Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2023, 09:17 AM - 25 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am so glad that nobody told me that...

I am so glad that nobody told me that the 645z is not a wildlife camera. Otherwise I might never have thought to take the folowing pictures of fast moving birds and critters. These are all manual focus as I have found that even if I have auto focus available, it is just not reliable and will tend to jump to other objects it thinks should be in focus. I thought it was a Pentax problem, aparently not.

#1 & #2: 645z + FA* 300mm
#3: 645z + P67 55-100mm - Butterflies in a mating dance with very fast and erratic turns.
#4: 645z + P67 55-100mm (I think) - Moth in a dive to hide from predators
#5: 645z + A* 600mm - Bulbuls chasing each other
#6: 645z + P67 55-100mm (I think) - butterfly on flowers
#7 & #8: 645z + A* 600mm - Eagle landing
#9: 645z + FA 150-300mm - Elephants fighting

Are you also glad nobody told that the 645z cannot do a type of photography?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 

Last edited by TDvN57; 01-19-2023 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Added the pic of the elephants fighting
01-19-2023, 09:23 AM - 11 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done.

Every camera is a wildlife camera... not every photographer is a wildlife photographer, though.
01-19-2023, 09:29 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I've taken 645s on canoe trips (film) and somewhere have a moose image taken with a Mamiya 645, so it wasn't me that said that. What I will say is that, it's not a system optimized for that kind of shot. But, big camera, heavy lens, MF, maybe it will give some of the "I can't get the shots I want without great AF" types pause for thought. The need for fast AF is often way overstated, and the results of those who switch to get it are often less than impressive.

QuoteQuote:
Every camera is a wildlife camera... not every photographer is a wildlife photographer, though.
Exactly.

A good wildlife photographer who can use higher resolution but harder to use cameras has a leg up in terms of the final image, on those who need every mechanical advantage to get their images, which usually means 20-24 MP files.

QuoteQuote:
I am so glad that nobody told me that the 645z is not a wildlife camera.
If you're like me, you take the picture you see with the gear you have with you. No need for someone else to tell me what a camera can or can't do. Experience trumps the commentary of the nay sayers. The question should be not whether you can or can't but, how, if you have a particular set-up, you can use it in various circumstances.

Last edited by normhead; 01-19-2023 at 09:36 AM.
01-19-2023, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I am so glad that nobody told me that the 645z is not a wildlife camera.
Wildlife can be as slow and as close as a snail.

01-19-2023, 10:17 AM - 8 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Wildlife can be as slow and as close as a snail.
My wildlife images don't include snails..... very often.
That being said.... this is a young bear foraging for food. The issue was't the capture itself, but having lots of images to choose from when selecting a pose.

Taken with the "slow focussing" DA* 60-250.
01-19-2023, 11:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My wildlife images don't include snails..... very often.
That being said.... this is a young bear foraging for food. The issue was't the capture itself, but having lots of images to choose from when selecting a pose.

Taken with the "slow focussing" DA* 60-250.
Wowsers. That almost looks like a diorama shot like the old Viewmaster photogs would take!.
01-19-2023, 12:28 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I knew a great chef in Thailand that used only a rice cooker for years to make almost anything. I also knew people who couldn't cook an egg because they didn't have a proper pan. Who do you think I listened to?

01-19-2023, 01:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Wowsers. That almost looks like a diorama shot like the old Viewmaster photogs would take!.
Most wildlife images are taken at a distance, and that makes them look flat. This one taken at 88mm... as the old saying goes, if you don't like your pictures, get closer. In this case I was joined by a park ranger that was familiar with the bear.
01-19-2023, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I almost had to flee my camping site in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park.

Taken with a mere Canon compact. This red deer wouldn't back down as its grazing patch was in my camping site in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. It came within five feet of me, as I was resting from my day of driving in a lounge chair near my Caravan.

01-19-2023, 02:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nicely done.

This is text to put on a tile
01-19-2023, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Likewise, I'm glad no one told me not to shoot a political protest rally in Madrid with my 645D . . . in low light, no less! Or in a small American town, for that matter.
01-19-2023, 05:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nicely done.

So very true! What separates great wildlife photographers from great photographers of other subjects is their patience, skill in concealment, tracking, hunting and stalking, and have a great understanding of wildlife behavior. The camera and equipment doesn't really make that big of a difference,
01-19-2023, 06:01 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely stuff!

I haven't really done much wildlife photography, preferring to leave the stage to those who are truly passionate and skilled in this most demanding area. Here are a couple of dabble though, from my 645D days...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And one from the 645Z

[IMG][/IMG]
01-23-2023, 03:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Taken with a mere Canon compact. This red deer wouldn't back down as its grazing patch was in my camping site in Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. It came within five feet of me, as I was resting from my day of driving in a lounge chair near my Caravan.
That is actually a bull elk. Just fyi.
01-23-2023, 07:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am also glad nobody told me I could not do street photography with the 645z.

Took these a couple of years ago in Shanghai. I wanted to capture how the average people lived, not the glitzy and rich. Generally, I found people worked very hard and long hours. It was capitalism in a really raw form which us westerners had not seen in generations. This experience built in me a great respect for the Chinese people.

I have since stopped taking street pictures because of the many privacy laws jumping up in many countries, people's resentment of being exploited by street lurkers and the silent threat of instant street justice if you are perceived to be a danger. At the time I avoided taking pictures of children, or younger women. Perhaps I was just overly cautious, but better to be on the safe side than trigger some jealous husband or boyfriend deciding to eliminate a perceived threat.

What picture are you not supposed to be able to take with your 645?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo