
Yep. That’s it... I was thinking the fancy new meter in the K3iii...

Maybe a cool thing would be a “parking mode” that would pull up the mirror to enable retractable lenses to retract into that empty space. Though that would be tricky to implement safely...

-Eric

04-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Yep. That’s it... I was thinking the fancy new meter in the K3iii...

Maybe a cool thing would be a “parking mode” that would pull up the mirror to enable retractable lenses to retract into that empty space. Though that would be tricky to implement safely...

-Eric
Nikon had a few older Fisheye that required using mirror lock up. Of course there wasn’t any option for liveview then.
04-29-2021, 03:34 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe just fill it with skittles and give the photographer a treat every time the shutter button is pressed.
04-29-2021, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Maybe just fill it with skittles and give the photographer a treat every time the shutter button is pressed.
You might be on to something here. We could also use that method to train a chimpanzee to go out and taken the photos for us.
04-29-2021, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
You might be on to something here. We could also use that method to train a chimpanzee to go out and taken the photos for us.
Like this?

Monkey selfie copyright dispute - Wikipedia
04-29-2021, 11:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner ! Make it AI based and treat the photographer only if the AI decides it is a nicely comosed image, anything else make the mirror box emit a nasty gas
04-30-2021, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Oh boy. Next we’ll have treehuggers insisting the giant sequoia are entitled to royalties. Like the skittles idea, mind you, let’s see the next mirrorless maker fit that in, while an 8x10 field camera could hold several pounds of ‘em.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 04-30-2021 at 05:04 AM.