Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Battery freeze

Using CZJ 180/2.8, my 645Z freezes up, and battery must be removed to restart the camera. On restarting, settings are scrambled and must be reset to shoot another image. Shoot about 3 frames and it loks up- again. I removed that lens and installed the D FA 55mm f 2.8 AF, and all is well, no more lockup problems. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with this problem and a solution to it?

06-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Using CZJ 180/2.8, my 645Z freezes up, and battery must be removed to restart the camera. On restarting, settings are scrambled and must be reset to shoot another image. Shoot about 3 frames and it loks up- again. I removed that lens and installed the D FA 55mm f 2.8 AF, and all is well, no more lockup problems. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with this problem and a solution to it?
Haven't had this problem with the Arsat 30, Bronica 150, or other adapted lenses. Does your 180 use an adapter like the Arsat? If so, try leaving just it on camera and firing without lens attached. Did it lock up? If not, perhaps something on the 180 is mechanically fouling up the Z. If the adapter is the problem make sure it isn't somehow shorting out the body electrical contacts.

Good luck,
barondla
06-03-2021, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Haven't had this problem with the Arsat 30, Bronica 150, or other adapted lenses. Does your 180 use an adapter like the Arsat? If so, try leaving just it on camera and firing without lens attached. Did it lock up? If not, perhaps something on the 180 is mechanically fouling up the Z. If the adapter is the problem make sure it isn't somehow shorting out the body electrical contacts.

Good luck,
barondla
Thanks for your comments. My thoughts are about the same as yours. However, I have regularly used the Arsat 30, CZJ 80mm and 120mm biometar f 2.8 (all with the same Pentacon 6-P645 adapter as with the CZJ 180), I have also used almost all of the Pentax 67 lenses (using authorized Pentax adapter), etc., with no problems of any kind. I will launch upon trials of different Pentacon 6-P645 adapters and lenses to see whether there is some identifiable systematic factor at work here. For the moment, however, I am happy. It will be far preferable to have to give up use of the CZJ 180/2.8 than to spend hundreds of dollars repairing the Z!

You mentioned a Bronica lens. Do you find the 150mm or any other of the Bronica lenses of exceptional quality to justify adapting some of them to the Pentax 645Z/D? I have never played around with these so have no knowledge at all.

Last edited by ivanvernon; 06-03-2021 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added ast paragraph
06-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your comments. My thoughts are about the same as yours. However, I have regularly used the Arsat 30, CZJ 80mm and 120mm biometar f 2.8 (all with the same Pentacon 6-P645 adapter as with the CZJ 180), I have also used almost all of the Pentax 67 lenses (using authorized Pentax adapter), etc., with no problems of any kind. I will launch upon trials of different Pentacon 6-P645 adapters and lenses to see whether there is some identifiable systematic factor at work here. For the moment, however, I am happy. It will be far preferable to have to give up use of the CZJ 180/2.8 than to spend hundreds of dollars repairing the Z!

You mentioned a Bronica lens. Do you find the 150mm or any other of the Bronica lenses of exceptional quality to justify adapting some of them to the Pentax 645Z/D? I have never played around with these so have no knowledge at all.
I only have the Bronica PG 150. It is smaller and lighter than the Pentax 67 165 F2.8. I think it has nice bokeh. Wide open at F4 gives a little more DOF than the 165 at F2.8. Is there a pressing need for the Bronica? Probably not, but now I have the adapter so I'll watch for more. Here is the original thread with pics, if you missed it.
Bronica PG lens on Pentax 645Z - images. - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 06-04-2021 at 02:36 AM.
06-03-2021, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I only have the Bronica PG 150. It is smaller and lighter than the Pentax 67 165 F2.8. I think it has nice bokeh. Wide open at F4 gives a little more for than the 165 at F2.8. Is there a pressing need for the Bronica? Probably not, but now I have the adapter so I'll watch for more. Here is the original thread with pics, if you missed it.
Bronica PG lens on Pentax 645Z - images. - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,
barondla
I tried the 645Z with the Arsat 30mm fisheye, and it worked fine without the freeze effect. The adapter I used was the same brand though not the same copy, so it was not a very good test. I have a bundle of those P6-P645 adapters, and they tend to get stuck on the lenses and are difficult to remove.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on your Bronica adventures. I think I will sit this one out.

My major non-Pentax exercise has been to collect about a dozen Mamiya 645 C lenses. They are beautifully made all-metal MF lenses, some of them of notable quality and worth, notably the 80mm f 1.9, the fastest medium format lens ever known to have been produced, as well as the two macros, the 80mm/4.0 and 120mm/4.0 both magnificent. All of them are quite good, though not necessarily better than their P645 cognates. I use these on the K-1 as the registry distances on the 645D/Z are incompatible with the Mamiya medium format lenses. On Pentax full frame, these lenses also benefit from excellentr edge sharpness since the K-1 image circle is less than the Mamiya 645 circle.
06-04-2021, 02:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the 645Z with the Arsat 30mm fisheye, and it worked fine without the freeze effect. The adapter I used was the same brand though not the same copy, so it was not a very good test. I have a bundle of those P6-P645 adapters, and they tend to get stuck on the lenses and are difficult to remove.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on your Bronica adventures. I think I will sit this one out.

My major non-Pentax exercise has been to collect about a dozen Mamiya 645 C lenses. They are beautifully made all-metal MF lenses, some of them of notable quality and worth, notably the 80mm f 1.9, the fastest medium format lens ever known to have been produced, as well as the two macros, the 80mm/4.0 and 120mm/4.0 both magnificent. All of them are quite good, though not necessarily better than their P645 cognates. I use these on the K-1 as the registry distances on the 645D/Z are incompatible with the Mamiya medium format lenses. On Pentax full frame, these lenses also benefit from excellentr edge sharpness since the K-1 image circle is less than the Mamiya 645 circle.
Is the 180 a new acquisition or did it work earlier on the Z? There are a lot of variations of the CZJ 180, but they all seem to work, with an adapter, on Pentax 645. RDenney uses one on his Z. My P6 adapter is also finicky.

Thanks,
barondla
06-04-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is the 180 a new acquisition or did it work earlier on the Z? There are a lot of variations of the CZJ 180, but they all seem to work, with an adapter, on Pentax 645. RDenney uses one on his Z. My P6 adapter is also finicky.

Thanks,
barondla
I have had several different 180s, and none of them have previously caused any trouble on the D or Z. I do not think it can be the lens as it has no electronic or even physical connection with the camera except through the adapter which is supposed to provide only a physical connection to the camera. I suspect the adapter may be shorting out a contact in the 645Z mount. I have adapters for each of my Pentacon lenses, and each adapter resides permanently on one specific lens (partly because they are hard to remove). I intend to remove the adapter that is now on the 180 and try a different one.