Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2022, 04:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need to use a Better Profile for 645Z. Using Lightroom Classic

Using adobe Standard does not seem to give me the best of what the Z can deliver. Can you recommend another camera profile to use. Thank you

07-21-2022, 08:28 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the cobalt-image Basic pack.
Basic Pack - Cobalt
07-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just read the info on Cobalt. I am a little confused. What other than the Basic download for my specific camera what other ones should I download? This is confusing to me and which one(s) should I purchase that you could recommend. Thank you Dennis
07-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What does the Adobe profile get wrong for you? Have you tried the Pentax supplied options - Embedded, Camera Bright, Camera Landscape etc.

07-21-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The colors are Not as POP as I think they should. NO Have Not tried Pentax ones Thank you
07-21-2022, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recommend you make your own profile(s). It is fairly easy to do and you can also have LR or ACR load the profile as a default for your camera.

If you search either on YouTube or in Adobe help files you will find many tutorials of how to do it. Is fairly simple to do.

The most difficult part is putting together settings that you want to load as a default for all your pictures. Alternatively you can setup different standard sets for the different photo scenes you are doing (landscape, wildlife, portraits, etc) and use it either as profiles or presets.

Going in this direction gives you much better control over the outcome, cost you nothing and you can change your mind as often as you like.
07-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
The colors are Not as POP as I think they should. NO Have Not tried Pentax ones Thank you
Mate, you are using one of the strongest processing tools out there with LR Classic. Why would you surrender your processing choices to what someone else has deemed best for your pictures without even knowing what you shoot ?

I use Silkypix DSPro and Adobe Photoshop/ACR (pretty much identical now to LR) for my processing. I create my own profiles that suit my style of pictures as a starting point and adjust from there.

07-21-2022, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You Both Make a Lot of sense. I will check youtube and do it myself. Thank you. Greatly appreciate it
08-21-2022, 09:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've used Huelight profiles for all my bodies. No complaints at all.
Making your own is best as TDvN57 suggested, but if you don't trust your technique, try the Huelights...i gues they changed the name:
Pentax Camera Profiles
08-23-2022, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I've used Huelight profiles for all my bodies. No complaints at all.
Making your own is best as TDvN57 suggested, but if you don't trust your technique, try the Huelights...i gues they changed the name:
Pentax Camera Profiles
Thank you I will order them and see how they are TY
08-26-2022, 01:08 AM   #11

DXO PhotoLab 5 would be my suggestion.
08-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
DXO PhotoLab 5 would be my suggestion.
color profiles?

---------- Post added 08-26-22 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
I like the cobalt-image Basic pack.
Basic Pack - Cobalt
I don't see any specific to the 645Z. Which profile(s) are you using and how do they work for you?

---------- Post added 08-26-22 at 11:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
What does the Adobe profile get wrong for you? Have you tried the Pentax supplied options - Embedded, Camera Bright, Camera Landscape etc.
Ideally, you want your processing software(ie LR) to interpret your RAW color information in a way that reflects the specific color performance of your camera's sensor. Adobe does not offer any profiles for the 645Z and the general ones are just too far off, IMO. These 3rd party companies have profiled a 645Z to a calibrated color chart to provide a set of "offsets".

---------- Post added 08-26-22 at 11:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Mate, you are using one of the strongest processing tools out there with LR Classic. Why would you surrender your processing choices to what someone else has deemed best for your pictures without even knowing what you shoot ?

I use Silkypix DSPro and Adobe Photoshop/ACR (pretty much identical now to LR) for my processing. I create my own profiles that suit my style of pictures as a starting point and adjust from there.
OP is not talking about processing presets, but rather calibration files to get the best color performance between camera sensor and the software. Kinda like how we calibrate our monitor colors to match embedded image colors.

Last edited by mikeSF; 08-26-2022 at 11:33 AM.
08-26-2022, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

color profiles?
OP is not talking about processing presets, but rather calibration files to get the best color performance between camera sensor and the software. Kinda like how we calibrate our monitor colors to match embedded image colors.
I also miss understood that. Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to take a picture of a color chart in the same light where you intend to shoot? The correction is then easily done in any editor. Over time you can collect a substantial database of corrections which can be simplified into a set of profiles.
08-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I also miss understood that.
I am not at all sure you misunderstood anything.
08-26-2022, 07:17 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

color profiles?
DxO Photolab 5 works with camera profiles (it uses the same DCP profiles as Adobe Camera Raw/Lightroom).

QuoteQuote:
I don't see any specific to the 645Z. Which profile(s) are you using and how do they work for you?
There is a dropdown menu on the linked web page to choose the camera model. The 645Z is indeed present in the list.

QuoteQuote:
Ideally, you want your processing software(ie LR) to interpret your RAW color information in a way that reflects the specific color performance of your camera's sensor. Adobe does not offer any profiles for the 645Z and the general ones are just too far off, IMO. These 3rd party companies have profiled a 645Z to a calibrated color chart to provide a set of "offsets".
I use Cobalt's 645D profile and it's very well done (dual illuminants, high number of colors sampled).

Cheers!

Abbazz