Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2021, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #151

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Other than in terms of number of MP, not sure how this is so. Even the FF Sony sensors with fewer MP in the K-1 and D850 score significantly better than does the 5DSR in terms of dynamic range and noise. The A7R4 has more MP and better performance.
They do - but a 5DSR is hardly some high noise unsuable dynamic range brick. It still captures 12ev DR to 13.9ev DR of A7RiV and 14.3 ev DR of 645z and D850. It's not as good, but in the hands of a competent photographer still an outstanding camera.

The A7RiV, if you can handle mirrorless, is probably the best sub $3k camera you can buy. The GFX100S must also be considered.

D850's are great, but if resolution is your goal the 5dsr is the best FF DLSR you can buy. As a blend of abilities though the D850 is a remarkable device and I very nearly bought one.

07-10-2021, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

TBH I think FF is fine for 95% of what people want to do with MF, just like APS-C is fine for 95% of what people want to do with FF.

Pentax need to update the sensor in their 645 line too complete with Fujifilm.

07-10-2021, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #153
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
TBH I think FF is fine for 95% of what people want to do with MF, just like APS-C is fine for 95% of what people want to do with FF.

Pentax need to update the sensor in their 645 line too complete with Fujifilm.
Well, I disagree with the first assertion. Everyone I know who's moved into digital medium format has done so because they feel it does something FF doesn't. The second bit is more true, but not 95% I don't think. As far as competing with Fuji is concerned, I doubt that's much of a motivation for Pentax at this point. Anyway, the sensor will undoubtedly be an upgrade: the sensor in the Z may not be made anymore, and Pentax will be wanting to do a few new things with a new Z anyway, some of which might involve the sensor in other ways besides mp count.
07-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reading the story at Petapixel about Fujifilm, Pentax's waiting strategy may be the best plan. Fuji's new head is pivoting much further into the medical field. Photography is still profitable, but far less than medical. The previous Fuji head honcho was bullish on photography. Thankfully he was still around to greenlight their medium format expansion.

Thanks,
barondla

07-11-2021, 01:52 AM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, I disagree with the first assertion. Everyone I know who's moved into digital medium format has done so because they feel it does something FF doesn't. The second bit is more true, but not 95% I don't think. As far as competing with Fuji is concerned, I doubt that's much of a motivation for Pentax at this point. Anyway, the sensor will undoubtedly be an upgrade: the sensor in the Z may not be made anymore, and Pentax will be wanting to do a few new things with a new Z anyway, some of which might involve the sensor in other ways besides mp count.
Well there's your 5%.

The size difference between APS-C and FF is greater than that between FF and MF (these smaller MF sensors) so there ought to be less of a difference in performance.

07-11-2021, 05:16 AM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
After reading the story at Petapixel about Fujifilm, Pentax's waiting strategy may be the best plan. Fuji's new head is pivoting much further into the medical field. Photography is still profitable, but far less than medical. The previous Fuji head honcho was bullish on photography. Thankfully he was still around to greenlight their medium format expansion.

Thanks,
barondla
Since Fujifilm are one o the major manufacturers of vaccines, this is a natural step. It doesn't mean that the permanent focus of Fujifilm will always reflect this. If the previous CEO had been in post still, he most likely would have done the same.
07-11-2021, 10:00 AM - 2 Likes   #157
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Well there's your 5%.

The size difference between APS-C and FF is greater than that between FF and MF (these smaller MF sensors) so there ought to be less of a difference in performance.
I haven't found that to be true. The difference is very noticeable in a number of ways, but I think mostly in the malleability of the files. And although the K1mkI and II are on paper better with high iso noise, I have not seen that to be the case at all. If I have low light work to do, the choice is always the Z, unless it's just documentary work of installations mechanics for the exhibits department.

07-11-2021, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I haven't found that to be true. The difference is very noticeable in a number of ways, but I think mostly in the malleability of the files. And although the K1mkI and II are on paper better with high iso noise, I have not seen that to be the case at all. If I have low light work to do, the choice is always the Z, unless it's just documentary work of installations mechanics for the exhibits department.
I would echo this as the K1 series shares the same sensor with the D810's I used to operate. ISO400 on the 645z is as clear and ungrainy as IS100 on the 645z. ISO200 in the D810 is already grainy at 400 is not good at all.

The dynamic range of the 645z I would say exceeds that of the Nikon, but it's not a lot in it. The image quality is on another level though.
07-13-2021, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #159
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What bugging me about those medium format camera system is after sales / repair / part services. Pentax 645z is still being sold, not discontinued, even after years of being sold, which is quite reassuring from a professional use standpoint. Continued support seems similar with Hasselblad. When I look at Fuji, things look more chaotic and tuned into the rapid obsolescence, they've changed the battery model since 50S and 50R series (short lived), and lots of lenses can't be bought right now with unknown deliver lead times, which IMHO isn't professional at all. Just imagine you are a professional using Fuji MF and your lens break, so you must stop working? Not serious at all. A professional need to be sure to be able to source equipment when needed and have his gear serviced in short lead times. So yes, 645z isn't new, but there is inventory of cameras and lenses available.
07-13-2021, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is something nice with good old things, which are working, rather than brand new shiny with quite fast refresh models coming and going. What I’m not saying is that pentax should not make update on 645Z, but what I’m saying is that it is good that they are keeping up with something that is good and cherished line. I’m debating on selling most of my FF(K-1) stuff and switch to aps-c (K-3III, I have this camera and it does well for 95% of things I want to capture)+ 645 system.
(OTOH K-1 + limiteds is quite nice)…
07-13-2021, 03:18 AM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What bugging me about those medium format camera system is after sales / repair / part services. Pentax 645z is still being sold, not discontinued, even after years of being sold, which is quite reassuring from a professional use standpoint. Continued support seems similar with Hasselblad. When I look at Fuji, things look more chaotic and tuned into the rapid obsolescence, they've changed the battery model since 50S and 50R series (short lived), and lots of lenses can't be bought right now with unknown deliver lead times, which IMHO isn't professional at all. Just imagine you are a professional using Fuji MF and your lens break, so you must stop working? Not serious at all. A professional need to be sure to be able to source equipment when needed and have his gear serviced in short lead times. So yes, 645z isn't new, but there is inventory of cameras and lenses available.
No choice in changing the battery type for the S as the shape of the body very different.
07-13-2021, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Read about the Hasselblad history and camera range over the weekend. Was surprised to see how much "sharing" of rebranded models are going on in the market. At some point Hasselblad sold Fuji cameras re-branded and Leica sold rebranded Panasonics and Sony cameras. The cheaper X1D 50 is basically a Fuji GFX 50 camera.

Hasselblad shamelessly market their new H6D100s with $15,000 upgrade as a H6D400s. The two cameras are identical, except the 400s has pixel shift and compiles a 400mpx picture, for an additional $15k. Lenses are $5k and up, and very limited in focal range. Want to do long lens pictures? You need a Pentax lens with an adapter. Go figure. The specs don't really impress me although it is sort of half way between the 43x33 format and 645FF. I couldn't figure out who is making the sensor for them.
07-13-2021, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When I bought my D I got lots of stuff for 'free' from the back of my cupboard: Plenty of batteries & chargers courtesy of my K-5 & K-1, an O-GPS1 module from my K-5, an IR remote control from a film P&S I bought 20 years ago, an AF240FT flash from my SFXn (works in manual flash only but provides rear curtain sync on the D) and countless other smaller items. Not to mention several 6x7 lenses and an adapter (I'd forgotten I had). Buying all this new for another system would have cost $$$$ - pushing the choice out of my available budget.
07-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Read about the Hasselblad history and camera range over the weekend. Was surprised to see how much "sharing" of rebranded models are going on in the market. At some point Hasselblad sold Fuji cameras re-branded and Leica sold rebranded Panasonics and Sony cameras. The cheaper X1D 50 is basically a Fuji GFX 50 camera.
You are missing Hasselblad selling a rebranded Sony APS-C camera at 5,000$ after adding a hideous wood grip to it.
But I believe you are mistaken to label the X1D50 as "basically a Fuji GFX 50". They use the same sensor, yes, but that's probably about it.
07-13-2021, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #165
Pentaxian

In fact it's the very same sensor that is in the 645Z