Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Its Y I shoot Pentax Quote
Really good thread as I too have also contemplated taking the medium format plunge. Thank you for the perspectives.
Notice how many people here also own FF cameras. Many say they would rather be shooting the medium format. There are some nice 645 Pentax D/Z bodies available in the marketplace here. One D body is going for under $1700. A used lens can be picked up inexpensively for ~$200. Try it, f you don't like it sell it. The image files are so nice to work with.

Thanks,
barondla

06-19-2021, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

TBH I think unless you really need it to be a DSLR, the Fujifilm system is much better and you can adapt many other lenses to use on it, which you can't do with the 645Z.
06-19-2021, 04:48 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
TBH I think unless you really need it to be a DSLR, the Fujifilm system is much better and you can adapt many other lenses to use on it, which you can't do with the 645Z.
As much as I am a Pentax fanboy, I am afraid you are right. One thing that worries me about any system, especially pricy photo gear, is service. The only company that I have dealt with that has been solid is Canon. The rest of the camera industry sucks when it comes to service. I think Sony and Fuji are moving fast to remedy the situation. Pentax, from all the horror stories I have heard or read about is in no hurry to do anything about service. That alone would stir me toward Fuji, getting a brand-new 100MP MF camera with IBIS and 4K video for only $1,000 more than the price of a brand-new 645Z is icing on the cake!
06-19-2021, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it also depends on the ergonomics of each system and if ergonomics are important to the buyer at all. And I'll add to that the evf vs ovf issue.

Then also keep in mind you can buy all the current Pentax 645 lenses on the used market at enormous discounts. The Fuji used market still small.

It sounds nice to think you can convert other high end and cheap lenses to the Fuji mounts, but keep in mind that the conversion renders most lenses into a piece of glass only. Combine that with a camera system with limited ergonomics and your task load will increase.

Why ergonomics? At the worst end of the scale you end up going on a photo trip/hike and spend a couple of hours fiddling with the gear. On the best and of the scale you arrive at the location, take out your camera and spend a couple of hours banking some great images. My suggestion - Be sure you can be content with the ergonomics of the system you buy.

Perhaps the difference is not just $1000.

06-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I think it also depends on the ergonomics of each system and if ergonomics are important to the buyer at all. And I'll add to that the evf vs ovf issue.
I agree 100%. That is why I prefer my K1 over my Fuji XT bodies for still photography. I use my Fuji XT cameras mostly for video. In my mind, it comes down to confidence in the system and the company behind it. Obviously I am a Pentax guy and will support them for as long as I can. Investing in any medium format is costly. Pentax and Fuji are at the low end of the price spectrum. Hassy and Phase One are at the upper end. If I ever go medium format, my budget is at the low end. The ultimate question for me is; would there be an empty chair left for Pentax when the music stops?! I have to make any future purchase decision with this question in mind.
06-19-2021, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are other differences besides ovf vs evf. Fuji uses focus by wire lenses. This causes numerous problems for serious photography. I've seen reports of lens motors that don't have enough grunt to focus with a Lee filter holder and filter attached! Switching to manual focus doesn't help - same weak motor. Are these motors going to become even weaker as the lens ages? There are also reports of Fuji lenses having focus creep. The lenses won't stay where they are manually focused from shot to shot.

100mp sounds great, but is utterly useless if the image is out of focus. It is possible the Fuji are more advanced amateur creations than professional. I could live without great autofocus by switching to manual. But, if manual focus doesn't work then what?

Thanks,
barondla
06-20-2021, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Put the Pentax lenses on the Fuji. That would be my plan. Not that I'm planning on moving from the 645D any time soon.

As far as Full Frame goes, my Nikon Df is used for times where Medium Format is just plain the wrong idea. And, the 645D is used where the full frame is just plain the wrong idea. It was that way in my film era as well.

Stan

06-20-2021, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Put the Pentax lenses on the Fuji. That would be my plan.
That would work perfectly. That is why I have kept a few of my Pentax 645 lenses. I was thinking of getting into 645Z at some point. But if it ends up being a Fuji MF body, then I can still use my excellent Pentax 645 lenses. I will be using this set up for landscape and studio product photography and I would not need the autofocus anyway.
06-21-2021, 04:06 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Bear in mind that both these digital MF systems use a sensor that's smaller than film 645 and many legacy lenses for 135 format will provide a sufficient image circle, especially if they're around the 50mm focal length. There'll be some vignetting but my understanding is that it's not that bad. Of course that's no good on the DSLR as focusing distance will be very limited, but on a mirrorless system they will focus to infinity.
06-22-2021, 04:58 AM - 2 Likes   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bear in mind that both these digital MF systems use a sensor that's smaller than film 645 and many legacy lenses for 135 format will provide a sufficient image circle, especially if they're around the 50mm focal length. There'll be some vignetting but my understanding is that it's not that bad. Of course that's no good on the DSLR as focusing distance will be very limited, but on a mirrorless system they will focus to infinity.
I'm puzzled by this, only the very best 135 format lenses are good enough in the corners of the 135 frame, how likely are you to get good corners when going considerably further away from the corners of the 135 frame? The diagonal of the 135 format is 43mm, that of 44x33 is 55mm - why bother with 100MP if you're skimping by not even using MF optics?
06-24-2021, 05:11 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I'm puzzled by this, only the very best 135 format lenses are good enough in the corners of the 135 frame, how likely are you to get good corners when going considerably further away from the corners of the 135 frame? The diagonal of the 135 format is 43mm, that of 44x33 is 55mm - why bother with 100MP if you're skimping by not even using MF optics?
And yet adapters are available that allow it to be done. I sold a K-mount lens (I forget which one) to a guy who had a 50MP Fujifilm that he got used but he couldn't afford any native glass. According to him many lenses were fine, beyond that I can't comment.
06-25-2021, 12:40 AM - 4 Likes   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did ....645Z purchased in 2021

Took the plunge and finally got a digital 645Z body for the five (count 'em) lenses that were still in the stable...

...45mm, 75mm, 120 macro, 200mm prime, 80-160 zoom, 2x converter and helicoid extension tube....basically free and long ago paid for use in wedding and personal work.....

...Could not be happier to see these pieces of glass come to life! All of them are producing good to great images.....

....add to that latest version 75mm and 35mm AF glass and the excitement level is high about taking this package on the road...

attached are two from the new 75mm, one from the new 35mm and one from the legacy 200mm with legacy 2x converter...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
06-25-2021, 04:08 AM - 2 Likes   #88

Good to see another new Z user. The more folk that buy them, the more they'll be inclined to make a new 100mp Z.

TBH it's actually the best DLSR on sale (**with an intergrated sensor). It's actually better at high ISO than the BSI sensors, and got the most resolution (vertical lines at 6192 accross) of any other. Dynamic range remains unmatched as does colour depth, bar the D850 but only at base ISO.

They should be absolutely flying off the shelves for what they cost vs what they deliver if I am being honest. They offer more to any landscape/travel photographer than any system on sale if IQ is the thing that matters.
06-25-2021, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I've seen reports of lens motors that don't have enough grunt to focus with a Lee filter holder and filter attached!
That may be with the 63mm lens, because all other GF lenses are internal focus.

There are also reports of Fuji lenses having focus creep. The lenses won't stay where they are manually focused from shot to shot.
That, yeah, better keep the lens horizontal or refocus for every new shot, it should work that way.

It is possible the Fuji are more advanced amateur creations than professional.
I agree, Fuji MF target is consumer having the money (e.g. upgrade path for X series owners), their approach is similar to Sony, good paper specifications, lots of marketing and frequent firmware fixes, physical implementation in cameras is rather basic for the price. I've tried the GFX50R (after the GFX50S), and I couldn't believe such bad ergonomics and build quality at the price point, clearly below Pentax 645D/Z series. Having handled the 645Z, I can confirm my impression of the 645Z being the Rolls Royce of cameras. A lot of things I can do simply with my Pentax K1, that are not even possible with a Fuji MF camera. If I buy an MF system, my natural choice would be a Pentax 645z but that system looks already dead, unfortunately, no sign of life from Ricoh on the 645 front. Fuji would be the only affordable alternative for my budget, where I can hope to get some after sales service if something breaks.
06-25-2021, 04:55 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
Took the plunge and finally got a digital 645Z body for the five (count 'em) lenses that were still in the stable...

...45mm, 75mm, 120 macro, 200mm prime, 80-160 zoom, 2x converter and helicoid extension tube....basically free and long ago paid for use in wedding and personal work.....

...Could not be happier to see these pieces of glass come to life! All of them are producing good to great images.....

....add to that latest version 75mm and 35mm AF glass and the excitement level is high about taking this package on the road...

attached are two from the new 75mm, one from the new 35mm and one from the legacy 200mm with legacy 2x converter...
Congrats and enjoy, it is a nice and capable system.