Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
28-45mm opinions

So my next debate is a 28-45mm. I've got a 25mm & 55mm but nothing in between. I've found myself in a few situations I wish I would have had something in between. Ironically I just sold a 35mm about a month ago that I haven't used hardly. Recently bought some new K-1 glass so not sure I can justify it right now and only if I found one cheap enough (around $2000-$2200) and sold the 25mm. Please talk me out of this. There is one on ebay for $2150 which is about $1000 cheaper than I've normally seen.

Last edited by cdd29; 07-06-2021 at 12:35 PM.
07-06-2021, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We are talking about 645 lenses right?

I own the 28-45, I also own the 35 and an A 45 as well. I wish, wish, wish, I owned the 25 too as there is a significant gap between 25mm and 28mm IMHO. That said, since getting the 28-45, I haven't found any use for the A45, and although I usually carry the 35, I have to force myself to use it as the 28-45 just does so much good stuff. For me, for my landscape work, the 28-45 even with all of it's weight, is indispensable. Can't talk you out of it, but would rather talk you into it. Even with the 28-45, you my rue the day you let that 25 go...
07-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The 28-45 is outstanding. Once in awhile you can find one for around 2k so that's a great price. It is also one of only two lenses with in-lens SR (the other being the 90mm macro) which opens up lots of opportunities.

But the 25mm is also excellent. It would be much harder to trade one for the other - as some would say, "why not both"?! (cost being a key factor)
07-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
The 28-45 is outstanding. Once in awhile you can find one for around 2k so that's a great price.
KEH had one in excellent condition around Black Friday when they were offering 10% off, so I got mine for under $1900

07-06-2021, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
So my next debate is a 28-45mm. I've got a 25mm & 55mm but nothing in between. I've found myself in a few situations I wish I would have had something in between. Ironically I just sold a 35mm about a month ago that I haven't used hardly. Recently bought some new K-1 glass so not sure I can justify it right now and only if I found one cheap enough (around $2000-$2200) and sold the 25mm. Please talk me out of this. There is one on ebay for $2150 which is about $1000 cheaper than I've normally seen.
Don't do it. The 25 is much harder to replace than a still manufactured 28-45. Buy a cheap A 35 to tide you over until you can get the 28-45. Or find the 33-45 zoom.

Thanks,

barondla
07-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 25mm DFA and the 28-45mm. On one trip I took the 25mm because it is a lot lighter than the 28-45. The 25mm is an excellent lens but it is a prime and to narrow the frame on a wide angle image is only practical with a different focal length (or crop of course). With say a 50mm lens you can use a "poor-man's" zoom by walking forwards or backwards to change the composition.

I often think to swap out the 28-45 for the 35mm, which would then give me sufficient coverage with 25mm and 35mm and my other lenses already cover from 45mm upwards. The hassle would be to change lenses all the time. Plus the weight of the two lenses (25 and 35) combined is slightly more than the 28-45. Plus you have to make space to pack two lenses instead of one.

So every time I go through this swapping debate with myself, I end up staying with the 28-45. Personally I do not find the difference in coverage between the 25 and 28-45@28 to be enough to be a factor in my evaluation. The extra coverage is nominal (82 degrees H vs 76 degrees H), but that is in my observation based on my style and the situations wherein I reach for the wide angle.

My recommendation is that as long as we do not have a 645 full frame camera, the 28-45 would be an excellent addition to anybody's lens kit.

If the lens works in the full frame version (one day in a hypothetical future) then I will definitely hang on to it. If they ever issue an update to the 28-45 without the stabilization I'll grab that, it should be significantly smaller and lighter. Since I mostly shoot handheld the weight of a lens should balance the camera, but in the case of the 28-45 I find it is on the edge of throwing out the balance. In my situation I don't really need stabilization on a wide angle lens, at least not the kind of stabilization that I may need, for that a tripod would be more appropriate.
07-06-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kinda thinking the 33-55 might be a happy medium. Still get to keep the 25 (really like that lens and want to keep but would need to sell to fund 28-45). Can't do anything until my war with Amazon is over. I bought some stuff I didn't like and they're jerking me around on a refund. Long story.

07-07-2021, 02:28 PM - 3 Likes   #8

The 28-45 is the best wide angle zoom ever made for a DSLR camera. It is the ultimate imaging solution for a landscape photographer and the one lens I wouldn't be without.

Life with mine has been amazing.

07-07-2021, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a really hard question to answer because there are strong arguments in favour of having the 25 and the 28-45. I am lucky enough to have both... I'd say that, overall, the 28-45 is optically better (rendering it as good as, or better than, any of the primes that overlap with its focal length range) and, of course, it's much more flexible being a zoom (I don't care much about image stabilisation, but it's definitely a plus for some). On the other hand, there are times when the extra 3mm of coverage provided by the 25 is important; there have been shots I would not have got to my satisfaction had I only had the 28-45 rather than the 25. The 25 is also lighter, smaller and half a stop faster. Conversely, it's difficult to use external filters with the 25 (it requires a custom solution) where as the 28-45 is much easier in this regard.

If you're forced to choose, only you can decide which of these criteria matter most to you. I seems to me that you "need" both, but of course it's expensive to do that...

One thing I will predict, if you get rid of the 25, is that you will want it back :-)
07-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Want to make it clear I'm not arguing against having the 28-45. I would hold on to the 25, which is harder to find, and add the 28-45 when possible. You will want both, so no reason to get rid of one to get the other.

The filter availability is a wash to me. A custom filter adapter may have to to be diy'd for the 25 to match the 28-45. This can be done. The 28-45 cannot take drop in filters mid lens. Those 40.5mm filters are a joy to purchase. Already have 3 IR, a polarizer, plus 6 and 10 stop ND filters. That gets expensive in 82mm.

Thanks,

barondla
07-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Want to make it clear I'm not arguing against having the 28-45. I would hold on to the 25, which is harder to find, and add the 28-45 when possible. You will want both, so no reason to get rid of one to get the other.

The filter availability is a wash to me. A custom filter adapter may have to to be diy'd for the 25 to match the 28-45. This can be done. The 28-45 cannot take drop in filters mid lens. Those 40.5mm filters are a joy to purchase. Already have 3 IR, a polarizer, plus 6 and 10 stop ND filters. That gets expensive in 82mm.

Thanks,

barondla
You do have to take care that the drop in filters edging it not to wide for the holder to go into the lens.
07-09-2021, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Thanks,

barondla
It does and it doesn't. With the 25mm you are limited to the ND, CPL and IR - but not graduated filters which a lot of us landscapers love to use and require to use. The 645x dynamic range is great but many scenes still can overwhelm even the best DSLR on sale. And yes, I know you can blend but it isn't always feasible, or practical. Sliding on a soft edge filter works so well for a lot of us.

I use a Lee 100MM system - but you can use Kase, Format Hitech etc. Neither are cheap to invest in but buy an adaptor ring, few GNDs and the expensive CPL and you can use it on any lens from any maker. I have the 82 mm adaptor ring for the 28-45 and the 77 for the 45-85 and various smaller ones so I can mount the holder to the lens and use the filter accross my entire lens system. I've used Lee filters for nearry 9 years on countless different camera systems. 82 and 77 are the most popular filter thread diametres but 67, 62 and 56 come up. Buy one 105mm CPL and mount it to the expensive filter holder and you are covered no matter what the lens you use.

Word of caution, with longer FL's you don't really need filters and they degrade the IQ. Anything beyond 50mm or 35mm equivilent and I wouldn't use anything.
07-09-2021, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
It does and it doesn't. With the 25mm you are limited to the ND, CPL and IR - but not graduated filters which a lot of us landscapers love to use and require to use. The 645x dynamic range is great but many scenes still can overwhelm even the best DSLR on sale. And yes, I know you can blend but it isn't always feasible, or practical. Sliding on a soft edge filter works so well for a lot of us.

I use a Lee 100MM system - but you can use Kase, Format Hitech etc. Neither are cheap to invest in but buy an adaptor ring, few GNDs and the expensive CPL and you can use it on any lens from any maker. I have the 82 mm adaptor ring for the 28-45 and the 77 for the 45-85 and various smaller ones so I can mount the holder to the lens and use the filter accross my entire lens system. I've used Lee filters for nearry 9 years on countless different camera systems. 82 and 77 are the most popular filter thread diametres but 67, 62 and 56 come up. Buy one 105mm CPL and mount it to the expensive filter holder and you are covered no matter what the lens you use.

Word of caution, with longer FL's you don't really need filters and they degrade the IQ. Anything beyond 50mm or 35mm equivilent and I wouldn't use anything.
All true, but it is pretty simple to diy an adapter so the 25 can take large filters. Here is an excerpt from the Hark Lee DFA 25 review here at PentaxForums:

"(6) Using GND Filters - Custom Filter Holder

Since nobody has manufactured a dedicated filter holder for this lens, I had to fabricate one from a cheap abs pipe and Cokin z-pro filter holder.
At Home Depot, I picked up a small end cap hub that has a slightly smaller diameter than the front section of the lens, cut off the cap part,
converted it into a short cylinder and glued it to the back side of the Cokin Z-pro filter holder. I had to bore the cylinder a bit for a proper
tolerance and lined it with black velvet. FYI, after wasting a fortune on a number of different materials, I settled down on fake adhesive velvet
that I picked up from Daiso. After cutting and grinding, spray painting is a must and now you have a custom filter holder. You can use one 4X6
rectangular filter without vignetting."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-D-FA-645-25mm-F4-Lens.html#ixzz70APWCeX7

Thanks,
barondla
07-12-2021, 03:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

So my next debate is a 28-45mm. I've got a 25mm & 55mm but nothing in between. I've found myself in a few situations I wish I would have had something in between.
Please talk me out of this. There is one on ebay for $2150 which is about $1000 cheaper than I've normally seen.
If you don't buy the 28-45mm for 2200 bucks, you'll save 2200 bucks.
If you buy it, you could sell it later anyway making 1000 bucks profit.

Check out the timeline of 645 lenses (:
Pentax 645-mount lenses timeline - PentaxForums.com
Template:Pentax 645-mount lenses timeline - Wikipedia
07-12-2021, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I've handled blackcloudbrew's and Ed Hursts 28-45's and yes, that is a great option!

But for the cheapskate like me, there is much to be said for the A35 and A45 complementing the DFA55. I went that route before the 28-45 was released, and am still happy with it. I also have the DFA25/4 for the wide end and love that.
So many decisions, and the answer to any "should I...?" in Pentax Forums is always YES.