Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #1

Norita rittron adapter to Pentax 645z

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was gifted a Norita 66 camera which came with the Rittron 80mm F2 lens by a friend. Looked into repairing the stuck shutter but otherwise it is in mint condition. Got an estimate but after weighing the cost to benefit of investing into another system I decided to put it off for now.

In the meantime I am left with this amazing 80mm f2 lens that I am dying to try out. Sadly the only adapter I have seen for the lens is to a Pentax Pk mount. Although I also own a pentax K-1 I already have amazing fast glass for it and am more excited about this F2 on my medium format system since I own nothing that fast for my 645z.

I also recently purchased a Pentax 67 to pentax 645 adapter so maybe there is a work around via that adapter.

Would appreciate any advice including maybe a link to someone who can custom build the adapter.

Not sure about flange distance issues so any advice there would be appreciated as well.

03-17-2022, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard a little about this camera many years ago and nothing since so I googled it. It was announced in 1971 with lenses from 40mm to 400mm including that 80mm f/2. It used a mechanical focal plane shutter with 1-1/500 sec plus B. It uses a breech lock bayonet type mount with a flange distance of 68.2mm compared to the P645 with 70.87mm. I suspect an adapter attempt would not be practical since with the 2.67mm difference the 80 f/2 would need to be further back than the P645 mount allows for to obtain infinity focus.
03-18-2022, 05:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it depends how the lens is constructed at the mount.... if you take it apart and can machine an existing adapter to fit the lens, it could be easy to get the right flange distance... just depends how it's made. i'm eventually going to finish adapting a mamiya 645 shift lens for the z.... but since it's a shift lens, it's not as straight forward... getting the flange distance was the easy part for that one.
03-18-2022, 05:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a little more searching I found that Pentax 645 mount diameter of 61.2mm is smaller than many other medium format cameras. Although I can't find the diameter of the Norita 66 mount, apparently an adapter allowing Pentacon 6 lens to Norita 66 mount was made possible because of the longer Pentacon 6 flange distance (74.1). But a Norita 66 lens adapter to Pentacon 6 camera was not possible because the Norita 66 diameter is larger than the Pentacon 6 mount. So for your purpose, the large diameter Norita 66 80f/2 would have to somehow be recessed into the smaller diameter Pentax 645 camera mount and be further complicated by Norita's breech lock mechanism. Even if you disassembled that lens mount to somehow use an existing adapter I don't see how it would ever achieve infinity focus. Old lenses can make some very interesting photos adapted to modern cameras but I think you have been defeated in this case.

03-19-2022, 08:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice.
Although the diameter of the lens and the required flange distance seem to make it not possible to attain infinity focus I wonder if I could still adapt the lens and use it for portraits.
I really like some of the photos I have seen on Flickr from this lens.
Looks like I will have to think about repairing the camera's stuck shutter to get to use this lens on a medium format system without having to go out and buy another camera.
05-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #6

Did you ever find a solution
01-14-2024, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Raxelrad Quote

I have a solution. An adapter is impossible to make due to the stated reasons (flange distance, smaller mount (Norita lens has a breach lock). However, the lens can be converted (fully reversible) for Pentax 645 mount. You just need to dismantle the lens from the helicoid (fully reversible) and need three parts in total to convert the lens for Pentax 645 mount. The lens will focus from 70cm to infinity on P645. Let me know if you need any further information!

01-15-2024, 08:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please don't leave us hanging; would you at least clarify whether the three parts need to be fabricated from raw metal, modified from some existing parts, or can be "borrowed" from an existing lens assembly?
01-16-2024, 08:06 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fotophilie Quote
I have a solution. An adapter is impossible to make due to the stated reasons (flange distance, smaller mount (Norita lens has a breach lock). However, the lens can be converted (fully reversible) for Pentax 645 mount. You just need to dismantle the lens from the helicoid (fully reversible) and need three parts in total to convert the lens for Pentax 645 mount. The lens will focus from 70cm to infinity on P645. Let me know if you need any further information!
Seems like something beyond my capabilities. Wish I knew someone who could make these modifications.

---------- Post added 01-16-24 at 08:07 AM ----------

No I haven't. Would love to use this lens but looks like unless I can pay someone to make serious modifications to it, its a no go.

---------- Post added 01-16-24 at 08:07 AM ----------

No I haven't. Would love to use this lens but looks like unless I can pay someone to make serious modifications to it, its a no go.
01-16-2024, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #10

Depending on where you are based Sevastianos, I could do that for you. But I can also explain to you how to do it.

You need three parts:

1. Pentax 645 --> M65 Adapter (RafCamera M65x1 female thread to Pentax 645 camera mount adapter...)

2. M65 --> M65 Helicoid 17-31mm (eBay from China; like this one: M65 zu M65 Mount Objektiv Einstellbarer Fokussier Helicoid 17 Mm 31 Mm MakrD7 | eBay)

3. M65 to 58mm clamp to hold the lens (RafCamera 58mm clamp to M65x1 male thread adapter for helicoids...). The helicoid acutally "sinks" inside the helicoid which gives the necessary space for the lens to reach infinity.

4. A Norita 80mm F2 lens

The process is fairly easy. You just need to dismantle the lens from the helicoid which is a 5 minute procedure (only screwdrivers needed). the rest is just tightning screws from the 58mm clamp to the lens and screwing everything togehter.

I can make a video of the process once my next badge of accesories arrives and make a video about it. The procdure is fully reversible.

Let me know if you'Äd be interested in a video. I could upload it to YouTube.