Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2021, 08:03 PM - 3 Likes   #106
Forum Member

If your company controls both the camera and the lens, then the extra layer of glass may not be a problem. Telephotos with drop-in filters are designed in such a way that the filter glass is part of the optical formula, and using such lenses without a filter can degrade the optical quality. I can suspect that the cover glass in GFX cameras is factored in the lens design, as it sits right behind the rear lens elements.

And even with that cover glass (part of the optical design or not), Fuji lenses perform brilliantly. Fuji wide-angle lenses on GFX is way better than wide-angle lenses on 645z. Now I use my 645z exclusively for long focal lengths. For anything below 110mm, I go to GFX.

07-28-2021, 04:28 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

This isn't a new idea.

Kodak used swappable IR or AA filters, whichever you wanted to use, in front of the sensor on most of their models. Nikon, Canon, Blad, Contax, Mamiya. It worked out fine. On the 135 format bodies, the filter was just behind the lens mount and ahead of the mirror as part of the camera. On the MF models, it was right in front of the sensor as part of the back.

Stan
07-28-2021, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's not only Pentax not putting enough efforts into medium format. IMO, the whole camera industry is running out of steam with their "no-real-advantage mirrorless full frame". The market for medium format digital should be developed further to make those MFD systems more popular and cheaper. Full frame should be presented as entry-level consumer format, and medium format digital should be the serious and professional choice, which in terms of image quality is the pretty much the truth. The best full frame digital systems of today with the best lenses just barely reach the quality are former professional film era quality. The fact that only Fuji seems to invest in this MFD market segment is just non sense.
07-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's not only Pentax not putting enough efforts into medium format. IMO, the whole camera industry is running out of steam with their "no-real-advantage mirrorless full frame". The market for medium format digital should be developed further to make those MFD systems more popular and cheaper. Full frame should be presented as entry-level consumer format, and medium format digital should be the serious and professional choice, which in terms of image quality is the pretty much the truth. The best full frame digital systems of today with the best lenses just barely reach the quality are former professional film era quality. The fact that only Fuji seems to invest in this MFD market segment is just non sense.
That's how it always was. 35mm was always a bit of a toy camera/amateur snappers or journalistic portable format, and medium/large format really quite popular.

Now APSC, and APSC mirrorless fills that, and the bulk of amateur/pro's using full frame - which is just 35mm. In saying that, lens design and sensor resolution of these digital FF camera's exceeds 35mm film- which is really rubbish with nasty colours/grain and nasty low res even from a scan.

07-28-2021, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
Now APSC, and APSC mirrorless fills that, and the bulk of amateur/pro's using full frame - which is just 35mm. In saying that, lens design and sensor resolution of these digital FF camera's exceeds 35mm film- which is really rubbish with nasty colours/grain and nasty low res even from a scan.
Digital apsc now gives what full frame film was capable of. Digital full frame high resolution would roughly match 645 film. But there is no digital system able to match 4x5 low ISO film. Online can be found comparison of digital to 4x5 , it takes to stitch 20 digital frames to match a 4x5, drum scan makes a big difference. Ben horne shows a drum scan of an 8x10 film, to amount 700 Mpixels, no digital can match that in one exposure.
07-28-2021, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #111
Site Supporter

That's how it always was. 35mm was always a bit of a toy camera/amateur snappers or journalistic portable format, and medium/large format really quite popular.

Hilarious.

Also BS.

The whole post.
07-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #112
Site Supporter

Digital apsc now gives what full frame film was capable of. Digital full frame high resolution would roughly match 645 film. But there is no digital system able to match 4x5 low ISO film. Online can be found comparison of digital to 4x5 , it takes to stitch 20 digital frames to match a 4x5, drum scan makes a big difference. Ben horne shows a drum scan of an 8x10 film, to amount 700 Mpixels, no digital can match that in one exposure.
Digital "full frame" can be matched and bested by 35mm with the right gear.

The biggest hurdle is scanners.

As it is the only reason to scan film is to post on the net.

Printing is a whole different matter.

07-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
To be fair, Hasselblad has brought out new MF bodies.

Thanks,
barondla
07-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Thanks,
barondla
Hasselblad = too much hassle
07-29-2021, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Thanks,
barondla
I think they've got a Pixel shift of to create 400mp - which is someway off 700mp cited here for 10x8 film.

Never liked 35mm film, horrible gritty look when printed. Much prefer digital rendering. Now when it comes to larger film formats that is another thing altogether.
07-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #116
Pentaxian

They'd essentially be selling the Pentax name. The 645z is now old enough to need complete redevelopment. At least Fuji and Pentax have developed ecosystems that allow using common components essentially subsidizing MF with APS-c and FF components. I do however have couple of 645 lenses waiting or the Pentax GFX 100s killer. Although I have no idea if the lenses would hold up to a GFX sensor.
07-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think they've got a Pixel shift of to create 400mp - which is someway off 700mp cited here for 10x8 film.

Never liked 35mm film, horrible gritty look when printed. Much prefer digital rendering. Now when it comes to larger film formats that is another thing altogether.
Wasn't comparing Pixel Shift to film. I'm saying Fuji isn't the only one investing in MF. With the right film, say Kodachrome 25, Tech Pan, or Ektar 25 and top notch equipment and skill it can look very good. But, there is very little room for error. Like walking a tightrope.

Thanks,
barondla
07-29-2021, 09:39 PM   #118
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure any company is keen about the financial returns of medium format. Hasselblad couldn't make it work, and got bought by a Chinese drone manufacturer.

Canon, Nikon and Sony have had decades to come out with a medium format camera, and clearly their accountants said there was no satisfactory business case.

Fujifilm's digital cameras may be a drain on their finances, they're pivoting to health care, perhaps their GFX lines have propelled them into it: Fujifilm Pivoting to Healthcare, But Claims it Won't Abandon Photography | PetaPixel

Last edited by clackers; 07-29-2021 at 09:51 PM.
07-30-2021, 03:35 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm not sure any company is keen about the financial returns of medium format. Hasselblad couldn't make it work, and got bought by a Chinese drone manufacturer.
Camera companies aren't the ones to blame. It's the low average expectation of photographers in the digital era that skewed the demand for large format systems. Today, the average camera user is happy with a smartphone because it's free. Back in the days when my grand parents and grand grand parents had their wedding photographed by a professional photographer, they were using large format cameras, they would never have accepted to pay for a picture of the quality that today comes out of an iPhone. In the digital age, people have gotten used to convenience and immediacy over quality, which now forms the new baseline of image quality expectations.
07-30-2021, 04:16 AM   #120
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera companies aren't the ones to blame. It's the low average expectation of photographers in the digital era that skewed the demand for large format systems. Today, the average camera user is happy with a smartphone because it's free. Back in the days when my grand parents and grand grand parents had their wedding photographed by a professional photographer, they were using large format cameras, they would never have accepted to pay for a picture of the quality that today comes out of an iPhone. In the digital age, people have gotten used to convenience and immediacy over quality, which now forms the new baseline of image quality expectations.
Yes, I agree with all of that.

It's a shame.

Like I've said before, a 645Z kit would be my dream system.