Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 6x7 - The Diopter of Despair

Step One - Order variable diopter eyepiece from eBay. Receive one intended for Leica cameras which doesn't fit.

Step Two - Order Nikon eye piece from eBay - wait weeks. Discover you've ordered the wrong diopter.

Step Three - Order another one, right diopter this time, wait weeks for it to arrive. Hurrah ! It's perfect. Discover despite being same product as previous one it has a shallower thread and keeps falling out.

Step Four - Have bright idea of taking lens out of latest one and replacing it in the standard eyepiece. Rejoice at sense of achievement in thinking of this great idea.

Step Five - Discover that you don't need to apply much pressure to crack new eyepiece lens.

Step Five - Descend into pit of despair.

Anyone found a source for just the replacement lens element ?

03-09-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Step seven (I think you did 5 twice?) - order new eyeball(s) !?
03-09-2022, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Step seven (I think you did 5 twice?) - order new eyeball(s) !?
Might be cheaper getting my eyes lasered. It'll work out cheaper.
03-10-2022, 07:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How painful. My sympathies.

03-10-2022, 07:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
Step One - Order variable diopter eyepiece from eBay. Receive one intended for Leica cameras which doesn't fit.

Step Two - Order Nikon eye piece from eBay - wait weeks. Discover you've ordered the wrong diopter.

Step Three - Order another one, right diopter this time, wait weeks for it to arrive. Hurrah ! It's perfect. Discover despite being same product as previous one it has a shallower thread and keeps falling out.

Step Four - Have bright idea of taking lens out of latest one and replacing it in the standard eyepiece. Rejoice at sense of achievement in thinking of this great idea.

Step Five - Discover that you don't need to apply much pressure to crack new eyepiece lens.

Step Five - Descend into pit of despair.

Anyone found a source for just the replacement lens element ?
You can order a lens of the requested diopter power cut to size by an optician. Normally, any skilled optician should be able to custom cut a lens so it can be mounted inside your eyepiece.

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
You can order a lens of the requested diopter power cut to size by an optician. Normally, any skilled optician should be able to custom cut a lens so it can be mounted inside your eyepiece.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Not mine ! Can't say I've tried any other optician . Just ordered yet another this time from B&H for $24 which I suspect is cheaper than having one hand cut...
03-11-2022, 06:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
Not mine ! Can't say I've tried any other optician . Just ordered yet another this time from B&H for $24 which I suspect is cheaper than having one hand cut...
There may still be opticians about who care more for the challenge than the process. Opticians providing custom swimming google correction may be examples. They would likely still have old-time lens cutting equipment. Most modern optician establishments carry lines of frames that lens companies such as Fuji cut plastic to fit from molded plastic optical blanks having various combinations of prism, sphere, and cylinder powers, and apply AR coatings to order.

03-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

For future reference for anyone looking for similar lenses to what you want, there is always Edmund Optics. They have a huge supply of various lenses. I bought a few items from them many years ago.Optical Lenses | Achromatic Lenses | Edmund Optics
03-20-2022, 09:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
A Circle of Confusion

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
For future reference for anyone looking for similar lenses to what you want, there is always Edmund Optics. They have a huge supply of various lenses. I bought a few items from them many years ago.Optical Lenses | Achromatic Lenses | Edmund Optics
I had a look on there but my failure to pay attention while studying optics in my physics classes meant I couldn't understand what I needed when I looked on their site. And they never replied to my email ...

In the end I bought this one from B&H and it works fine and it fits too. No plans to attempt to remove lens from the metal collar this time.

I would still like to get the lens on it's own so I can replaced the current one in the screw in part of the V. I just need to work out what diopter it really is. It say +1 dioptre on the box but I think that is based on the presumption that the VF is by default -1 dioptre. As my RX is +2.5 that sounds about right. Certainly works OK
03-21-2022, 10:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In case this helps, the diopter is the inverse of the focal length in meters. So if the relaxed eye is focused at one meter, then -1 diopter is needed to focus at infinity with the relaxed eye. (Due to both accommodation and depth of field, persons with 20/20 vision can see to infinity fine. They won't notice that their eye muscles are not relaxed when they do so.) To look at 10 cm requires 10 diopters relative to infinity (focal length 10 cm), or 9 from relaxed (focal length 11.1 cm). Usually, myopes (near-sighted) require negative diopter lenses, and presbyopes (far-sighted) positive diopter lenses to see well to infinity.

Now at Edmonds there are also options among convex-convex, planar-convex, concave-convex with the same focal length, and these have different benefits in secondary focusing characteristics that I'm not competent to describe.