Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edmunds Quote
Yep, this is "the look". Nice shot!
Not happening on a 645Z. Its a travesty that Pentax only released f/2.8 lenses for the 645Z, because it renders skin tones sooo nicely.
Hah. Thanks. That was just a rather impromptu shot to give me something new to scan at the time.

Yeah, "the look". It's the 105's big trick... it's a good one, and the one that so many see and purchase the lens for (I was not immune).
And to its credit, there's nothing quite like it on that format anywhere to be sure.

Marcus Ubungen I know leans on it heavily in his (very excellent) work.
His IG feed is filled with it... Marcus Ubungen on Instagram

04-22-2022, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Yeah, love those shots in that feed. I think 6x6 and 6x7 offer the best aspect ratios for photographing people, especially full body. I think that's another reason it works sooo well.

Another reason we see so many full body portraits with this lens is the disadvantage of shooting portraits with 6x7. The moment you get close, you gotta stop down or bugger all is in focus. But, you are limited by the ISO of chosen film. So now you're shooting ISO400 and f/4.0 where you could have shot a 35mm film, ISO400 and f/2.0, which leads to slow shutter speeds in so many situations when light is nice. I started buying Portra 800 film simply because I bought a 6x6.
04-30-2022, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
Great post Eyewanders. You illustrated your points with the images so well. Indeed there is something about the 67 paired with the 105mm. I am more than sure that I will pick up the combo in near future.

And I would certainly like to hear more about the "scanning" done with the GR III. I am intrigued.
04-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leonine Quote
Great post Eyewanders. You illustrated your points with the images so well. Indeed there is something about the 67 paired with the 105mm. I am more than sure that I will pick up the combo in near future.

And I would certainly like to hear more about the "scanning" done with the GR III. I am intrigued.
Cheers. It's really not much of a story. The GR lens and sensor with it's close focus ability is good enough to get a very decent amount of medium format film in-frame for scanning and works quite well considering. There's a bit of distortion due to it's wider angle but it's not bad. I've used it to scan a number of frames on the fly instead of setting up my "real" DSLR camera scanning setup. There are a few others I've on Flickr that've done the same. The results were just much better than I (or most I'd reckon) would have expected.

Yutaka Seki on flickr has a small album of provia shots "scanned" using a GRIII. https://www.flickr.com/photos/yutakaseki/albums/72157714591592997

05-07-2022, 12:29 PM   #20

Original Poster
Saw the "scanned" images. Thank you.
02-13-2023, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
the 150 is great, but lots of ca if that bothers you. the 90 is my favorite do-it-all lens. you didn't ask, but i'd also recommend the d-fa 35mm. this was a quick one with the 35... not the best example but i got her to sit still for a second where she wasn't laughing at me.

Hey this is beautiful, is this 35mm? the perspective of her face doesn't look that wide
02-15-2023, 09:39 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sam1999 Quote
Hey this is beautiful, is this 35mm? the perspective of her face doesn't look that wide
yep, that's the 35.