Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2022, 01:49 AM   #1

Pentax 6x7 mirror lifts and shutter cocks when advancing film.

Hi,

If someone can direct me to the right answer/post then much appreciated.

My 6x7mlu is behaving badly. When i go to cock the camera, the mirror lifts.

It releases on pressing the shutter release. The last it really was anything like behaving as expected I pressed the mlu release button. The mirror lowereed but the mechanism for lowerering the mirror now does nothing.

However! The battery is fine but there is no current available as the exposure meter doesn't work, nor the battery check light come on. It did a short while ago.

TBH, for a while, the whole thing was a bit 'iffy' and the mirror would sometimes lock, sometimes not. the mirror generally released as i removed the battery, making me think it was just a contact or power issue. Sometimes it worked fine.

So, the upshot. I have a camera with no electrics that the shutter cocks and mirror lifts at all times when advancing the film. Pressing the shutter release fires the camera at the correct speed and lowers themirror.

Any help greatly appreciated.

06-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #2

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your camera?
I'm having the same problem as you..
06-17-2023, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Would suggest firstly, the camera be hard-reset.
Film should be loaded for this test unless winding bypass is used.

• Insert a toothpick into the recessed hole to the left of the mirrorbox.
• Press once
• Fire the shutter once only
• Wind-on.

This procedure sacrifices one frame of film, resetting both mirror if it is out of sync, and the shutter-winding mechanism.

If this procedure does not improve the camera's operation, I suspect the mirror solenoid is shot. This can be replaced, albeit with a like-part that will introduce redundancy and lack of reliability going forward (no new parts are available).
11-21-2023, 06:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheIsak Quote
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your camera?
I'm having the same problem as you..
No. I think it's the solenoid but I'm not sure as yet.