Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2023, 05:35 PM   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster
lots of space....very good for an upgrade kit that would bring the resolution to 100MP. I will jump on it!

01-18-2023, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There was space behind the sensor that was unused.
Would some of that space be used for IBIS? Perhaps they left that space for updating. Might also help keep the sensor cool.
Thanks,
barondla
01-19-2023, 06:44 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Would some of that space be used for IBIS? Perhaps they left that space for updating. Might also help keep the sensor cool.
Thanks,
barondla
Perhaps. But air is a very poor conductor of heat.
01-19-2023, 09:41 AM   #49
Pentaxian

The DFX 100s is a nice size.... getting the 645z to FF DSLR size would be the only thing that would interest me.

01-22-2023, 11:31 PM - 4 Likes   #50

I shoot commercially with a 645z, anything where we're not moving much. Shoot Canon for more run-and-gun lifestyle stuff.

With that in mind - these are problems we always have:

1. Focus. The AF points are clustered around the centre and when you're shooting in sticks with the subject outside of that area, you're limited to using live view. This sucks because you have to change exposure for the live view (because we're lighting), then live view, focus, then shoot and wait for Digitech to confirm focus is good before switching exposure back. I love the 120mm but even at f16 that's not a ton of dof, especially when it's for a print campaign and focus is critical.

2. Tethering - we use Lightroom (I know C1, etc, but there are lots of boring reasons) and the tether drops for no reason at some point on every single shoot. We switch cable, we switch computer to backup, we even boot into Windows and each time the answer is different. It wastes a few minutes which feels like a few hours. We don't have this problem with Canon.

3. The preview time on the back of the camera (just for tests) is much slower than a 50mp DSLR. Again, it's just a time thing but it's painful.

4. I know there are leaf shutter lenses but sync at 1/125 breaks my heart 1 in every 100 shoots.

Fix these and toss in a 150mp sensor so I have to do less stitching (so that the agency has tons of background to crop for bus king or TSA from the same file) and I'm sold.

I don't care about size or weight. I don't want a mirrorless, I want an ovf. I love the dual tripod plate mounts. I love the images it shoots and I love Pentax menus and ergonomics. I love the 28-45mm (but I wouldn't complain about some faster primes).

It's still my favourite camera (especially since my GR2 bit the dust) and I think that Pentax / Ricoh have a unique offering that feels like it was made by people who shoot.
01-23-2023, 10:34 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bollo101 Quote
I shoot commercially with a 645z, anything where we're not moving much. Shoot Canon for more run-and-gun lifestyle stuff.

With that in mind - these are problems we always have:

1. Focus. The AF points are clustered around the centre and when you're shooting in sticks with the subject outside of that area, you're limited to using live view. This sucks because you have to change exposure for the live view (because we're lighting), then live view, focus, then shoot and wait for Digitech to confirm focus is good before switching exposure back. I love the 120mm but even at f16 that's not a ton of dof, especially when it's for a print campaign and focus is critical.

2. Tethering - we use Lightroom (I know C1, etc, but there are lots of boring reasons) and the tether drops for no reason at some point on every single shoot. We switch cable, we switch computer to backup, we even boot into Windows and each time the answer is different. It wastes a few minutes which feels like a few hours. We don't have this problem with Canon.

3. The preview time on the back of the camera (just for tests) is much slower than a 50mp DSLR. Again, it's just a time thing but it's painful.

4. I know there are leaf shutter lenses but sync at 1/125 breaks my heart 1 in every 100 shoots.

Fix these and toss in a 150mp sensor so I have to do less stitching (so that the agency has tons of background to crop for bus king or TSA from the same file) and I'm sold.

I don't care about size or weight. I don't want a mirrorless, I want an ovf. I love the dual tripod plate mounts. I love the images it shoots and I love Pentax menus and ergonomics. I love the 28-45mm (but I wouldn't complain about some faster primes).

It's still my favourite camera (especially since my GR2 bit the dust) and I think that Pentax / Ricoh have a unique offering that feels like it was made by people who shoot.
It's funny, I have not had that problem with the tethering, also using LR. I'm just using the plug-in, have the CD rom (!) for the other tethering program but haven't needed to use it yet. Agree about the focus points, and would love a touch screen for that. I've done well with both leaf shutter lenses, although only use them one in a blue moon, so have to kind of re-figure it before the shoot. The preview time has never bothered me. But like you even with its quirks I like it the best---and again yes on those 2 mounting positions. Funny how such a non-tech thing can make such a difference.
01-23-2023, 12:51 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since we are daydreaming here, Iet me add a high resolution screen on the back, keeping the tilt. It will be nice to view a picture and be able to see if the focus was done well. The current screen shows the focus well done, and when I look at the same picture on my computer, the focus is sometimes off.

02-02-2023, 02:50 AM   #53
Zz!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What’s native ugly mean in this context?
The native profiles have a color shift. This is especially noticeable in the shadows. On bright objects.
02-02-2023, 06:35 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zz! Quote
The native profiles have a color shift. This is especially noticeable in the shadows. On bright objects.
Is that in a particular development package or jpg from SOOC? Have you tried DXO on your raw files?
02-02-2023, 07:57 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zz! Quote
Could you post some examples for us, please? I'd like to know more.
02-15-2023, 02:12 PM   #56
Pentaxian

No actual info here but an interesting article:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/pentax-talks-the-645z-medium-format-...JWtmuScHHfhDlY