Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2023, 09:27 AM   #1

Shutter not firing when mirror locked up.

A bit of an interesting one, but a silly issue i've noticed on my 6x7 which what just come back from CLA.

When I use a flash connected to a sync port and have the camera lock the mirror up, the shutter does not fire. either via a shutter release cable, or with the shutter button there is no resistance in the shutter release. however this does not happen when I do not have a flash hooked up.

This does not happen every time I lock the mirror up. But its more often than not. If nothing is connected to the sync ports it works fine.
I've tried fresh batteries, and that was not the fix. Any ideas?

01-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Any chance you've got the shutter speed set to faster than the sync speed?
01-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep check to verify that your shutter speed is 1/30 or slower (flash sync speed) and that your flash cord is securely connected to the "X" terminal. (not the "FP" terminal)

Phil.
01-22-2023, 02:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Any chance you've got the shutter speed set to faster than the sync speed?
Yep was at a 1 second exposure.

---------- Post added 01-22-23 at 02:24 PM ----------

Yep definitely under a 30th and securely connected to the X terminal

02-27-2023, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Check your method. Some flashes (non-Pentax) cannot be used with mirror lock-up on the 6x7/67, and this particularly applies to the use of leaf shutter lenses (LS) with synced flash triggers. As a first step, try the flash without mirror lock-up. If it works thusly, that is the problem — no MLU with flash sync.