Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #1

Why 645 lenses as Prize for Contest

Hi,

Good to hear that you are conducting the contest.
But the problem is the prize. Are you trying to get rid of your medium format lenses through this contest ? ��. I own the 645z system with 6 lenses ( 28-45, 45-85, 55, 75, 90 & 150 ). But unfortunately no support here in India. No new firmware updates. Pathetic live video through LR. Not being able to shoot with Capture One etc.

I would like to know what’s the future of the Pentax medium format system ? Should I keep it or get rid of it and go for the Fujifilm GFX system ?

Thanks and regards
Anil Kumar K

India

Last edited by OrchidJulie; 11-13-2022 at 12:14 PM. Reason: removed personal information
11-13-2022, 12:17 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anil Kumar K Quote
Hi,

But the problem is the prize. Are you trying to get rid of your medium format lenses through this contest ? ��. I own the 645z system with 6 lenses ( 28-45, 45-85, 55, 75, 90 & 150 ). But unfortunately no support here in India. No new firmware updates. Pathetic live video through LR. Not being able to shoot with Capture One etc.

I would like to know what’s the future of the Pentax medium format system ? Should I keep it or get rid of it and go for the Fujifilm GFX system ?

Thanks and regards
Anil Kumar K

India
no one here is in any official capacity with Ricoh and no one can tell you with certainty what they will do. As for the contest complaint - that’s like looking a (EDIT) gift horse in the mouth. (Clearly a GIF horse would be wonderous indeed in real life...)

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-15-2022 at 06:02 PM.
11-13-2022, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello, and welcome to Pentax Forums. Thanks for your questions. The 645 lens prize, as with the other lenses, was donated by a fellow Forum member.

If you need help with your 645Z system, there are many Forum threads here that deal with it, so I suggest you have a look there, too. Ricoh, the parent company, used to have a significant presence in India, until some financial impropriety there caused them to shut down and indeed to undertake significant change to deal with the losses. It’s a pity they haven’t seen fit to re-establish themselves there.

I take it your camera still works, even with the issues you state. It would be good to see some of your photos, too, should you wish to share them. If you’re unsatisfied with the quality of the photos the 645Z produces, then it’s a matter for you to decide whether to keep it or not. You’d probably find plenty of buyers here if you put it in the Marketplace, should you decide to go that way.
11-13-2022, 01:12 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Thanks and regards
Anil Kumar K

India
I may be mistaken, but I think the 645 lens prizes are a donation (?) from someone who has decided the system is too heavy for him and is going with a K1mkII. I may have this wrong, but even if I do I don't think anything should be read into it beyond the fact that it's a great prize.

As far as where the 645 system is going, the last decent rumor we've had is that there is something in the pipeline, or at least plans. Officially Ricoh/Pentax stated that they were "watching the market". That's a good thing imo. That was pre-covid, but it seems folks have to be reminded that covid has actually been as disruptive, if not more---certainly more in terms of death and medical problems---than the 2008 financial crisis. With respect to supply chain problems, more so. Then remember the chip factory fire that had already caused delays and disruption before covid. So it's been a fairly wild ride for 3-4 years.

Pentax had the "reasonably" priced digital medium format market all to itself from 2010 through 2014. Now, along with the other issues just cited, they indeed do have to "watch the market" with Fuji and even Hassy in that mix. Many of us have noted that Pentax could have an inherent advantage over Fuji because all but 2 of their 645 lens lineup is FF 645 ready. But being a small company within the larger one they also have to be careful. The context here is that Pentax has had 3 stinging "failures"--- 2 cameras, the Q and the K-01 which did not sell that well, and their disastrous alliance with Contax to produce the first FF camera, which crashed and burned. Add to that the Hoya debacle.

I still believe that we will see a renewal of the system, but while I'm all in favor of smaller, incremental improvements to low priced cameras (Pentax KF is a good example), for top of the line, pro-grade cameras a different approach is required I think.

Meanwhile, my Z is still the best imaging machine I have ever owned, all in, and continues to produce brilliant images and excellent files today just as it did the day I bought it in 2014.

With respect to pro support, that's sadly a separate and not great situation. And I would guess that support in India for all cameras would lag behind that available in North America and Europe.

11-13-2022, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,

But the problem is the prize. Are you trying to get rid of your medium format lenses through this contest ?
Simply read the first post in the contest announement thread: Two Special Photo Contests: "Landscape" - win Pentax 645, star, and limited lenses! - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Prize details:

Prizes are generously donated by @ivanvernon . All lenses are in excellent condition with proper front and back caps and no disfiguring smudges, scratches, or other disfiguring marks. The 90 mm comes boxed. Shipping is included. Winner responsible for customs duties and taxes, if applicable.
QuoteQuote:
I own the 645z system with 6 lenses ( 28-45, 45-85, 55, 75, 90 & 150 ). But unfortunately no support here in India. No new firmware updates. Pathetic live video through LR. Not being able to shoot with Capture One etc.

Thanks and regards
Anil Kumar K

India
If these things are important to you, you should switch to Fujifilm.
11-13-2022, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If these things are important to you, you should switch to Fujifilm.
I agree - waiting on a company to make what you want when another already does is a formula for disappointment. On the other hand if the 645z is doing what you need and it’s only some envy of some wanted things that you can live without a while longer, it may be worth gambling on waiting and hoping.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-13-2022 at 10:19 PM.
11-13-2022, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hello, and welcome to Pentax Forums. Thanks for your questions. The 645 lens prize, as with the other lenses, was donated by a fellow Forum member.

If you need help with your 645Z system, there are many Forum threads here that deal with it, so I suggest you have a look there, too. Ricoh, the parent company, used to have a significant presence in India, until some financial impropriety there caused them to shut down and indeed to undertake significant change to deal with the losses. It’s a pity they haven’t seen fit to re-establish themselves there.

I take it your camera still works, even with the issues you state. It would be good to see some of your photos, too, should you wish to share them. If you’re unsatisfied with the quality of the photos the 645Z produces, then it’s a matter for you to decide whether to keep it or not. You’d probably find plenty of buyers here if you put it in the Marketplace, should you decide to go that way.
While the OP does have some valid complaints, I just wish to echo these comments, and they are spot on.

I’ve long been been longing for a 645Z, and I’m guessing many others here in the forums have, too. Dollar for dollar I believe one would be hard pressed to find equal photo quality in a similarly priced format system. I would be willing to bet you would easily find a buyer for your system right here on this forum.

11-15-2022, 06:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I agree - waiting on a company to make what you want when another already does is a formula for disappointment. On the other hand if the 645z is doing what you need and it’s only some envy of some wanted things that you can live without a while longer, it may be worth gambling on waiting and hoping.
Hi,

I can attest to this. I'm using a 645D while waiting for a 645 with the 100 MP (or, better still, the 150 MP) imager. And, I'm not particularly wanting the 50 MP one in any brand body. So, I expect to buy a GFX 100s second quarter 2023. But, I'd keep on using my Pentax 645 lenses.

And this would not be something new for me. I bought a Canon 1Ds when that was new and used my Nikon manual focus lenses on it.

Stan
11-15-2022, 07:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by w2ck Quote
Hi,

I can attest to this. I'm using a 645D while waiting for a 645 with the 100 MP (or, better still, the 150 MP) imager. And, I'm not particularly wanting the 50 MP one in any brand body. So, I expect to buy a GFX 100s second quarter 2023. But, I'd keep on using my Pentax 645 lenses.

And this would not be something new for me. I bought a Canon 1Ds when that was new and used my Nikon manual focus lenses on it.

Stan
What’s driving the interest in 100-150mp? Do you print very large images?
11-15-2022, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

What’s driving the interest in 100-150mp? Do you print very large images?
Yes. That is the question. More folks need to ask it.

And also realize that after upping the MP in the body, your next purchase will need to be a new computer.
11-15-2022, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes. That is the question. More folks need to ask it.

And also realize that after upping the MP in the body, your next purchase will need to be a new computer.
I own a Sony A7Riii with a 42mp 36mm x 24mm sensor. The A7Riv has 61mp which isn’t that much more but is enough to tax some computers that worked fine with the 42mp gear. I’m struggling to find a need for more than what I have but I’m not suggesting there isn’t a need - I’m genuinely curious what the need is.
11-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I own a Sony A7Riii with a 42mp 36mm x 24mm sensor. The A7Riv has 61mp which isn’t that much more but is enough to tax some computers that worked fine with the 42mp gear. I’m struggling to find a need for more than what I have but I’m not suggesting there isn’t a need - I’m genuinely curious what the need is.
I'd say there are several "needs"

Large scale printing. More mp is going to get you bigger, but*
  • There are good ways to upscale/uprez with software now, and that's going to get better
  • People usually don't consider how much it costs to frame large WOP(works on paper). It costs a lot, even if you do it yourself.

Serious cropping. But this seems like weak beer, reasoning wise

"Future proof" files. Well, there's storage, which is cheap and getting cheaper, but still. And "future proofing" to what end? It's a question I want to ask my museum.
11-16-2022, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Hi,

I already have enough computing power. This is true for medium format where it would not be so for small format of equivalent resolution. This, because I don't fire very many shots on MF whereas I am a lot more prolific with SF. But, then, I don't print large with SF whereas I do with MF. And the framing costs aren't an issue as I sell the MF prints. Someone else pays for the frames. SF not so much as a paper print but on textiles instead, so no frames.

And, it's all money making on this end. As it stands, the 16 MP I have in SF is sufficient for the smaller prints I make from it. Well, some money anyway. Not enough for me to quit my day job, but enough to where I can slowly build a fund to buy new photographic gear.

Now., as to 100 MP, I don't need that so much. But, I desire the improved sensor design over the 50 MP. And, Sony only offers that in the 100 MP and physically larger 150 MP sensors.They never revisited the 50 MP. Now, I can see Pentax upping their game with the 150 MP sensor as they have lenses than can cover that larger area. And, if they so chose, then I'd be looking to buy that. If Pentax opted to Me Too it with the 100 MP, I'm good with that as well.

As it stands right at this moment, it would have to be a Fuji GFX 100s as so many on this board have opted for. I'm standing pat with the old 40 MP Kodak CCD for a while yet. But I am really hesitant to move to the 645Z. Yes, it offers improvements over the 645D but it's still not what it could be with the 100 MP sensor.

And, I am not a fan of upscaling a smaller number of pixels to fit what I want on the printer. I'd prefer to have those pixels at capture. If this wasn't the case, I'd not have bothered with the 645 system in the first place.

Stan
11-16-2022, 08:10 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

I already have enough computing power. This is true for medium format where it would not be so for small format of equivalent resolution. This, because I don't fire very many shots on MF whereas I am a lot more prolific with SF. But, then, I don't print large with SF whereas I do with MF. And the framing costs aren't an issue as I sell the MF prints. Someone else pays for the frames. SF not so much as a paper print but on textiles instead, so no frames.

And, it's all money making on this end. As it stands, the 16 MP I have in SF is sufficient for the smaller prints I make from it. Well, some money anyway. Not enough for me to quit my day job, but enough to where I can slowly build a fund to buy new photographic gear.

Now., as to 100 MP, I don't need that so much. But, I desire the improved sensor design over the 50 MP. And, Sony only offers that in the 100 MP and physically larger 150 MP sensors.They never revisited the 50 MP. Now, I can see Pentax upping their game with the 150 MP sensor as they have lenses than can cover that larger area. And, if they so chose, then I'd be looking to buy that. If Pentax opted to Me Too it with the 100 MP, I'm good with that as well.

As it stands right at this moment, it would have to be a Fuji GFX 100s as so many on this board have opted for. I'm standing pat with the old 40 MP Kodak CCD for a while yet. But I am really hesitant to move to the 645Z. Yes, it offers improvements over the 645D but it's still not what it could be with the 100 MP sensor.

And, I am not a fan of upscaling a smaller number of pixels to fit what I want on the printer. I'd prefer to have those pixels at capture. If this wasn't the case, I'd not have bothered with the 645 system in the first place.

Stan
What size are you printing mf?
11-16-2022, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Sound reasoning, imo.
QuoteQuote:

The Z offers massive improvements over the D, imo. So, then it's down to price. I wonder if the Fuji 100s will really be cost/benefit plus for your operation.
QuoteQuote:

Stan
And I mainly agree, but there have been times in the past when it was important, and recent improvements make it a very viable option. I have used it myself in a museum setting in which the originals were placed on top of a print that was upscaled and you'd have needed a loupe to tell the difference. The large print was laying in a large vitrine with a plexi bonnet that was only 12" or slightly less tall---so you could get as close as mature eyes can see properly. In fact, the curators and designers decided to have the print be B+W so that viewers could tell the difference between the originals and the repro. That was Gigapixel AI, 2-3 versions ago.

And of course, if one does any kind of perspective corrections in PP there's pixel manipulations going on. I think at this stage of development and going forward we should all be thinking about the totality of digital capture more holistically, from the capture moment through all phases of processing, both in camera and out.