Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #1

Pentax 67 and extension tubes

Hi all,

Have just recently purchased a set of auto extension tubes (1,2,3) from eBay however I just want to confirm the steps I will take to meter and set the aperture with a 105mm f2.4 lens and the TTL prism on a Pentax 67.

Steps to take if I was purely relying on the TTL prism meter:
1. Switch the lever on the lens to 'Manual'
2. Set the preferred aperture, focus, and set the shutter speed
3. Switch the lever back to 'Auto' (thus making the meter read the frame as overexposed as it is reading it as the working aperture 2.4)
4. Shoot

I wanted to clarify this as I'm reading that some people are leaving it on 'manual' and getting underexposed frames.

Thank you!

07-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, the camera is stop-down metering only with the TTL Pentaprism Finder and extension tube. And switching the lens back to AUTO after metering only gives you a brighter viewing area and easier focus; otherwise, it is an optional step. It is normal for the metering needle to rise to the '+' when the camera body is not coupled to an automatic diaphragm lens.

When you attach an extension tube to the camera body, the only interface between the extension tube and the camera body is the aperture lever. When You push the shutter button, the camera body lever moves the lever in the extension tube which thereby moves the aperture lever on the lens. So it doesn't make any sense that the exposure would be different with the lens set in MAN or AUTO with an extension tube unless something is not working correctly like changing the aperture.

You can verify this by inspection:
  • Mount an extension tube and lens.
  • Configure the camera to fire without any film.
  • Put the camera in bulb mode.
  • Set the lens to, say, f8.
  • Set the lens to MAN mode.
  • Press and hold the shutter button.
  • Look at the aperture blades diameter through the lens front element.
  • While still holding the shutter button down, switch the lens to AUTO mode.
The aperture diameter should not change and therefore neither should the exposure (also check the reverse of AUTO/MAN in the procedure).

Also be aware if you are using an external meter, you need to correct the exposure by adding additional exposure which is dependent on the length of the extension tube. For example, you need to add approximately a 1/2-stop of more exposure in the case of the #1 ext tube and 105mm lens. The extension tube manual has a table of exposure correction factors when metering without the TTL Pentaprism.

Last edited by tuco; 07-25-2021 at 12:03 PM.
07-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

These are the steps I use:

Steps to take if I was purely relying on the TTL prism meter:
1. Switch the lever on the lens to 'AUTO'
2. Compose the shot and focus.
3. Switch the lever on the lens to 'MAN'
4. Set the preferred aperture and set the shutter speed as per the TTL meter
5. Shoot

Repeat steps 1-5 per shot.

Note you run into more issues if you are using the P67ii & AE prism and shooting in aperture priority. You MUST leave the DOF lever on the lens in 'MAN' when you press the shutter or your metering will be off.

Phil.
07-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Also, if you ever use the helicoid extension tube, remember that it is not an auto tube and has to be used in the fully manual mode, with metering and shooting stopped down. Using the auto tubes along with the helicoid tubes, one must treat it as if it were just like using the helicoid alone.

07-27-2021, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your helpful replies!