Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #46
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this FA 645 45/2.8 was purchased here on the Marketplace - it should be a good copy, but we'll wait until this coming weekend to find out....

06-26-2022, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #47
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

update...

spent the day yesterday shooting nothing but the 645D - thoroughly enjoyable....

it's just a larger DSLR, a bit slower in process and that suits me....
06-28-2022, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #48
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

another day spent with the 645D in hand, prowling around in town, shooting things that piqued my interests....

love it....

I have two more FA 645 lenses due in this week (150/2.8 + 80-160/4.5) and I think that should round out my options for this camera system....
06-29-2022, 05:35 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

All Right! I think you will like the 80-160.

'Im headed to an antique farm show soon (Denton, NC) and think I'll use the P645D and 45-85 zoom. See what it is like to carry the larger (than my Nikon Df) camera around for a day. I am wondering about this usability concept of a P645Z as an overall camera, as opposed to the usual way I shoot with it on a tripod. I know the Z has a greater useful light range than the D and could do most of what the Df does but with far greater resolution.

Ought to be an interesting day.

Stan

06-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #50
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by w2ck Quote
Hi,

'Im headed to an antique farm show soon (Denton, NC) and think I'll use the P645D and 45-85 zoom. See what it is like to carry the larger (than my Nikon Df) camera around for a day. I am wondering about this usability concept of a P645Z as an overall camera, as opposed to the usual way I shoot with it on a tripod. I know the Z has a greater useful light range than the D and could do most of what the Df does but with far greater resolution.

Stan

that's exactly the way I look at it - unless I run into to low-light situations, the 645D should be all the camera I need....
07-03-2022, 06:27 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Hi,

Stan
Hi,

We went yesterday. I got to thinking about it. These shows pack the machines in on top of each other. As such, the shots aren't really good for producing prints. I do that sometimes, but usually go to someone's farm and get the subject machine out by itself. So, that lends itself to medium format. But, at the shows, not so much. Plus, I have all manner of shots taken with small format at these shows. So, that's what I brought in case there was something I hadn't seen before. There wasn't. It was far better to carry the Df around and shoot nothing than the P645D.

Stan
07-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

We went yesterday. I got to thinking about it. These shows pack the machines in on top of each other. As such, the shots aren't really good for producing prints. I do that sometimes, but usually go to someone's farm and get the subject machine out by itself. So, that lends itself to medium format. But, at the shows, not so much. Plus, I have all manner of shots taken with small format at these shows. So, that's what I brought in case there was something I hadn't seen before. There wasn't. It was far better to carry the Df around and shoot nothing than the P645D.

Stan
What about a tight detail shot like these? Can you get advantage using mf in this type of shot at those shows?

IMGP4375_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

DSC01048_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

07-04-2022, 06:00 AM - 3 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

Hi,

Not really. You'd see a bunch of rough casting detail which would mean little. Actually, the 16 MP of the Df, with the entire machine in the frame, yields more detail than one really needs. These parts are pretty big. A small bolt is larger than the largest bolt on a motorcycle, for example. The things those of us who re-do this form of Old Iron want to see are things like the differences between fuel filters used across the production life of a given model.

One thing I was looking at was the type of front wheel weight used on the wheel style of my 1950 Model M. That had a production life from 1947 to 1954 and used two different front wheels. The older was an integral cast iron and hub design, which is what I have. The newer was a separate steel hub and pressed steel wheel. And the later model 40 used what the later M had, but the early M used what came off the predecessor model L.

Confused? Yep. This is the way this goes. And I want wheel weights for my M, and they are at the swap meets, but I need to know which is for what. And I saw what I need on an L and it looks different enough from the later one that I don't even need a pic. But I took one - with the cell phone and not the Df. That way it's right there and always with me as I go shopping. Oh, I could have used the Df then copied it to the phone after I processed the Raw file on the PC. Too much like work!

And, it'd be difficult to get your type of shots as the places one can stand at these shows is very limited. They leave barely enough room to walk between machines. Kind of difficult to use MF on a monopod (impossible with a tripod), so easier to handhold a small format and even easier to use the cell phone.

Yeah, I said I took no shots, but that was with the Df and I wasn't counting the one cell phone shot of a wheel weight.

Here is shot of my equiupment lined up behind the barn. They are further apart than at a show. I wanted to angle and stagger them for this shot. A family portrait.

The one on the far left is my M. The 420c is essentially the same, but 8 years newer. And a crawler. The other two are also essentially the same. A 78 crawler and a 08 wheel tractor with loader. My collection is small, but all have uses on the farm. The left two are 2-cyl gas and the right two are 3-cyl Diesel.

Anyway, this is where details change, as they keep being made over the years (decades). And in a long shot like this is where MF gets the details which SF would miss.

And, you can see where the M has the wheel weights on the back but not the front. And it's a little bit too front end light with the seeder/spreader (not on in this shot). Implements come on and off depending on what I'm using it for. in this shot, it has the disc hillers on for making my crop rows for planting. Other things which go on are a light back blade and a stone rake (for working on my gravel farm roads). But, it's the 300 pound capacity hopper of the spreader that lightens the front end. So I want some front wheel weights.

Anyway, back to detail shots, the idea here is to figure out what is supposed to go on a machine when the original is missing (usually replaced with something which works but is pretty far from correct).

In the future, any shots I take of equipment for anyone will be with the 6454D rather than the Df. But the ones at shows where they are all packed together will be with the Df.

And, this decision doesn't change my wanting a 645Z. I still want that CMOS imager.

Stan
07-23-2022, 03:55 PM - 4 Likes   #54
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

still loving this camera

07-25-2022, 08:20 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw an old guy doing such free-hand "detailing" on a Chip Foose TV program, is it possible ?

Regards