Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Do we need to get ready for a new brand called Fentax?
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Penuji
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
I like Puji
Futax? Penji?

12-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like Puji
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Futax? Penji?
Er, no. They sound like vomit, futility and a kid's doll.

TBH I never much liked the sound of Fuji either, it sounds sticky and the first two letters are an internet abbreviation. Most Japanese camera makers un-japanesed their names a long time ago, at least for sales in the West.
12-07-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter

I want a Pentax/Fuji version of the GRIII, they could name it the Puji Pocket Pal.
12-07-2021, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Er, no. They sound like vomit, futility and a kid's doll.

TBH I never much liked the sound of Fuji either, it sounds sticky and the first two letters are an internet abbreviation. Most Japanese camera makers un-japanesed their names a long time ago, at least for sales in the West.
I guess you don’t like fun either.

12-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I guess you don’t like fun either.
I'm having fun now
12-08-2021, 10:25 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Don't get too excited about Fuji buying Pentax from Ricoh to get their hands on some medical tech. Ricoh does not own that branch of the tree. Hoyah sold it off a long time ago but I don't know to whom.
12-08-2021, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Don't get too excited about Fuji buying Pentax from Ricoh to get their hands on some medical tech. Ricoh does not own that branch of the tree. Hoyah sold it off a long time ago but I don't know to whom.
I read the same yes. I think if Hoya did not destroy the Pentax business model by stripping it apart and selling the pieces, it could have been a more viable business. Maybe some of the medical know-how is still in the Pentax camp, but probably unlikely. People get old, retire and take their skills with them.

Might be a better value fit for Ricoh to buy Fuji. Who knows what the future holds.

12-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I read the same yes. I think if Hoya did not destroy the Pentax business model by stripping it apart and selling the pieces, it could have been a more viable business. Maybe some of the medical know-how is still in the Pentax camp, but probably unlikely. People get old, retire and take their skills with them.

Might be a better value fit for Ricoh to buy Fuji. Who knows what the future holds.
Don't think they are big enough....
12-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #69
Pentaxian

There is a risk that medium format digital cropped simply disappear within the next decade, including Fuji. With image processing improving, the difference between well captured and well processed full frame images and medium format crop image is blurred, a lot of people just go for full frame because of the versatility and lower cost. I don't see medium format crop as a very solid offering due to being so close to FF. Full frame medium format digital would have a much stronger position in the market if it was a bit cheaper than it is now, and because FF MF is roughly 2x larger than FF and with very specific applications. Basically, if you are a Pentax APS user (or a Fuji X user) , the upgrade to 645 (or GF) is worth the money, but if you are a full frame user it is much harder to justify investing in MF crop.
12-10-2021, 01:55 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There is a risk that medium format digital cropped simply disappear within the next decade, including Fuji. With image processing improving, the difference between well captured and well processed full frame images and medium format crop image is blurred, a lot of people just go for full frame because of the versatility and lower cost. I don't see medium format crop as a very solid offering due to being so close to FF. Full frame medium format digital would have a much stronger position in the market if it was a bit cheaper than it is now, and because FF MF is roughly 2x larger than FF and with very specific applications. Basically, if you are a Pentax APS user (or a Fuji X user) , the upgrade to 645 (or GF) is worth the money, but if you are a full frame user it is much harder to justify investing in MF crop.
Pentax crop 645 is indeed in an odd position but that's mainly because size and price is such a step up from FF. With Fuji, Hasselblad etc price and definately not size is not that much of a step up. It also seems that the sensor is becoming a smaller part of the cost. See K-3 III vs K-1, m43 vs FF etc.

These trends to me suggest that crop 645 that come in a small package have small advantages but also small disadvantages compared to FF. In other words the choice is becoming less of an issue and crop 645 may well thrive in the use cases where those advantages matter.

I imagine Pentax is in a more difficult position with crop 645. The camera is large and heavy and really designed for full 645. So full 645 seems like the way to go for Pentax.
12-10-2021, 05:03 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I imagine Pentax is in a more difficult position with crop 645. The camera is large and heavy and really designed for full 645. So full 645 seems like the way to go for Pentax.
I imagine using a full-sized 645 sensor would not increase the camera size. I think the problem is that it would dramatically increase the price, further narrowing the potential market.
12-10-2021, 05:53 AM   #72
Site Supporter

As a side note, the GFX 100s is at #12 over at the "Most Rented New Photo & Video Products of 2021" list on Lensrentals.

Lens Rentals | Blog
12-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I imagine using a full-sized 645 sensor would not increase the camera size. I think the problem is that it would dramatically increase the price, further narrowing the potential market.
You may be right, although for quality people will spend amazing amounts of money, like some Nikon users are willing to pay 16k for a long lens. Some Zeiss lenses with Nikon mounts are 26k.

A lot will depend on the quality of the product, not just the sensor, which as a package has to be superior to FF. And if they can attract FF users to MF quality.
12-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #74
Pentaxian

As a side note, the GFX 100s is at #12 over at the "Most Rented New Photo & Video Products of 2021" list on Lensrentals.
"Most rented" can also mean that it's not worth the cost of full time ownership for many users, cost of rent for occasional use = Ok. The list of most rented doesn't contain Canon most popular models, people just buy and own those models, no need to rent.
12-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #75
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
"Most rented" can also mean that it's not worth the cost of full time ownership for many users, cost of rent for occasional use = Ok. The list of most rented doesn't contain Canon most popular models, people just buy and own those models, no need to rent.
Of course, but it does show that there is a fair amount of interest in Fuji's MF shenanigans.

And in digital MF period, probably a lot more now than when Pentax was the best value in that segment.