Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do Cactus flash units work on 645Z?

Anyone know if Cactus triggers work with 645Z and Cactus flash guns (and Pentax 540 with its own Cactus receiver)?

I have several Cactus units which work seamlessly on my K-1. If I was ever tempted to try a 645Z for still life studio shots, I'd not want to replace my Cactus gear. (I bought used spare Cactus units when they ceased trading to future proof myself).

Thanks,

05-10-2022, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well others may be able to answer quicker as I can't pull mine out and test it but I have a Z and Cactus triggers + flash. I can test it later today, but I have every reason to expect it to function just as well on the Z as it would on other Pentax bodies. I don't recall any camera model specific setting just brand.

Anyone else?
05-10-2022, 09:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well others may be able to answer quicker as I can't pull mine out and test it but I have a Z and Cactus triggers + flash. I can test it later today, but I have every reason to expect it to function just as well on the Z as it would on other Pentax bodies. I don't recall any camera model specific setting just brand.

Anyone else?
Thanks, Tim. I'm expecting it will work, but getting a guarantee from a user is essential as now Cactus support is no more.
05-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Thanks, Tim. I'm expecting it will work, but getting a guarantee from a user is essential as now Cactus support is no more.
Good point. I will give it a try later today and report.

05-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #5
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
there are youtube videos where you can see how the Cactus Triggers work with the 645Z ... just google
05-10-2022, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
there are youtube videos where you can see how the Cactus Triggers work with the 645Z ... just google
Thanks I did Google it and found one old 2018 video. Cactus made changes to their firmware since then, which may have improved things for this user and/or a 645Z. I hope someone here has recent experience which would give me extra assurance (or otherwise).
05-10-2022, 05:19 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In some ways, Barry, a 645Z is really a K-3 with a bigger sensor, so it should work. There's a lower sync speed because of the bigger shutter, but that's about it.

05-10-2022, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, as it's been more than a year since I got my gear out, it took me awhile to remember how to make things talk to each other. I have the Cactus RF60X flash with the latest firmware A.08 and a Cactus V6II with the latest firmware PEN.A.005. Had to check but I remember updating all my devices firmware in 2000 when I bought the setup. Bottom line here is that it works just fine on both my K-1II and 645z. I haven't done test with my 540FGZII as that's another recall of forgotten memory issue for me. I kinda recall that the 540 + Cactus was a bit touchy, but again I'm relying on memory here. Anyway, that's what I've seen here. Not going to worry about the 540 / Cactus combo though. YMMV
05-10-2022, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well, as it's been more than a year since I got my gear out, it took me awhile to remember how to make things talk to each other. I have the Cactus RF60X flash with the latest firmware A.08 and a Cactus V6II with the latest firmware PEN.A.005. Had to check but I remember updating all my devices firmware in 2000 when I bought the setup. Bottom line here is that it works just fine on both my K-1II and 645z. I haven't done test with my 540FGZII as that's another recall of forgotten memory issue for me. I kinda recall that the 540 + Cactus was a bit touchy, but again I'm relying on memory here. Anyway, that's what I've seen here. Not going to worry about the 540 / Cactus combo though. YMMV
Thank you very much Tim, for spending the time to check and with the detail too - it's really appreciated. Your synapses will have appreciated the workout too

Now that niggling worm, that's the 645Z, will reappear and start working on me ...

Thanks again ...
05-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Thank you very much Tim, for spending the time to check and with the detail too - it's really appreciated. Your synapses will have appreciated the workout too

Now that niggling worm, that's the 645Z, will reappear and start working on me ...

Thanks again ...
Sure, glad to - remember ... help!
05-12-2022, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My equally antiquated synapses concur. I am also pretty sure that a Cactus setup can handle pass-through to a Pentax flash mounted on the RF60X. I can't recall if that was tested on a Z, and in any case was likely part of a lot of Cactus commentary in the "flash" forum. I can't recall if I tried to test pass through or not. I recall testing the RF60X and its V6II satellites without any issues. Unfortunately, playing with that setup was overcome by events and I haven't gone back to it yet.
05-12-2022, 07:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
My equally antiquated synapses concur. I am also pretty sure that a Cactus setup can handle pass-through to a Pentax flash mounted on the RF60X. I can't recall if that was tested on a Z, and in any case was likely part of a lot of Cactus commentary in the "flash" forum. I can't recall if I tried to test pass through or not. I recall testing the RF60X and its V6II satellites without any issues. Unfortunately, playing with that setup was overcome by events and I haven't gone back to it yet.
Thanks Kaseki, the evidence is coming together that Cactus gear works fine on Z. I now have to work out if the 645Z will give me more than I have now. I'm heavily invested in Pentax batteries, chargers, remotes etc etc. that if I decide to try MF, it will be with Pentax rather than the more "sensible" Fuji alternative. This MF niggle will just not go away
05-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once we have 20k displays, the merits of MF will become apparent, even on-line.