Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #1

Pentax 6x7 mirror not going all the way up

Hi there!

I have a Pentax 6x7 MLU (413xxx) that seems to fire correctly at all speeds (at least, 1s and 1/2s
feel accurate).
The body is in pretty great shape so I don't think it's been abused.

There's one major mirror issue with it and it doesn't seem to be the usual contact solenoid cleaning issue.

The mirror doesn't go all the way up without a little help (either when firing normally, or with the MLU slide).
It stops a 3mm shy of the closed position.
It needs either a push, or gravity's help (shooting towards the ceiling, or down. Shooting portrait works 100% of the time too).

Once in up position, everything else is fine, the camera fires and the mirror slams back down vigorously.

I studied the service manual a little bit. I don't pretend to understand how that camera works,
but the only thing I can think of is a weak flip up spiral spring (coupled to mirror actuator disk).

Would lubing axle pins help too?

Or am I completely off track?

All the feedback/help is appreciated.

Thanks

04-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A camera the age of a Pentax 6x7 is likely due for a CLA.
04-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
A camera the age of a Pentax 6x7 is likely due for a CLA.
You're right, just trying to understand the extent of the work that's going to be needed.
04-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Repairs probably start at $200, if that is the information you are looking for.

04-30-2021, 09:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

lube it up! i got one on the super cheap.....the mirror would stick and now it does not from lubing n working the shutter.....but after 2 of 4 rolls coming back blank i have discovered that 1/500 & 1/1000 the curtain will not travel at times.......a lil lube (rosonol aka lighter fluid) n it goes as it should till it evaporates i presume......hoping at some point soon it run evenly from working it...............most likely it's all the grime build up inside the body and maybe it will eventually get cleared.....if not soon prolly send it off
05-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Perfect. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks a lot.
I'm guessing you opened it up to get access to all the wheels etc, right?

I'm going to get watch oil and tips ASAP.

Thanks again
05-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

are you having any luck? i finally gave in and followed this instruction....and the curtain is now moving at all shutter speeds ( i had not had mirror problems for a good lil bit)......the leatherette was original and peeled off rather easily with my finger nail and a wooden manicure stick (basically a big ass tooth pick but one edge is smooth with a hard angle)......i did a lil rosonol in the compartment and lightly added oil with a syringe to the gears.....also ran a regular tooth pick between the metal spring contacts to hopefully clear any debris i could not see......after a couple days i have placed the plates back on and will wait a few days more to make sure the curtain is still traveling at all speeds (i do not know if they are correct but will open so i should get exposed film versus another possible blank roll) then i will glue the leather back into place......because previously i could not pass a whole day without the curtain traveling at 1/500 & 1/1000

Mirror stuck repair in Pentax 6X7/67 cameras ? A step-by-step guide

i also did this cleaning prior of the shutter speed dial......

Pentax 6 X 7 Intermittent Shutter Problem Solved | datsphotography.ca

will say both are relatively easy to perform!! the leatherette was my biggest concern which is kinda silly

05-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
That gives me hope. Thanks Aaron.
I have not started yet as I'm busy with some motorcycle project now.
I too am concerned about the leatherette actually, does it come off that easy?
Did you have to clean the plates and how did you remove the old glue?
Does it glue back on cleanly?

What's the ronsonol for? Does it clean mechanical parts?

Thanks
05-11-2021, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitoun Quote
I too am concerned about the leatherette actually, does it come off that easy?
that was my major concern but it came off rather easily to my surprise (no telling if it was the original application but very consistent for the whole body so maybe?)

most of the glue rubbed off both the body n the removed leatherette.....however to finish getting it all off the body used "Goo Gone" with a cotton ball

have not glued back on yet still going a few more days of the curtain traveling to have confidence....not sure how i will approach it in case they need to be removed again

love rosonol use it quite often on various old cameras i have with great success(just got another bottle) .....it's a good cleaner and evaporates leaving very little residue...sometimes it's all that's needed if it don't do the trick then i will add sewing machine oil via the syringe
05-12-2021, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

running film through it today.....did not get to use 500 or 1000.....still half the roll left......hoping to get to test those speeds
06-02-2021, 08:33 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

that roll turned out blank but believe it was the film as it were expired........ran some fresh through this weekend.....and seems to be doing what it is supposed to!

think i got this 6x7 working decently after a few months of nursing it back to health (got it on the cheap and makes for 2 in the stable)......smc tak 90/2.8 LS.....ektar100....

12-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #12

Original Poster
Finally decided to clean my 6x7 today.
The leatherette came off easily after applying a little Goo off and letting it sit 10min.

Removed both covers and started cleaning a few sensitive points with Rosonal.

My issue was NOT that the mirror was stuck but rather that the mirror failed to come all the way up.
I proceeded to oil (using watch oil) all the contact points and pins involved in the mirror mechanism and voila!

After around sixty cycles, the camera shoots 100% of the time. Speeds "seem" accurate but only a test with film will say.

Cleaning and re-gluing the leatherette with gorilla glue went just fine. It looks as if if was never open.

Thanks for the help.
12-07-2021, 06:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitoun Quote
After around sixty cycles, the camera shoots 100% of the time. Speeds "seem" accurate but only a test with film will say.

Cleaning and re-gluing the leatherette with gorilla glue went just fine. It looks as if if was never open.
man that is some wonderful news!! woot!!

the 6x7 that worked on is still kicking and consistent! a good clean got her rolling again!

happy shooting!