Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2023, 01:59 PM   #1

Pentax 645Z New User Questions

Hi Everyone,

Just got a Pentax 645Z and am stunned by how much I like it. I just have 2 questions that I couldn't find answers to.

1. There appears to be adhesive marks from a film of some sort and is on the underside of the mirror. Is this normal? It has no affect on shooting. Please look at the attached pictures.

2. Theres a tiny spec of dust I can see in the viewfinder. I suspect its caught between the focus screen and prism. Is there safe easy way to clean this? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks so much! Here's my website and instagram if anyone is interested in seeing my work.

Dylan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro  Photo 
02-11-2023, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just took a look at mine. The circles are likely adhesive that holds the thin mirror to the plate that flips up.
A Giottos rocket blower will deal with small amounts of dust. Keep in mind the 645Z has interchangeable focusing screens. So you could pop it down or out, and give it a gentle puff of air. Or don't work with it.
02-11-2023, 08:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Just took a look at mine. The circles are likely adhesive that holds the thin mirror to the plate that flips up.
A Giottos rocket blower will deal with small amounts of dust. Keep in mind the 645Z has interchangeable focusing screens. So you could pop it down or out, and give it a gentle puff of air. Or don't work with it.
So yours has it too? This is standard?
02-11-2023, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DYFA Quote
So yours has it too? This is standard?
Yes and yes. It is perfectly normal.
Keep in mind this is a "partially silvered" mirror - in other words, optically it passes some light through it.

At the right angle and lighting you may be able to see through it, and that's why you're seeing silicone RTV (or whatever) adhesive on the back to attach it to the metal holder.