Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 645z - worth 'nothing' on used market?

Even though Pentax is supposedly still selling the Z new I would be astonished if they actually sold any given how hard it is to sell a used one. I'm trying to sell my Z with 28-45 and 55 for well less than half the retail cost and haven't had the slightest interest on ebay. I'm wondering if it is even worth selling it if I have to practically give it away.

Sorry not really a question more of comment and wondering if anyone is engaging in the market for this camera at all now given the Fuji system and others. I knew when I bought it that resale could be a problem but still.... I had a great 7 years with though.

05-04-2022, 10:26 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's peculiar that you're getting no eBay offers. That machine still has lots of value for someone in the Weddings & Events and architectural photography commercial business, especially with that lens. Be patient, keep pitching it, add some good work done by it to your sales post. Pitch the DSLR optical viewfinder advantage ("immediate composition readiness on very dark environments") and wide compatibility with other Pentax 645 lenses, flash units and accessories. I hope you good selling.
05-04-2022, 10:47 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I'm trying to sell my Z with 28-45 and 55 for well less than half the retail cost and haven't had the slightest interest on ebay. I'm wondering if it is even worth selling it if I have to practically give it away.
1) Target audience of market place: ebay isn't specialized in cameras, so you may not benefit from the funnel effect of selling through a specialized camera retailer who typical attract prospects in search of Pentax cameras/lenses
2) Price: as seller you compare the price to the price new, but buyers compare alternative offers. If there are alternative medium format cameras with equivalent specs (+ advantages) , and cheaper than yours, what's the likelihood of your offer being selected?

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I knew when I bought it that resale could be a problem but still.... I had a great 7 years with though.
3) Well, in business, the book value of most electronic equipment is zero after about 5 pr 6 years, for other machinery it's up to 10 years. So, considering you are a business and a 645z is heavy machinery with 10 years depreciation case, selling 50% of the book value after 7 years, would register as making a profit reported in income statement.

What's interesting is that the 645z still sells new for $6500, while competitor solutions cost almost half that price.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-04-2022 at 10:58 PM.
05-04-2022, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to know how much a particular item might sell for on eBay, search for it using a “Sold items” search filter. That will also give an idea how many have sold recently.

Don’t take a list of others merely offered for sale as your guide - many of these will never sell, like the Rolex watches at $12345…..

Last edited by StiffLegged; 05-04-2022 at 11:32 PM.
05-05-2022, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Would not trust Ebay... Try selling via Ffordes Photographic | For Purchase and sales of all Major Photographic equipment, world wide. ... The rate the gear being sold so the buyer has more confidence.
Either that or sell in person so You may be offered better price. I sold My old mx and lenses Pentax that way and got good homes and prices.
On Ebay people only take a chance for low priced bargain in My experience. Much of stock is dodgy in whole host of ways.
As I used to work in a camera shop I have seen a lot of gear.
05-05-2022, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried it on the PF Marketplace yet?
05-05-2022, 03:30 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is exactly why I have decided to keep mine.

With the exception of my DFA645 90/2.8 Macro, my medium format lenses are not very expensive. Their image making power will continue to be compelling for decades.

05-05-2022, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly, it's not worth "nothing"... but the value may be lower than you hoped. The 645Z may still be current, but a seven-year-old camera is still a seven-year-old camera. Even if yours is in outstanding condition with a low shutter count, a big chunk of its value has gone after seven years. Plus, the market for medium format is considerably smaller than for full frame 35mm. Even at an attractive price, it's going to take a while to sell.

If you're trying to sell the items as a job lot, I'd recommend listing them separately instead. Individual items are easier to sell, and tend to fetch more than if they're bundled into a kit...
05-05-2022, 04:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Clearly, it's not worth "nothing"... but the value may be lower than you hoped. The 645Z may still be current, but a seven-year-old camera is still a seven-year-old camera. Even if yours is in outstanding condition with a low shutter count, a big chunk of its value has gone after seven years. Plus, the market for medium format is considerably smaller than for full frame 35mm. Even at an attractive price, it's going to take a while to sell.

If you're trying to sell the items as a job lot, I'd recommend listing them separately instead. Individual items are easier to sell, and tend to fetch more than if they're bundled into a kit...

Yeah I did sell my 90 and 200 seperately but I decided selling the rest individually was risky. If I sell as an entire kit I at least will have it available to use as a system until the day I sell and i can always change my mind. If I sold the 28-45 I'd be stuck with a camera I essentially can't use and there is no backing out. The 28-45 has been what I used 99% of my shots. The 55 is really just a bonus for a buyer.

---------- Post added 05-05-22 at 04:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
1) Target audience of market place: ebay isn't specialized in cameras, so you may not benefit from the funnel effect of selling through a specialized camera retailer who typical attract prospects in search of Pentax cameras/lenses
2) Price: as seller you compare the price to the price new, but buyers compare alternative offers. If there are alternative medium format cameras with equivalent specs (+ advantages) , and cheaper than yours, what's the likelihood of your offer being selected?

3) Well, in business, the book value of most electronic equipment is zero after about 5 pr 6 years, for other machinery it's up to 10 years. So, considering you are a business and a 645z is heavy machinery with 10 years depreciation case, selling 50% of the book value after 7 years, would register as making a profit reported in income statement.

What's interesting is that the 645z still sells new for $6500, while competitor solutions cost almost half that price.
I'm not actually a business I do landscape photography as a hobby. I did try and turn it into a sideline and have sold prints but its not worth the hassle given the small market. Being based in Perth (most isolated capital city in Australia and maybe the world) and not wanting to ship overseas does limit my selling opportunities and ebay is kind of the only practical option for me. I did try FB pentax groups and one person was interested but instead bought a K1. Small market for Pentax in Perth.
05-05-2022, 04:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try dedicated photo sales options like Fred Miranda or here in the marketplace. Also look at the sold items listings as someone else suggested. Finally unpackaged goods - separate body, separate lenses, have a wider appeal.
05-05-2022, 06:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know how this compares with what you expect, but I bought my 645z in Jan. 2021 for $2350; and paid $1800 for the 645D about a year before.

I would expect to pay somewhat less today.
05-05-2022, 06:57 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

You may have better luck separating out the 28-45. While you're probably right about bundling the 55, bundling a lens that is close to the value of the body it's attached to may discourage some potential buyers who are primarily in the market to attach older (and cheaper) film-era 645 lenses to it. Less likely, you may come across someone wanting to upgrade their film era wide angle to the 28-45, but don't really want to pay double just because a body comes with it.

Fuji's pricing is also quite aggressive - the GFX 50S II is C$5000, has IBIS, and can take Pentax 645 lenses with a fully manual adapter.
05-05-2022, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will take it for "nothing"
05-05-2022, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the other end of the scale, some of the Pentax 6x7 gear has gone way up in price on the used market.

Check the current prices for a 67II body or a 67 105/2.4 lens and they have doubled/tripled over the last five years.

Phil.
05-05-2022, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
On the other end of the scale, some of the Pentax 6x7 gear has gone way up in price on the used market.

Check the current prices for a 67II body or a 67 105/2.4 lens and they have doubled/tripled over the last five years.

Phil.
Yeah the cost for certain film camera's is kind of nuts. Check out what a Hasselblad X-pan costs!!

---------- Post added 05-05-22 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
You may have better luck separating out the 28-45. While you're probably right about bundling the 55, bundling a lens that is close to the value of the body it's attached to may discourage some potential buyers who are primarily in the market to attach older (and cheaper) film-era 645 lenses to it. Less likely, you may come across someone wanting to upgrade their film era wide angle to the 28-45, but don't really want to pay double just because a body comes with it.

Fuji's pricing is also quite aggressive - the GFX 50S II is C$5000, has IBIS, and can take Pentax 645 lenses with a fully manual adapter.

Yes you may be right. If still haven't sold it in a few months and I find myself not using it then I'll probably go that way.
Closed Thread