Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-23-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

645Z Shutt. er count only 2 actuations

I purchased the 645Z from B&H used 9+ Condition. The Camera looks LIKE new, I took 2 pictures with it and with SD card jpg .
I checked 2 sites for shutter count and it had 5 actuations.
Can the camera be RESET to show zero? OR is it truly the correct actuations. Thank you

12-23-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
I purchased the 645Z from B&H used 9+ Condition. The Camera looks LIKE new, I took 2 pictures with it and with SD card jpg .
I checked 2 sites for shutter count and it had 5 actuations.
Can the camera be RESET to show zero? OR is it truly the correct actuations. Thank you

did B&H give you a shutter count before you bought?
12-23-2022, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
did B&H give you a shutter count before you bought?
It was purchased as a used camera and thus expected to have been... well... USED.

I would also hope there's no way of rolling back activation counts and turn it into an untrustworthy stat. It would be no better than rolling back a car odometer. It's lying.
12-23-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It was purchased as a used camera and thus expected to have been... well... USED.

I would also hope there's no way of rolling back activation counts and turn it into an untrustworthy stat. It would be no better than rolling back a car odometer. It's lying.
I did not get a Shutter count from B&H Just a 9+ Condition.....which it is. LOOKS NEW Thanks

12-23-2022, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be that the previous owner sent the 645Z in for service and it received a new shutter assembly, which I think would result in the shutter count being set to 0. That 645Z could then have been sold or traded in to B&H.
12-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is that a bad or good thing if the shutter was replaced. What is confusing is the camera body looks brand new. No scuffs Nothing.
12-23-2022, 11:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Is that a bad or good thing if the shutter was replaced. What is confusing is the camera body looks brand new. No scuffs Nothing.
If the body is THAT pristine, it is more likely the shutter is original. Maybe it's just been sitting on a shelf for years.

12-24-2022, 05:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was going to call B&H and ask them if it was replaced or whatever they can tell me about it. They should know. I have no problem keeping it but if I decide one day to sell it I dont know what to describe it as very low actuations or if the shutter was replaced. Thank you all for your feedback
12-24-2022, 07:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I was going to call B&H and ask them if it was replaced or whatever they can tell me about it. They should know. I have no problem keeping it but if I decide one day to sell it I dont know what to describe it as very low actuations or if the shutter was replaced. Thank you all for your feedback
By the time you sell it I would hope it's either "gently-used" or "low activations". The former would be a lot better considering your investment and "low shutter count" may not even apply. Unless a receipt can be produced for replacing the shutter mechanism it comes down to trusting whatever someone says, and B&H said used with a low shutter count. It may even have been a shelf-display.

So get out and shoot, and don't worry about how many times the shutter opened. It sounds like you got a pristine copy.
12-24-2022, 08:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will just ignore it and use it TY
12-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From experience with having a shutter replaced, I suggest to invest the time and test all functions. On my camera the functions controlled by menu items C.14 & C.24 did not work properly after the shutter was replaced. I pointed it out to the workshop and they fixed it immediately.

If these and other functions are working then either the shutter is original, or if it was replaced it was done well.

Enjoy shooting with this camera it is a pleasure to work with.
12-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Theuns, I am just curious so I will contact B&H and see what they can tell me. I did check all the functions and all is good. I just might have caught a break. ( my xmas gift to myself. ) LOL
02-11-2023, 04:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the gift. Agree on "go shoot," and if you ever part with it, the only necessary description is "gently used."