Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2021, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is Pentax done in Medium Format?

I've been shooting with the Pentax 645D, then the 645Z exclusively since 2012, but I'm looking very hard at the Fuji GFX 100S for the extra MP, better wide angle options, smaller footprint, and the likelihood of continuing to upgrade their MF mirrorless camera systems. And YES I print very large, sometimes 10'+ and I'm a professional landscape photographer, so it makes sense for me.

Before divorcing all my Pentax camera gear, are we all pretty sure Pentax is done with upgrading their medium format cameras? It would be a shame, because they make some excellent lenses and user-friendly cameras.

08-16-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is hard to say what the future holds for the 645Z, but it is not looking promising. It must be getting hard to justify sticking with a six year old camera. By keeping quiet, Ricoh is not helping.

In your case, it would be worth renting a GFX 100S for a project to see what it brings to the table.

You don't have to switch your lenses over all once if you decide to to take the plunge. Just get one of these bad boys:

Pro Adapter - Pentax 645 Lenses to Fujifilm G-Mount Digital Cameras ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA
08-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Considering there is now a worldwide chip shortage that is getting worse, we may not see much new anything from anybody for a couple years as cars and cellphones and a million other products will probably take precedence...
08-16-2021, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Is Pentax done in Medium Format?
If I remember correctly , you were already looking for higher than 50Mpixels resolution a couple years back because you make big prints and sell them.

Before divorcing all my Pentax camera gear, are we all pretty sure Pentax is done with upgrading their medium format cameras?
I haven't seen any press release from Ricoh Imaging saying they plan to continue or discontinue the 645 product line.

but I'm looking very hard at the Fuji GFX 100S for the extra MP, better wide angle options, smaller footprint, and the likelihood of continuing to upgrade their MF mirrorless camera systems
Looks like the Fuji GFX lineup is for Fuji what the full frame mirrorless lineups are for Canon and Nikon, since Fujifilm have skipped full frame entirely they count of their most wealthy Fuji X users to make the jump to medium format. There are rumors that Fuji are going to release a new upgraded GFX camera around september time frame. If true, that'll be Fuji's fifth medium format camera model.

08-16-2021, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
You don't have to switch your lenses over all once if you decide to to take the plunge. Just get one of these bad boys
That's the plan, at least to start with!

---------- Post added 08-16-21 at 11:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If I remember correctly , you were already looking for higher than 50Mpixels resolution a couple years back because you make big prints and sell them.
Yep, that's me
08-16-2021, 09:44 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Complicating the decision are the design limits of the Fuji versus Pentax MF architectures.

Fuji is stuck with crop-645 (the mount throat is too small for full frame) which will limit Fuji's future upgrades in resolution and IQ.

Pentax could go to full frame 645 because they adapted their 645 film body for digital. Moreover, Sony makes a 150 MP full-frame 645 sensor so that side of the technology stack is available off the shelf.

But it's anyone's guess whether Pentax/Ricoh will actually do this.
08-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Pentax could go to full frame 645 because they adapted their 645 film body for digital
Yeah, but the only modern full frame MF lens is the 25mm D FA (less common version vs. DA), so I highly doubt they'd go FF either, due to needing an almost entirely new [modern] lens line-up.

08-16-2021, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been shooting with the Pentax 645D, then the 645Z exclusively since 2012, but I'm looking very hard at the Fuji GFX 100S for the extra MP, better wide angle options, smaller footprint, and the likelihood of continuing to upgrade their MF mirrorless camera systems. And YES I print very large, sometimes 10'+ and I'm a professional landscape photographer, so it makes sense for me.

Before divorcing all my Pentax camera gear, are we all pretty sure Pentax is done with upgrading their medium format cameras? It would be a shame, because they make some excellent lenses and user-friendly cameras.
We have no guarantees Fujifilm will keep making medium format. The new honcho said they are pivoting to medical. Photography is 13% of their business. It is profitable at the moment and he said they would stick with it. But, many feel the Instax instant cameras & film are the profitable ones.

If I were printing 10' wide, a GFX 100s would be something to consider. Just wouldn't buy the system thinking it will out survive other brands. Hassy might be the most likely to survive. DJI makes a profit in photography and seems to want to be in photography.

Thanks,
barondla
08-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't think a full frame Pentax 645 will ever happen. Those things are just too expensive at $30K+ and the market must be tiny. Only Hasselblad and Phase One are currently playing there - big fish in a small pond.

The Pentax 645 lens mount might be full frame ready but the electronics will have to be re-engineered completely. The R&D costs would be significant, with the ROI outlook very uncertain. As risk averse as Ricoh has proven themselves to be, we know what that means.
08-16-2021, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think a full frame Pentax 645 will ever happen. Those things are just too expensive at $30K+ and the market must be tiny. Only Hasselblad and Phase One are currently playing there - big fish in a small pond.

The Pentax 645 lens mount might be full frame ready but the electronics will have to be re-engineered completely. The R&D costs would be significant, with the ROI outlook very uncertain. As risk averse as Ricoh has proven themselves to be, we know what that means.
Why would the electronics have to be re-engineered completely? Pentax always borrows electronics from a K camera. Drop the K3III circuitry into a new Z and away they go.

Thanks,
barondla
08-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The sheer size of the 150Mp image file needs a big buffer and powerful CPU. The circuitry from the K3 III might not be able to cope.
08-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Ricoh is done with medium format, they just won’t announce it until all the 645Z stock is sold.

I loved the 645Z but if I buy another medium format it will probably be the 100 S. With the ability to adapt Pentax lenses and other brands onto the Fuji with a much smaller body and just all around improvements in sensors and autofocus capabilities it just makes more sense to go with Fuji.

But if I knew I would be using it in a rain forest or a dessert I would definitely go with the 645Z, I think it’s build quality is much better than what Fuji has but for most people use the Fuji is just fine.
08-16-2021, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Considering the time Pentax took bringing the K3 Mk III to market, it might be 2030 before you folks see a new medium format camera (if they have one in the works).
08-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The sheer size of the 150Mp image file needs a big buffer and powerful CPU. The circuitry from the K3 III might not be able to cope.
What about the 100mpx FF sensor used in Hasselblad H6D? Seems a like lot less intensive number crunching.
08-16-2021, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, but the only modern full frame MF lens is the 25mm D FA (less common version vs. DA), so I highly doubt they'd go FF either, due to needing an almost entirely new [modern] lens line-up.
Um, no. Please show us the testing that shows that the Pentax lens lineup is so inadequate that it can't handle a move to FF 645.

There is none. It is probably true (puuuure speculation on my part!) that some of the lenses will not be up to snuff. I think most will be fine or better than fine. Furthermore, perfect is the enemy of the good. I'll take good, thanks.