Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1.4 teleconverter with 645 macro lenses?

The Pentax 1.4 converter fits and works well with the A 120 macro lens. Does it fit the FA120 or DFA 90 macro lenses?

Thanks,

barondla

06-16-2021, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #2

Hello ! Check on this page:
HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW / Converter / AF Lens Adapter / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 06-16-21 at 12:09 AM ----------

At the begining of page you will find this:
"*When this converter is mounted between a 35mm full-frame SLR camera body and a D FA-series lens, the image size is automatically cropped to the APS-C format."
06-16-2021, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Does it fit the FA120 or DFA 90 macro lenses?
The 645 1.4X converter fits the FA 120 mm f/4 MACRO. As for the DFA 90 mm f/2.8, maybe Mike Oria could tell you.

Regards

QuoteOriginally posted by saionu Quote
Hello ! Check on this page:HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW / Converter / AF Lens Adapter / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING---------- Post added 06-16-21 at 12:09 AM ----------At the begining of page you will find this:"*When this converter is mounted between a 35mm full-frame SLR camera body and a D FA-series lens, the image size is automatically cropped to the APS-C format."
We are talking about medium-format lenses and converters, not K mounts and APS-C.
06-16-2021, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 120, yes, but I don't know about the 90 - I haven't tried this and don't think it is compatible..
Info here:
Rear Converter-A 645 1.4X Reviews - Pentax 645 Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

06-16-2021, 07:51 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You guys keep making me mess with my camera stuff instead of addressing my first love, dealing with household chores.

The 1.4X fits the 120mm FA but NOT the 90mm. On the 90 the structures overlap. On the 120 the aperture levers are carried across, but only 3 electrical connections. (The 120 has 7.)
06-16-2021, 07:53 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
You guys keep making me mess with my camera stuff instead of addressing my first love, dealing with household chores.
I know the feeling. Words to live by.
06-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
The 645 1.4X converter fits the FA 120 mm f/4 MACRO. As for the DFA 90 mm f/2.8, maybe Mike Oria could tell you.

Regards

We are talking about medium-format lenses and converters, not K mounts and APS-C.
Thank you. Good to know the converter works on the macro. Knew the optics of the A 120 and FA were the same. The mechanicals are obviously different for AF.

---------- Post added 06-16-21 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
The 120, yes, but I don't know about the 90 - I haven't tried this and don't think it is compatible..
Info here:
Rear Converter-A 645 1.4X Reviews - Pentax 645 Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Thanks for the info. Glad the converter works on the FA 120.

---------- Post added 06-16-21 at 01:02 PM ----------

The 1.4X fits the 120mm FA but NOT the 90mm. On the 90 the structures overlap. On the 120 the aperture levers are carried across, but only 3 electrical connections. (The 120 has 7.)
Sorry for taking you away from the household chores. A shame the 90 is incompatible with the 1.4x rear converter. Do you happen to have the Pentax 2x rear teleconverter? Obviously it woul fit. Just wondering how it would do optically? Especially for macro.

Thanks everyone,
barondla

06-16-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a copy of the 645 2X converter and I must tell you "it is a joke". It produces fuzzy pictures and is "dismal" in performance. Maybe I fell on a poor copy, but it sells for peanuts used on eBay or elsewhere and it is not worth a dime IMHO.

Regards
06-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... A shame the 90 is incompatible with the 1.4x rear converter. Do you happen to have the Pentax 2x rear teleconverter? Obviously it woul fit. Just wondering how it would do optically? Especially for macro. ...
I don't. Would you consider two 1.4X in series? I think for macro the extenders would be appropriate.
06-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't. Would you consider two 1.4X in series? I think for macro the extenders would be appropriate.
Don't think two 1.4x converters will mount together. It is unfortunate an extension tube won't fit on the front of the 1.4 converter. If it fit, the smallest tube would allow mounting two 1.4 converters together. Would also allow 1.4 converter on 90 macro and other lenses with insufficient mechanical clearance.

Thanks,

barondla ( always trying to use parts together in strange ways)
06-17-2021, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't think two 1.4x converters will mount together. It is unfortunate an extension tube won't fit on the front of the 1.4 converter. If it fit, the smallest tube would allow mounting two 1.4 converters together. Would also allow 1.4 converter on 90 macro and other lenses with insufficient mechanical clearance.

Thanks,

barondla ( always trying to use parts together in strange ways)
For the curious, the incompatibility between the 1.4X converter and the extension tubes is due to the tubes containing a rectangular 'mask' that interferes.

For the case of the 1.4X teleconverter mating to another, the distance from the most protruding metal at the front of the 1.4X teleconverter to the electrical pin flange is 11 mm, while the distance at the back from flange to glass is only about 8 mm.

Richard L.'s experience with the 2X differs from that of the single reviewer in the lens reviews section. Are there a preponderance of reviews elsewhere trashing this device?
06-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For the curious, the incompatibility between the 1.4X converter and the extension tubes is due to the tubes containing a rectangular 'mask' that interferes.

For the case of the 1.4X teleconverter mating to another, the distance from the most protruding metal at the front of the 1.4X teleconverter to the electrical pin flange is 11 mm, while the distance at the back from flange to glass is only about 8 mm.

Richard L.'s experience with the 2X differs from that of the single reviewer in the lens reviews section. Are there a preponderance of reviews elsewhere trashing this device?
I've considered sacrificing a small tube to make it compatible with the 1.4 teleconverter and lenses with shallow clearance. Unfortunately the masks also contain electrical contacts. Have to think about that.

Thanks,
barondla
06-17-2021, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two 1.4 Teleconverters do fit together.

I also had a bad experience with the 2x teleconverters until one day I accidentally took a picture wide open instead of stopping down to my usual f8. The picture was surprisingly better than stopped down. I still need to do more tests and verify, but that day was a surprise to me.

My guess is that the combination of amplifying the lens' shortcomings, the tc shortcomings, and the shift of f stop beyond the sweet spot combines into a very much not sharp picture. Opening the lens to its maximum at least keeps it closer to the sweet spot.
06-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I also had a bad experience with the 2x teleconverters until one day I accidentally took a picture wide open instead of stopping down to my usual f8. The picture was surprisingly better than stopped down. I still need to do more tests and verify, but that day was a surprise to me.My guess is that the combination of amplifying the lens' shortcomings, the tc shortcomings, and the shift of f stop beyond the sweet spot combines into a very much not sharp picture. Opening the lens to its maximum at least keeps it closer to the sweet spot.
Good to know, Theuns. I always close my apertures somewhat so I will give it a try at various "larger" apertures. Maybe I missed the sweet spot completely without knowing. Now, trying to find it in my stuff ...

Best Regards
06-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Two 1.4 Teleconverters do fit together.

I also had a bad experience with the 2x teleconverters until one day I accidentally took a picture wide open instead of stopping down to my usual f8. The picture was surprisingly better than stopped down. I still need to do more tests and verify, but that day was a surprise to me.

My guess is that the combination of amplifying the lens' shortcomings, the tc shortcomings, and the shift of f stop beyond the sweet spot combines into a very much not sharp picture. Opening the lens to its maximum at least keeps it closer to the sweet spot.
Surprised to learn two converters fit together. Would be interesting to compare two 1.4 vs the 2x. Suspect the 2x should win vs twice as many optical elements.

Funny you mention shooting the 2x lens combo wide open. I bought a 2x at an incredible price from Japan. Slapped it on the FA 400 and was underwhelmed. To be fair the tripod needed to be bigger and there was some wind. But still, pretty soft

A couple of days ago I put the 2x on the 645 A 120 macro to get greater working distance and magnification. Bug moved on and spoiled the shot. The corn field was nicely lit and I took a non macro shot. Amazed how sharp the 120 macro and 2x looked. Didn't shoot wide open. It was F6.7. This 2x requires more investigation. Think you may be correct. Perhaps diffraction plays a big roll. Not knocking the 2x yet.

Thanks,
barondla