Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a Pentax 645D/Z debug mode?

I've seen debug modes mentioned for K mounts. Any knowledge of one for medium format? Camera is based on K-3 so it seems there would be one.

Thanks,
barondla

05-10-2021, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Dropbox with Pentax Hack files in the SDM to screwdrive conversion thread indicates they both have debug mode.
05-10-2021, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I've seen debug modes mentioned for K mounts. Any knowledge of one for medium format? Camera is based on K-3 so it seems there would be one.

Thanks,
barondla
What is the plan to use debug for? K-3 and K-50 and newer all fail to be able to do screw drive conversion.
05-10-2021, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have to ask...What your intended use for debug mode? There is a risk of bricking your camera.

Steve

05-10-2021, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What is the plan to use debug for? K-3 and K-50 and newer all fail to be able to do screw drive conversion.
No plans to use.

---------- Post added 05-10-21 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have to ask...What your intended use for debug mode? There is a risk of bricking your camera.

Steve
I'm not planning to use it at all. Was just curious and I'd never seen anything about it.
Thanks,
barondla
05-10-2021, 10:01 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
No plans to use.

---------- Post added 05-10-21 at 09:14 PM ----------

I'm not planning to use it at all. Was just curious and I'd never seen anything about it.
Thanks,
barondla
Yes, there are such Debug Mode files.
Or you can create them by yourself.
Use Notepad. Open new empty file, write 1 string
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

Save file as 00077840.547 (for 645z camera), just do not use .txt extension (save as "all files", i.e. without extension).
Then Open new empty Notepad file and just save it as DEVELOP.MOD (do not use .txt extension, save as "all files", i.e. without extension).
1. put both files for your camera on the root of your SD card
2. put SD card in camera but leave the door open
3. turn on camera
4. now you are in debug menu - have fun!

For 645D:
Open empty Notepad file, add new data with following inside:
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
Save file with the name MODSET.487 (do not use .txt extension, save as "all files", i.e. without extension).
1. put the file for your camera on the root of your SD card
2. put SD card in camera but leave the door open
3. turn on camera
4. now you are in debug menu - have fun!
05-11-2021, 05:02 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh here comes trouble... Medex - thanks for opening Pandora's box. Barondla will now reveal that 10,000 new features he's wanted are as easy as poking bits in the camera...

05-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Oh here comes trouble... Medex - thanks for opening Pandora's box. Barondla will now reveal that 10,000 new features he's wanted are as easy as poking bits in the camera...
I tried debug mode on istD, k100d, k200d, k-x, k-30, k-5, maybe on k-5II and even on k-1. In most cases for AF adjustment because I have series of modified cameras. There are various tests and functions that I do not understand. But in that case I do not explore them and change nothing.
Actually I found useful for me AF adjudtment only.
05-11-2021, 06:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

05-11-2021, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How did you know? In a few hours I found the most amazing thing. The Pentax 645Z already has a full frame 150mp IS sensor! Pentax is just waiting for the proper time to throw the switch with new firmware . Just kidding.

barondla is no computer expert and won't be playing with debug on the Z.

---------- Post added 05-11-21 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I tried debug mode on istD, k100d, k200d, k-x, k-30, k-5, maybe on k-5II and even on k-1. In most cases for AF adjustment because I have series of modified cameras. There are various tests and functions that I do not understand. But in that case I do not explore them and change nothing.
Actually I found useful for me AF adjudtment only.
I am curious what mods your cameras have? Also want to thank you for answering original thread question.

Thanks,
barondla
05-12-2021, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I downloaded the files and started my z in debug mode. Wasn't much to see or change, unless there is another trick to go deeper into some settings.

Anybody with suggestions to do something useful with debug mode?
05-12-2021, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I downloaded the files and started my z in debug mode. Wasn't much to see or change, unless there is another trick to go deeper into some settings.

You are brave and took one for the team. Glad nothing went wrong. Kind of glad nothing exciting was found. Now ol' barondla won't be tempted.

Thanks,
barondla
05-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote

On the first menu on most bodies hit menu after you enter debug mode time to get into another set of features. Never tried on a 645 since I don’t have one.