Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2021, 06:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax 645 longevity

Hi Everyone.

I have been shooting digital exclusively since I bought my *ist D when it first came out in 2003 but I have been thinking lately about getting back into some film photography. I have a Pentax MX (which I bought new in 1979!) and a Pentax Z1 but I’m thinking if I’m going to bother with film these days it needs to be medium format. My dad had a Yashica MAT 124G years ago, which I used to borrow and recently looking at some photos from it, I was really impressed. However, I have been thinking about a Pentax 645. I have seen some around for a pretty reasonable price but my question is, considering their age, how reliable are their electronics going to be.

Anyway, I would be interested in any thoughts anyone has…

10-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both a Yashica 635 TLR and an original Pentax 645 and use them both. Both are built like tanks, with the 645 conceived to be put through its paces by wedding photographers and the like. Don’t expect to be discreet with the 645, as the camera is big and the shutter sound is very loud.

I’m happy to own mine.
10-05-2021, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
I have been thinking about a Pentax 645. I have seen some around for a pretty reasonable price but my question is, considering their age, how reliable are their electronics going to be.
I have owned and used my Pentax 645 since 1986 and acquired a 645N around 2010. It was my personal camera for daily work in Los Angeles for five years, then on travels to Mexico, Egypt, and France. I then moved to Switzerland, back to California, and have now been in Hawaii since 1996.

It has seen hot dusty deserts, freezing cold alps, and now humid and wet tropics. The electronics has not skipped a beat. However, it is NOT weather sealed and the most problematic reliability issue is the power supply. Mine will usually stall when going through sudden temperature and humidity changes.

Indoors it's fine. Outdoors it's fine. Sudden and extreme transitions and I'm temporarily disabled anywhere from an hour to half a day.

The two things that I know of that can fail are the battery holder (broken plastic or corroded contacts) and I've known other 645 owners that had a bad film advance gear.

As a photo teacher that sees over 200 SLR cameras each year, I have seen certain makes and models that consistently have bad electronics; the 645 is NOT one of them.
10-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great, thanks for your replies so far. Just for your info, it seems, around here at least, that I can get a 645 cheaper than the Yashica. And where I live sudden temperature changes won’t be a problem.

Any other thoughts would be most appreciated.

10-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 635 Yashica and 645 Pentax are like apples and bananas; they are not comparable at all, IMO.

Format sizes are different, Pentax has interchangeable lenses, and the Yashica is a totally manual TLR.

Which one to buy/use should depend totally on what you want to do with it- not relative price. The 635 is a 2 1/4" square format with waist level finder and fixed 80mm lens; unless you have the 35mm kit which is/was available.
I believe the 635 is actually more of a collector item now and thus sought after and relatively expensive.

The Pentax 645 is a single lens reflex, with a full range of high quality interchangeable leness, with electronics, professional film camera; and a bargain at todays prices - if you want to shoot its format.
10-05-2021, 11:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am not considering buying a Yashica TLR. I was just saying I was recently looking at some photos I had taken with my dad’s many years ago. I am considering buying a Pentax 645 but just questioning how robust the electronics will be into the future.
10-06-2021, 05:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
I am not considering buying a Yashica TLR. I was just saying I was recently looking at some photos I had taken with my dad’s many years ago. I am considering buying a Pentax 645 but just questioning how robust the electronics will be into the future.
Sorry, the discussion and price comparison with the Yashica misled me!

The number of 645 cameras for sale online without problems would indicate that the camera is pretty robust- I don't recall seeing any offered with problems or for "parts".

12-18-2021, 08:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Any advice on how much I should pay (preferably in A$) for a mint 645, 645N or 645NII?
12-19-2021, 06:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original Pentax 645 is the most reliable camera Pentax have ever made according to a Pentax repair guy......
12-20-2021, 11:30 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The original Pentax 645 is the most reliable camera Pentax have ever made according to a Pentax repair guy......

I've been shooting constantly 2-3 rolls per month since 1994 with a 645 and its still in excellent working condition.
It's build like a tank.
12-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI
I use 2 645nii and they are still reliable and rugged. I keep one loaded with black and white film and the other with color. The few added features of the nii are nice and I find that I use them. Both of mine were bought used from Japan and were reasonably priced. I have a 645z also and enjoy that. I have a Quantum turbo 2 battery pack that I use with flashes and have cords that let me use it with my 645z and K S2. I use the Everyready lithium batteries in the nii to reduce battery changes and I have the external battery pack for cold weather or when doing a long photoshoot. The nii pictures are always amazing, typical of Pentax and using medium format. Enjoy the 645 when you get it. You will not be disappointed.
12-23-2021, 01:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies everyone. I appreciate it.
12-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I'm not surprised, it's built like a tank and more sturdy than the 645N (the shutterspeed button is prone to falling off). That said, every camera has its achilles heel. I believe it's the battery grip for the 645.
A purely mechanical camera like a TLR can almost always be repaired and won't be hurt by temperature or moisture changes.
Others may vary.
12-25-2021, 04:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just one main area of concern with the 645 - it's with the battery holder. The thing gets brittle over time, and once broken you soon find replacements are not easy to find, and usually expensive. There's a remote battery attachment that's more widely available (to keep in a warm pocket in winter), but the regular item may take some patience. One bit of advice is to use Energizer AA Lithiums as they are slightly thinner than other AA's.

Otherwise, excellent and reliable.
12-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Just one main area of concern with the 645 - it's with the battery holder.
I guess if you got one with a good battery holder you could get a 3D printed copy made. Would that be a possibility?