Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-13-2022, 09:58 PM   #1

Pentax 67ii compatible with old 67MLU wood hand grip

Ok, I feel a little crazy asking this but I recently bought a 67ii off of ebay after my older MLU67 died and is beyond economical repair. When I got the 67ii I shot a roll of film through it, put the old handgrip on it and the film counter and ability to release the shutter stopped working (it took me a very long time to connect that the handgrip was the problem). I even rerolled a roll of exposed film, put it in the 67ii, shot 3 photos on it, connected the old hand grip and watched the shutter count disappear as I turned the locking screw on the handgrip down. Of course, this really makes no sense to me since I can’t think of any reason this would happen? Has anyone run into this before? I still have the ability to return the 67ii, which seems to be in great shape without using the handgrip - I’m worried it may be a sign of a random problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

05-14-2022, 03:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 67 II has its own custom wooden handgrip, different from the one on the older 67 model. I would never have suspected such a trivial accessory could have such influence. Try the camera on a tripod without the handle to check if the camera is operating correctly before sending it back.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 05-14-2022 at 07:25 AM.
05-14-2022, 05:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both the new and old grips, I will try them tomorrow and let you know if I can duplicate that behaviour
05-14-2022, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The older wooden hand-grip will mount on any Pentax 6x7 model. (6x7/67/67ii) The 67ii TTL wooden hand-grip will attach to any 6x7 body as well, but the TTL flash function, will only work on the 67ii.

A wooden had-grip should not impact any camera function if mounted correctly and the camera does not have other existing issues.

Phil.

05-15-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried both grips on the 67II and can confirm that your behaviour is unusual, looking at the connection castings, there is no difference in the actual attachments with either grip. Perhaps there is something happening under the skin near the tightening part of your body, if you want a left hand grip on your camera then best to send it back to the seller.