Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Best autofocus settings for Pentax 645z

I'm a new wedding photographer and have also done a decent amount of wildlife photography with my Pentax 645z. I'm in love with the camera but sometimes struggle to get the focus to lock. A few times at weddings I've had couples pose, the focus give me a beep but then the shutter won't go off for a few seconds. Other times when I look through my cameras I'll find that seemingly *nothing* was fully in focus (I use spot autofocus in the center of the frame)

Am I doing something wrong? I do stay in focus-priority so I know that will cause some delay but it appears I'm sometimes getting the focus and the shutter won't go, or the center of the frame isn't in focus at all at other times.

Just looking for the best settings that work for you all!

09-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmmm....I have not had this problem, but I'm not sure I have the camera in focus priority either. basically, I get a pretty swift focus confirmation with all of my lenses, in AF and manual, and in all but ridiculously dark situations (by that I mean pre dawn with effectively no light at all.).

My settings are pretty vanilla, and I haven't changed them because I've never had to. OTOH, I also shoot mostly stopped down, which you probably are not doing. I'd make sure all of your lenses have been tested and adjusted for front/back focus, BTW.
09-27-2021, 05:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose it depends on the shot you are trying to take and lens you choose - Group shots (the whole wedding party) vs portrait (mother of bride...) vs married couples.
Make a shot list - with a checklist of what needs to be set with what lens.

Go do some practice runs - get some volunteers ;-)
I like the 9 autofocus points when shooting couples, and have set the 4-way controller to allow me to quickly move the autofocus point.

Custom menus

eg Custom Menu settings - have you set menu 15 through 18? eg the AF.S setting to Shutter Priority so you don't miss the shot, even if out of focus?Are you bracketing?
Are you using a tripod? SR off? Remote control?

What about Button Customization - some folks like to have the AF button do the focusing instead of the half-way press of the shutter?

Texandrews makes a good point about adjusting the lenses - Custom Menu C4 24.AF Fine Adjustment

You might also consider turning off things that slow you down - and deal with it in post ;-)
eg set the White Balance instead of AWB;

eg record only DNG, not JPEG
09-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I suppose it depends on the shot you are trying to take and lens you choose - Group shots (the whole wedding party) vs portrait (mother of bride...) vs married couples.
Make a shot list - with a checklist of what needs to be set with what lens.

Go do some practice runs - get some volunteers ;-)
I like the 9 autofocus points when shooting couples, and have set the 4-way controller to allow me to quickly move the autofocus point.

Custom menus

eg Custom Menu settings - have you set menu 15 through 18? eg the AF.S setting to Shutter Priority so you don't miss the shot, even if out of focus?Are you bracketing?
Are you using a tripod? SR off? Remote control?

What about Button Customization - some folks like to have the AF button do the focusing instead of the half-way press of the shutter?

Texandrews makes a good point about adjusting the lenses - Custom Menu C4 24.AF Fine Adjustment

You might also consider turning off things that slow you down - and deal with it in post ;-)
eg set the White Balance instead of AWB;

eg record only DNG, not JPEG
Thank you! I am going to try the fine adjustment on my lenses - haven't done that yet. Also going to switch to back button focusing and try to get used to that.

How did you set up the 4-way dialpad to quickly adjust autofocus point? I haven't been able to find that option

09-30-2021, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chiron2411 Quote
Thank you! I am going to try the fine adjustment on my lenses - haven't done that yet. Also going to switch to back button focusing and try to get used to that.
You're welcome.
I use Focus Tune to help with fine adjustment.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chiron2411 Quote
How did you set up the 4-way dialpad to quickly adjust autofocus point? I haven't been able to find that option
[AF Area] is the secret to everything!
Press and hold it.
You will see the display switch, showing you to use the back dial.
Rotate the back dial to the mode you want. Eg SEL with the 1 red dot.
Then the 4-way buttons will let you move the red dot one around.

Also, the button with the 4 arrows (it's just down and left from the 4 way buttons) will toggle the operation between moving focus point and normal 4-way buttons.

It's worth investing sometime to review the manual on how this works, and to practice with it.

Good luck!