Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-16-2021, 05:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
6x7 slide projectors

This may be the wrong forum, please move if appropriate. I've shot a bunch of slide film (Ektachrome and Velvia) on my Pentax 6x7, and I'm wondering how to project them. Are there any projectors that are still available in the used market that can project 6x7 slides? What brands or models should I be looking for?

07-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I looked into this some years ago and found that Linhof were the main option. I did not buy one as they were out of my price range, Even used, they ain't cheap :

Linhof Ideal Format 6x7 6x6 Slide Projector 20cm f/4 Lens Beautiful Shape w/ Case ? LAFLEX Camera Service
07-16-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ektachrome and Velvia aren't the most durable for a projection scenario (they don't have great light fade qualities). Though they can be projected, you take a toll on the color dyes each time. You might be better off if you scanned those slides with a high resolution scanner and then used a UHD projector to project the archived images. Digital images don't fade from projection at all (though your projector light panels take a a slight beating). There might be some tradeoff in dynamic range but today's scanners and projectors are pretty good at preserving great IQ. You can probably get a UHD projector (just coming on the market) for a comparable amount relative to a Linhof. UHD has excellent resolution (though short of what a 6x7 can capture), and for even large screens, people would have to sit close to the screen to even see those differences. Until 8K comes along, you can't do any better.

In any case, this saves the wear and tear on your original slides and you have digital records of them which can theoretically last a loooooooong time

Optoma UHD38 4000 Lumen 4K UHD Home Theater Projector

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-16-2021 at 08:17 AM.
07-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #4

Mamiya ProCabin 67z medium format projector (6x6, 6x7)

Used Mamiya Pro Cabin 67-Z Medium Format Projector - Green Mountain Camera

---------- Post added 16-07-21 at 22:06 ----------

Interesting thread about 6x7 projectors:

6x7 slide projection | Photo.net Photography Forums

07-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might go check with the/a local university science department and see what they have in the way of old projectors. They would probably be glad to give them to you (depending on disposal rules for company/state-owned property!).

I suspect that most/all of their old scientific slide projectors have disappeared, but if not, they might serve your purpose. Back in the 60s/70/80s, every scientist had slides for presentation with their talks. These were somewhere on the order of 3"x4" in size (I have to go find some of my old ones to measure!) that were projected. These were generally just B&W (prepped by the local graphics folks; I think from Polaroid slide film).

As Bob256 hos noted though, the lights in these projectors (very hot incandescent bulbs!) might do a number on your slide film.
07-17-2021, 04:58 AM   #6

Here is another interesting article on analogue film projection, written by the great Estonian photographer Margus Sootla aka Tsiklonaut. He is known for travelling around the world on a motorcycle and photographing with Pentax 6x7 cameras:

...life is - ANALOG - is life...: Analog slide projection
07-17-2021, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a little experience of this, since I used 6x7 slides from 2000 until about 2007. During that time, I bough a Pro-Cabin projector (it was what I could afford at the time) and found it superb to be able to see those lovely, juicy, big slides on a screen. It knocked the socks off any 35mm projection I have seen but still, it was evident to me that there was some quality in the slides (that I could see under inspection with a loupe) that the projection wasn't capturing. It was nice but not perfect. It was so pleasing that for a time, I had the best of my Canon 1DSii files made into 6x7 slides and projected them to provide a better result than any digital projector could provide (at the time anyway - not sure how much projection quality has improved since then).

There were also Goetschmann projectors that looked into at the time, which used Schneider lenses (and also a perspective control adaptor if you wanted to be really precise) which were frankly superb and, unlike the Pro-Cabin, used slide magazines. Seeing a sharp, 6x7 slide on this blew away anything I have ever seen in terms of projection. But at a price I couldn't afford at the time...

I can recommend either option, as your budget permits. IMO, projection is an area where digital has never equalled the best analogue quality, at least in terms of feel. I'd take a projected, large slide over a digi projection any time.

06-07-2022, 12:13 PM   #8

I know Polaroid made a 6x7 Slide projector. I know, because I bought one for $10.