Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2023, 05:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

ideas for new 645z?

Hello,

I have a 645z with a few lenses and I love it. I also have a K1II and like it. he K1II has not been updated since it came out and Pentax said no mirrorless, exactly what I will buy soon therefore Canon or probably Nikon for me.

The 645z also has not been updated, and that is a shame because it is very good for a studio photography and for this an upgrade does not necessarily imply a mirrorless version. So a new sensor with the option to upgrade to it for the existing 645z would do for me.

01-02-2023, 06:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ummm, is this a question or just a statement? If you " have a 645z with a few lenses and I love it. I also have a K1II and like it" why do you feel like you need to switch to something else if your current gear does what you need and isn't broken?

I'm genuinely confused by these sorts of blanket statements from people.
01-02-2023, 07:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sevilla Quote
Hello,

I have a 645z with a few lenses and I love it. I also have a K1II and like it. he K1II has not been updated since it came out and Pentax said no mirrorless, exactly what I will buy soon therefore Canon or probably Nikon for me.
What is it about the mirrorless gear you like and want? I shoot Sony and Pentax but not medium format. I curious what features you need in the camera that will replace the k-1ii?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sevilla Quote
The 645z also has not been updated, and that is a shame because it is very good for a studio photography and for this an upgrade does not necessarily imply a mirrorless version. So a new sensor with the option to upgrade to it for the existing 645z would do for me.
What I think you are saying is that an updated sensor is the main need since this is a camera you use in the studio. This implies that your k-1ii must be used more than this camera outside the studio.

What would an upgrade look like? More mp? Higher dynamic range? Faster readout?

I’m seriously doubtful that there will be any upgrade option to existing 645z cameras. A newer sensor might be nice but it would probably require upgrades to memory, throughput, cpu etc. I would expect updates come with a new model.
01-03-2023, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Updating the 645Z is not difficult, but how to keep the price low.

01-03-2023, 07:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Whenever I see your posts, especially on this topic, my heart starts beating faster! So, an immediate question to you: what is a "low price"?

As a happy (thrilled more like it) Z user since I got it in 2014---I think in May, one of the first available in the U.S., I would say there are several things that would get me into the upgrade path:
  • IBIS + composition shift
  • PS
  • Focus stacking
  • Touch screen focus
  • Better tethering
  • Better DR/ISO performance
  • More mp
  • 4K video (FF crop would be fine) that was solid---doesn't have to be industry leading
Beyond that, I'd say something like a built-in radio trigger, a touch more speed, some time-lapse enhancements, some menu tweaks, etc.

A FF model---I'd do anything I could to get one....
01-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You are out of luck: R&D of Ricoh is in coming years occupied with developing a film camera. Unfortunately it is a common disease nowadays things going backwards in time and that ideas are based on childhood days, it is not a sign of the Pentax brand willing to survive. In my experience the Pentax brand is famous for missing the boat.... I wish they develop a follow up of the K-01 .
01-03-2023, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
You are out of luck: R&D of Ricoh is in coming years occupied with developing a film camera.
You are assuming they can't walk and chew gum at the same time. They can. And nowhere in the film camera announcement did they say they were abandoning development of digital. But perhaps you have some insider information? Please share.
QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately it is a common disease nowadays things going backwards in time and that ideas are based on childhood days,
You will need to clarify this statement with some support data, I think. One thing that is happening (and in fact is always happening if one cares to look hard enough) is that people in lots of areas look for cool things from the past: analog audio, bands, vintage clothing, cars, and on and on. it's especially common in the arts, and has been for centuries.
QuoteQuote:
it is not a sign of the Pentax brand willing to survive. In my experience the Pentax brand is famous for missing the boat.... I wish they develop a follow up of the K-01 .
Here you are right up on the edge of brand bashing...

01-03-2023, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My expectations have sunk over the past couple of years since this topic had sprung up from time to time.

At this stage I'll be over the moon with a software upgrade, introducing some updates that are possible with the existing hardware.

I'll be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for a software upgrade like that. The camera hardware is still a good deal and definitely not yet antiquated. If you go through a list of absolute "must haves" for a MF camera that you can use commercially, the z check all the boxes, albeit some in "pencil" these days.

So if they want to make a lot of MF users happy, port over the K3iii abilities that will work on the z hardware, including the new menu, just for the fresh looks.

Too much to ask? Probably...

Last edited by TDvN57; 01-03-2023 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Finger trouble
01-03-2023, 05:33 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your inputs. In reality I think that after so many years the 645z should have been ungraded with a better sensor may be 100Mp to make more sense of the medium format today. The K1ii is a good camera but I found that the lenses like the 24-105 do not mach similar Nikon or Canon. Mirrorless is lighter, important point for me; also I found that with the magnification of the image in the mirror, manual focusing is very good. And Pentax is thinking of putting resources in film cameras; may be in competition with Leica? And also why not a software update in years like TDvN57 noticed.

Last edited by Sevilla; 01-03-2023 at 05:39 PM.
01-03-2023, 06:17 PM - 2 Likes   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Interesting because this is a very similar explanation I heard from Pentax people last August regarding the K-1 III. Basically, they said the component costs would make it too expensive in 2022, so it's better to keep selling the K-1 II as a model with the best cost performance.

I hope this situation changes soon so that we can see both cameras introduced.
01-03-2023, 07:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The GFX100 launch price is $9,995, while the GFX100S launch price is $5,999. If the new P645 by the same CMOS, it is estimated that the price will be higher than the GFX100. After all, SLRS cost more, and if the new P645 by 54*40 CMOS, the price will be higher.
01-04-2023, 03:33 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Both the 645Z and K-1 II are overdue an update, with the 100MP sensor being the obvious route for the 645.

If you have and love both then why change?
01-04-2023, 05:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The GFX100 launch price is $9,995, while the GFX100S launch price is $5,999. If the new P645 by the same CMOS, it is estimated that the price will be higher than the GFX100. After all, SLRS cost more, and if the new P645 by 54*40 CMOS, the price will be higher.
Have you considered the Hasselblad prices and perhaps value for money?
  • They have X1D ii 50mpx (same as 645z 43x33mm), currently listed just under USD 6k;
  • X2D 100c 100mpx (same as Fuji 100 43x33mm), currently listed just over USD 8k;
  • and the big boy 645 Full Frame H6D 100c (53x40mm), currently listed at around USD 32k.
  • The 645z on B&H is currently USD 7k. As a kit with the 75mm lens USD 4k, and as a kit with the 55mm lens USD 8k. So if you think the 645z is good value for money, do yourself a favour and select the kit with the 75mm lens and save yourself 3k.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=645z&sts=ma

Another interesting question would be: which models are competitors in reality of applications, not just on specs?

Last edited by TDvN57; 01-04-2023 at 05:53 AM.
01-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
  • The 645z on B&H is currently USD 7k. As a kit with the 75mm lens USD 4k, and as a kit with the 55mm lens USD 8k. So if you think the 645z is good value for money, do yourself a favour and select the kit with the 75mm lens and save yourself 3k.

645z | B&H Photo Video

Another interesting question would be: which models are competitors in reality of applications, not just on specs?
The first bit of this, a snip from your post, is something I have been scratching my head about---it makes no sense at all on the seller's part. The second bit is an interesting question which I haven't examined very closely (and don't need to, being an early and very happy Z adopter with a very full set of lenses---no incentive for me to change at all...)
01-04-2023, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
The first bit of this, a snip from your post, is something I have been scratching my head about---it makes no sense at all on the seller's part. The second bit is an interesting question which I haven't examined very closely (and don't need to, being an early and very happy Z adopter with a very full set of lenses---no incentive for me to change at all...)
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

My ramblings & my opinion :-)
I spoke to a relative the other day that is resisting buying the 645z and says he is looking for a product with a future. I asked him to describe me the future he expects. The point people miss is that these are production machines not mobile phones with new features every year. You buy these with a purpose in mind. As long as it can perform those tasks, you don't need something more shiny. The better/shiny camera is not a "need" it is a "want". Which is also OK. want a lot of stuff I don't need. Although the "want" stuff won't make me better at photography, unfortunately.

My purpose with the 645z? I like to print the pictures that I like and hang them around the house. Every now and then I get tired of a picture then I strip it off the frame and print a new one and re-use the old stretch frame. People come and visit for an afternoon coffee, they usually stay until midnight and ask about the locations where the pictures were taken. Then they go on holiday to see those places. Makes me happy. :-)

Yes I did some commercial work with the 645z, which luckily forced me into big printing, I may pick that up again this year. Will see.
Pse feel free to disagree...