Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2022, 02:54 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

645D - Twelve Years Strong

I took the 645D to the city this past weekend. Possibly my favorite pic from the session above, the rest can be seen (in the link below). Really this camera never ceases to amaze me, I think its overtaken now my love for the K-1, 645D has slid into first place

https://www.eddysummers.com.au/blog/twelve-years-strong

Thanks for looking,

BB

10-29-2022, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work Eddy! Nothing like a nice little inconspicuous camera for some street shooting in the big smoke

What lens(es) were you carrying around with you?
10-29-2022, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

....I see on Flickr that the Opera House shot is with the 55....
10-29-2022, 03:54 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Nice work Eddy! Nothing like a nice little inconspicuous camera for some street shooting in the big smoke

What lens(es) were you carrying around with you?
Thank you Sandy. I predominantly used the DFA55, but also the A35/3.5, 75/2.8LS and also even the 200/4 (but I don't think that lens saw much action). It's just funny... I have shot plenty times with Fuji XT4 and K-1 in the city, I'd never taken the 645D. Usually the 645D would accompany me in the Blue Mountains so it was interesting to see how it worked in urban surroundings. And shooting street was even more hilarious as I knew it was wise to take my monopod
, so being inconspicuous was totally out of the question I knew (even on a bright day) that I'd be stopping down past f4, with a max ISO of 1600 (and not a great ISO, more dynamic range at base ISO if you can hang out down there), and a camera body that has no IBIS... taking shots steadily and quickly was important to me so the monopod was very useful addition, I come to think of it as Part 1 of the 645D experience (Part 2 being the camera & lens ).

But it is really interesting to see how people react to that level of camera gear (and support items) coming out. On every corner you can see people using their phones to take a pic, or some tiny MILC and no one is battering an eye... but this thing.. when it comes out it gets attention (and not always in a bad way).

I had fun doing it, would definitely do it again, but when the light got low it was very hard work and wished I had something with higher ISO thresholds or IBIS. Even the monopod could not save it.

---------- Post added 10-30-22 at 09:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
....I see on Flickr that the Opera House shot is with the 55....
Yeh I sold my FA43 recently, because I knew that the DFA55 on the 645D gives me a similar shooting experience. The DFA55 is so light and offers a pretty versatile focal length, I hardly switch from it. Weather sealed as well, and silent AF (and quite accurate I find!). 645D+DFA55 combo is possibly my favorite. I wouldn't mind the FA75/2.8, but that thing is not weather sealed, right? So I think I will stick with my A75/2.8LS (though I cannot get the LS feature to work :'(

10-30-2022, 12:44 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Bruce, nice to still see and read about your enthusiasm for Pentax - please, keep it up!

Today it seems to be really unusual to even erect a tripod. When I do this and people come across there‘s a good chance to have a nice smalltalk. I think people simply recognize you must be serious with photography and get curious. Slow photography using huge cameras (compared to a phone or small MILC) and tripods is a statement, I guess.

By the way I‘d also be glad to use a 645D or Z, still hope there will be a successor!
10-30-2022, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

645Z always on tripod. Long 645 lenses too.

645 FA 35 mm f/3.5

645 DFA 55 mm f/2.8

645 FA 200 mm f/4

645 FA* 300 mm f/4 on a Pentax K3 III APSC body with adapter