Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #1

Pentax 67 Brown Chain -- Rust, Repaired?

Hi all, I registered here just to ask this question because I could not find an answer after searching.

I'm looking at buying a 67 from Japan and a few of them that I've seen now, which are otherwise is extremely good condition have a partially brown chain. I was under the impression that the chains were silver colored. Is what I'm looking at here rust or corrosion or a replaced/repaired chain? In two specific cases, the cameras look otherwise perfect and in almost like-new condition.

I've attached a photo of one example of this. You can see that the first visible link before the chain goes into the body is silver and then the rest of it is brown.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Attached Images

10-07-2021, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked the chain on mine - a 6x7 MLU. The chain has a silvery surface - like a necklace. But I would not worry. The chain on your camera looks slightly oxidized, but not rusty.as such. I don't think it is any weaker than it should be. Your camera seems to be in fine nick.

But remember that any time you take off the metered prism - if that is what you have - and put it on again, you should also take off the lens and put it back on afterwards, or you may damage the chain. For the aperture system to engage properly, the lens should be put on last before you try to alter the aperture on the lens.
10-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had to edit my response after examining your photo of the chain at a much higher magnification (20x), adjusting the photo for clarity and exposure.

The surface of the chain appears to be tarnished through age/exposure.
I don't think it is rust, nor a repaired chain. This discolouration would not affect its operation. Chains in cameras of very good condition are very similar in their presentation, ranging from bright bronze or gold across their length to the dull brownish colour shown in your image; replacement chains (from c. 1992 to 1993) were sometimes silver, or taken from other 67 / 6x7 bodies. DIY repairers often used commonly available jewellery chain, or for more reliable results, tiger-tail multistrand beading wire (similar to what the Olympus OM4 used for its meter coupling) — significantly stronger than these admittedly weak chains that do not take kindly to rough use.

Ensure you follow prism/lens removal/replacement protocol to avoid stretching and by association, breakage. The camera is not unusable in the event of chain breakage, but the operational workaround is annoying.

ADVISORY: Pentax 6x7, 67 METER COUPLING CHAIN AND TTL METER PRISM - PentaxForums.com

Garyh

Last edited by Silent Street; 10-08-2021 at 01:44 AM.
10-08-2021, 09:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
Okay, really appreciate you taking a look at this and your notes. I know the chain is a weak point in the camera if treated poorly, which I why I'm putting extra attention on it. Sounds like this brown/copper color is nothing to worry about however. Thank you!